I'm gonna need reinforcements.

:rofl:

#35 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:54 AM

Ok, cool, I never saw those stats. I've only seen older from research of Gentoo itself... I guess thats now less reliable...

#36 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:37 PM

View PostSphere, on Nov 2 2006, 04:54 AM, said:

Ok, cool, I never saw those stats. I've only seen older from research of Gentoo itself... I guess thats now less reliable...
Yeah, I can only say right now it's about even. I don't know about past stats. I know that Xfce is starting to steal users away from Gnome, since it uses GTK but is a lot smaller and faster. Minimalist window managers like Fluxbox are also pretty popular with the Gentoo crowd.

#37 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:23 AM

the first I'd consider though is Xwindows or Enlightenment... I'm already using enlightenment sometimes since it's very hardware aimed, but... I still prefer KDE.

To say with Linus Torvalds: "I don't know why ppl even use gnome, it's retarded"

I'm not judging anyone, but I do agree.... I can't handle it!

#38 dwflo

dwflo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 04:52 PM

:headset:
Congrats MO, Fedora is a very good distro. Been using it as my main and only OS for over a year now. Do not miss Winblows one iota.
I suggest using the Add/Remove Software interface, to browse and choose the apps and extras you may want. Also suggest getting Yumex, an alternative to the Add/Remove Software interface for yum, it is worth trying out.
Go to http://forum.fedoraforum.org/ for any questions you might have, they are very helpful. I might add they have one of the best support forums out there.
You can install the Livna repository by obtaining the livna-release-6-1.noarch.rpm from http://rpm.livna.org/.
After it is installed, login as root, edit the file /etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo and look for the line "enabled=1". Change the 1 to 0 and save it. Now if you use the Yumex interface, you can choose Livna in the Repos selection, without the Fedora repos. You may want to leave the livina.repo alone, as there are times when you need the Fedora repositories enabled, to solve dependency issues.
Within the Livna repository you can get the Nvidia drivers built for Fedora exclusively. This assures they will be installed properly.
May be confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, there is no need to invoke yum from the terminal.
Hope this will help.
Dave

#39 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 05:43 PM

thanks dave! i'm looking to run fedora again soon. and thanks to everyone for their help and support :headset:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users