15 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

images/news/windows7.jpgThere has been little talk of Windows 7 builds since the public release of the first beta build (7000) last month, but Microsoft has definitely been busy. What many seem to overlook is that build 7000 was compiled on the afternoon of December 12, 2008.

Since then, there have been many other builds compiled, including 7003, 7004, 7012, 7015, 7016, 7022, 7025, 7028, and 7034. A few of these have leaked, but only one hit public torrent sites. This past weekend, the 32-bit version of build 7022 started to rage across piracy networks. According to the build string (7022.winmain.090115-1850), it was compiled January 15, 2009 at 6:50pm. To put things into perspective, build 7025 was compiled exactly five days later.

Some have asked me if this build is worth downloading and installing, and every time my response is "that depends on how patient you are." I've decided to put together a quick list of things that have changed since build 7000, so users who haven't downloaded the leak can see what those with 7022 have been seeing (beyond just bug fixes and performance tweaks):

* A noticeably faster installation
* A Homegroup is created automatically during installation (no longer asks you if you'd like one
* Taskpane in Windows Explorer (left-hand column) has changed from blue to grayish white
* Control Panel: task pane on the left has been removed and choosing the view is now done in the top right (Category, Large Icons, Small Icons)
* An IE8 RC1 build is included, works slightly faster
* WMP12: a slightly new icon, album art is bigger, and the Library button is now in the top right corner of the now playing window
* Icons: Homegroups has a new one, Paint has a new paste icon (which we've seen in the leaked 7025 screenshots), and jump lists for certain pinned items like Control Panel have icons for every option
* There's a new fade transition effect when you change wallpapers and Windows Explorer animations when moving items have been tweaked
* In Windows Features it is now possible to remove "Media Playback Applications" (Windows DVD Maker, Windows Media Center, and Windows Media Player)
* Two new items in can be added to the Start Menu: Homegroup and Downloads
* Gadgets now work regardless of whether UAC is on or off

Personally I'll be waiting for Microsoft to give out a newer build officially, but 7022 shows that the road to a release candidate has been a smooth one so far.

ArsTechnica

#2 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:10 PM

Seems more and more promising. I'd like to try 7 but I don't want to risk anything on my computer. Also, I have formatted and re-installed all my stuff during the Christmas holiday and don't want to start over again (I know what MO will say, but I don't like formatting as much as him :rofl:).

The way people talk about it, I'm starting to see Windows 7 as something like the savior of mankind! Well, maybe only the savior of Microsoft, but that's already a big part of mankind...

By the way, anyone know of a safe way (not risking to have it completely disabled) of upgrading to WMP 11? I thought XP Corporate SP3 would include it, but it seems not... I'm stuck with WMP 9! :giggle: I don't want to fall into the Windows Genuine Advantage trap and lose my player. Feel free to PM me if you don't feel like posting it, you know... :talker:

Edited by hog, 10 February 2009 - 11:11 PM.

#3 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:33 PM

7035 is around now :giggle:

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Feb 10 2009, 03:33 PM, said:

7035 is around now :rofl:

:giggle:

link!!!

(please?)

:talker:

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

@hog: i don't blame ya. have you tried other media players? is there something in 11 that you need?

#6 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

new builds question:
Can I upgrade my 7000 build?
Will my key still work?
Ehm, and erm...

Where to get them?

#7 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:06 AM

These are 'interim' builds, not released to public, not meant to be used by the public, and particularly, not suitable for 'general release'.

This board (and any other for that matter) could become very confused with people's issues regarding Windows 7 faults if we were all using different builds, especially ones which have obviously been leaked.

We all need to be on the 'same' level here, if were to test and iron out Windows 7's faults/bugs before RC1, surely?

Also......hog, upgrade to Win7, WMP12 is fantastic :giggle:

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:25 AM

View PostSphere, on Feb 10 2009, 03:53 PM, said:

new builds question:
Can I upgrade my 7000 build?
Will my key still work?
Ehm, and erm...

Where to get them?

you can upgrade, but for beta to beta...i'd do a clean install.

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:27 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Feb 10 2009, 04:06 PM, said:

These are 'interim' builds, not released to public, not meant to be used by the public, and particularly, not suitable for 'general release'.

This board (and any other for that matter) could become very confused with people's issues regarding Windows 7 faults if we were all using different builds, especially ones which have obviously been leaked.

We all need to be on the 'same' level here, if were to test and iron out Windows 7's faults/bugs before RC1, surely?

yada yada yada. all the members of said board would be running the latest, if one of the admins would cough up a link...

#10 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:59 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 11 2009, 12:27 AM, said:

yada yada yada. all the members of said board would be running the latest, if one of the admins would cough up a link...

I'll give ya the link mo, but this version is not SSD compatible?

#11 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:03 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 11 2009, 01:25 AM, said:

you can upgrade, but for beta to beta...i'd do a clean install.
Not gonna do a reinstall... for now, 7 is my main OS, not gonna try something that might screw up anything, nor am I willing to loose my data

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Feb 10 2009, 04:59 PM, said:

I'll give ya the link mo, but this version is not SSD compatible?

#13 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:21 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 10 2009, 06:41 PM, said:

@hog: i don't blame ya. have you tried other media players? is there something in 11 that you need?
Well, it's more that I've become accustomed to it. Also little features like simple CD songs extraction and the plugin for MSN Messenger to show the song playing. The latter doesn't matter that much but a more useful thing is it allows playing my computer's music on my Xbox 360.

#14 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 03:26 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 10 2009, 04:27 PM, said:

keep your panties on, you might see RC1 around late march early april if all goes well.

Maybe even sooner if your a good monkey

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:15 AM

View Posthog, on Feb 10 2009, 07:21 PM, said:

Well, it's more that I've become accustomed to it. Also little features like simple CD songs extraction and the plugin for MSN Messenger to show the song playing. The latter doesn't matter that much but a more useful thing is it allows playing my computer's music on my Xbox 360.

ah, i see. i dunno. i do use wmp, but only the basic stuff...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users