16 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

images/news/virus.jpgAVG Technologies will release AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.0, the latest version of the company’s popular and widely-used free security software, which now incorporates protection against spyware through a new combined anti-virus and anti-spyware engine.

System Requirements

Download

#2 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

Thanks a bunch. Downloading now to update V 7 on my office machine with XP Home... :giggle:

Edited by talker, 25 April 2008 - 07:34 PM.

#3 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 11:44 PM

have to say its pretty big improvement over 7

#4 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 02:49 AM

Nice to know, maybe it will knock Antivir off the top of the charts, we shall see, thanks Dave.

#5 highlander

highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:34 AM

I really liked onecare for its antispyware.

I had a computer from a friend filled with spyware... One installation of onecare 2.5 beta and all gone... Things that would have taken a lot to clean up.

How will this compare against Kaspersky or Nod32?

I find that they are both lacking on the anti spyware section. I even flnd it that adaware doesn't really work against the most awesome spywares like programs that want you to buy their **** just to get rid of their own ****. Onecare did take care of it, but after a while it got nagging with the firewall and if you don't have things the way it wants it, it complains too much and it seems that it made my computer slower, and it didn't provide any info about what its doing. Its all TOO transparent and I don't really like it... I went back to kaspersky to try out again. So.. we'll see how it goes... Kaspersky also tends to detect virus on loops that aren't really there and damages the files, hence why i went looking for another solution.

After all the blob i've written, would I be happy with avg free 8?

#6 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:42 AM

Just upgraded from 7.5 to 8, uninstalled spybot and adaware did a scan and found 126 adware items mostly in IE and some cookies in FF no viruses. using the toolbar, i dont notice any lag. i dont even know its running

Im really happy they put in Antivirus and Adware all into one engine

so far i rate it a 8 out of 10 on XP32. ill be trying it on XP64 tomorrow.

Its nice to find a easy AV for x64bit XP and Vista

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:46 AM

i gave up on kav a bit ago. this i'll have to keep an eye on, as i really don't trust avg to do anything but have a notification icon in the task bar...

#8 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 25 2008, 11:46 PM, said:

i gave up on kav a bit ago. this i'll have to keep an eye on, as i really don't trust avg to do anything but have a notification icon in the task bar...

To be honest Mo, I have always used (and still do use) AVG on all my customers machines. For those that keep the program current, they have never lost a system. The average "end user" has no real idea about attachments, commands on websites to download something, and such things. They are much of the time very careless mostly from ignorance but the system is still exposed to higher risks. AVG has done a great job of saving many systems from ruin... :giggle:

#9 highlander

highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

I have repaired so many systems that had AVG installed with bloated viruses that I often times have to use a trial version of nod to do the cleaning... and many spyware tools and lots of independent cleaning programs for specific ads.

Which was why I really liked OneCare. but one care made my pc a bit slow and it didn't show that much info...

MS gave me a full year.. but I am still unsure... the other thing is that most of the times the Tune up - AKA the defrag doesn't always run and its not that comprehensive. I would have expected being from M$ that it would defrag registry, defrag system files to the fastest location on the drive available and a few other things... its not the case.. .I still have it on my vista partition... But trying out Kaspersky again from the one year sub that I got from the chineese site.

Maybe i'll try out this one. I don't get that much spyware with all honesty as I am an active internet browser, not just a link clicker... So... I don't get that much crap. Besides.. i have FF with most blocks.

#10 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

Along the same lines...I have used AVG for clients, but Antivir wins n comparison for free apps, hopeful the new version will be even better, as for Kav, no issues and since I use Opera and have no infections detected on my personal system when I do scan with the older Ad Aware, (new one I dislike a great deal)and Spybot neither finds anything. I tried OneCare long ago when it first came out as a beta tester and at that time I thought it was absolutely horrible which was a dissapointment cause it seemed like it may be a good solution by description. Anyways, Antivir for now for clients, has proven in use and via online review to beat out AVG and Avast, and for me Kav (also from the Chinese site) works out fine for me.

#11 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:27 AM

I live for the day that some clever OS maker will rid the need for anyone to install any protection...........Linux anyone? :giggle:

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:09 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Apr 26 2008, 06:27 PM, said:

I live for the day that some clever OS maker will rid the need for anyone to install any protection...........Linux anyone? :cigar:
well scara, you could always dress up ubuntu to look /crash/act like xp... :giggle:

#13 highlander

highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:55 AM

Can you also make it as compatible along the way?

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:32 AM

View Posthighlander, on Apr 26 2008, 07:55 PM, said:

Can you also make it as compatible along the way?

:giggle:

#15 highlander

highlander

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

LOL you guys crack me up....

Why don't we make a war Linux vs M$ just for kicks?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users