95 replies to this topic

#61 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:20 AM

nothing? lol, i know. kav is doa. never again. you should have said what av you were running. what a load. just like the latest nod32: utter bollocks. i mean, wtf? trash. there are no new "decent" av out there atm...thank god i have an old copy of eset on disc :cc_surrender:

#62 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:19 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Mar 24 2008, 12:20 AM, said:

nothing? lol, i know. kav is doa. never again. you should have said what av you were running. what a load. just like the latest nod32: utter bollocks. i mean, wtf? trash. there are no new "decent" av out there atm...thank god i have an old copy of eset on disc :cc_surrender:

Kav has always worked well on x86. For 2 years anything x64 sucked. I've never had any issues with it. When Scara chimed in about how sensitive the burning process was, I decided turning it off couldn't hurt. It was a 4 hour battle but I got all drivers installed and my wireless card working. :rofl_mini: That .pdf is worth it's weight in gold for setup. I worked my way through that doc last night. I can't help but think I slowed it down with the Vista style eye candy. Hopefully I'll get through the rest of the tweaking tips today

#63 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

hehe, after attempting a cluster change on my server install, and several attempts to repair it ( :rofl_mini: ), i'm back in xpx64. while i enjoyed running server, i did have an odd issue: my icons tended to burn in the screen within minutes :cc_surrender: i will be watching this new install for the same issue, but really am concerned that there was some odd driver/res thing going on :(

#64 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

I can't help but think I slowed it down with the Vista style eye candy.

Yup. I run it in Win95 classic mode :cc_surrender: nice & fast :rofl_mini:

#65 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:10 PM

i can now point to something with the drivers/res/gui candy in server causing my icon burn-in issue: just checked my system, left xp x64 running all this morning, and no burn-in. if anyone does/does not notice this when running server-turned-work station, please mention it here, as i'd like to track down the culprit(s)... :cc_surrender:

#66 bluerip

bluerip

BS Meter embedded, BS attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:All things SciFi, Hidden Science,& Hiddin Truth

Posted 25 March 2008 - 05:32 AM

I love this thread. I don't know why but, I would like to nominate this as the "most entertaining thread" to read. It's a hoot! :rofl_mini:

On a sober note it makes total sense. Server 2008 is to Vista what Server 2003 is to XP, atleast in the 64-bit sense. Stability and reliability.
Too bad MS didn't do the same thing with Vista 64-bit and base it on Server 2008 if it were only around at the time.

"Server", What an OS ought to be. :cc_surrender:

#67 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

I'm attending a MS Server 2008 convention the 27th of this month in Spokane...i have heard that i will get a free copy of Server 2008 :cc_surrender:

#68 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

View PostChristopholofigus, on Mar 25 2008, 01:25 AM, said:

I'm attending a MS Server 2008 convention the 27th of this month in Spokane...i have heard that i will get a free copy of Server 2008 :lol:
:cc_surrender:

So far the only programs that havne't worked are Kav, Outback Plus 6 and Acronis. I'd have to buy Acronis Echo workstation to install that. I can still back up from 11 Home on my Vista install. I'll have to move my .pst files and FF profile manually. I went with a trial of Symantic Endpoint for AV simply because they actually sell a single license of it for around $50. Seems lightweight and unobtrusive. :( Everyone else wants 5 license packs for their business products. :) Tomorrow I'll give 3Dmark '06 a whirl. Last night I was busy installing my trial of Office 2007. And tweking with my favorite reg hacks. :rofl_mini:

Mo no signs of icon burn in for me. Driver issue on your vid cards?

#69 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 03:46 PM

View PostChristopholofigus, on Mar 25 2008, 01:25 AM, said:

I'm attending a MS Server 2008 convention the 27th of this month in Spokane...i have heard that i will get a free copy of Server 2008 :lol:
wow, cool (considering how expensive it is, i would do a roadtrip for this :cc_surrender: ).

View PostWFO, on Mar 25 2008, 05:38 AM, said:

:rofl_mini:

So far the only programs that havne't worked are Kav, Outback Plus 6 and Acronis. I'd have to buy Acronis Echo workstation to install that. I can still back up from 11 Home on my Vista install. I'll have to move my .pst files and FF profile manually. I went with a trial of Symantic Endpoint for AV simply because they actually sell a single license of it for around $50. Seems lightweight and unobtrusive. :) Everyone else wants 5 license packs for their business products. :lol: Tomorrow I'll give 3Dmark '06 a whirl. Last night I was busy installing my trial of Office 2007. And tweking with my favorite reg hacks. :(

Mo no signs of icon burn in for me. Driver issue on your vid cards?
great, glad you are liking it. thanks for the tip re the symantic. oh, i seem to have a mild case of "screen persistence": pixels take their time "letting go" of bright contrasting static images (i tend to leave the system on all day, and leave the monitor on in power settings). this is only showing up if i get a certain blue hued background (as in the welcome/log off screen in xp and the server). still, i wish i had gone with an ati this time...

#70 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:57 PM

hehe, i'm back in server again. had a day off and couldn't resist (can't be left out of the "fun" lol)...

#71 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:11 PM

Normally this would belong it the app section. Since they added support for W S2K8 I thought i'd put it here. :cc_surrender:

[Update] CCleaner v2.06.567

This new version changes the following:

v2.06.567
--------------------------------------------
- Added Google Firefox Toolbar history cleaning.
- Winapp.ini is now embedded in the main EXE.
- Added ability to override default embedded INI files with:
winsys1.ini, winreg1.ini and winapp1.ini.
- Updated ability to append to default embedded INI files with: winsys2.ini, winreg2.ini and winapp2.ini.
- Updated system info code to support Win2k8.
- Improved IE History cleaning with .DAT files.
- Improved accessibility features of treeview control.
- Removal of version history from About screen.
- Options section checkboxes resized to fit caption text.
- GUI tweaks including Piriform logo change.
- Minor performance improvements.

http://www.filehippo...nload_ccleaner/

#72 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:44 AM

wow, the symantec thing is at 481 megs! holy 'size-of-an-os" application! dang!

#73 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:14 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Mar 25 2008, 09:44 PM, said:

wow, the symantec thing is at 481 megs! holy 'size-of-an-os" application! dang!

I wish I spent some more time with the OS before installing the AV. I think it seriously affected boot times. :) Dunno. I was nervous about spending too much time online without an AV. I did image my installation before the install. Unfortunately I now have a good 15 hours into installing programs, tweaking the bios (XP hacks for Outlook MinTotray and Context menu handlers work) transfering bookmarks and .pst files. I'd hate to do all that over if a stop watch proves it's a pig compared to initial impressions. :roadrunner: It may be a combination of that and all the programs and startup services. I still like the overall performance compared to Vista especially with 2 virtual machines folding in the background 24/7. :chriso:

Edited by WFO, 26 March 2008 - 10:46 PM.

#74 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:14 PM

hehe, i had a clue re symantec when it was taking over 20 minutes to update...then i decided to check out my uninstall options, and that's when i discovered the shear installed size. i canceled the update (after 25 minutes), and used the control panel uninstall. i have been running without an av for some time, doing those online scans ever so often, but want to try nod32 (not the new build, which is much more intrusive, like many recent releases of the usual suspects...).

#75 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:58 PM

Other than boot times, I don't remember a decrease in speed after install. I haven't used a Symantec product since 2001. One computer at work has their free online protection. it sucks. bogs things down just as I remembered. The corporate product is 100% better. Don't know why you had an update that took 20 minutes unless you are on dial-up. :chriso: Download and updates have been painless for me.

Based on this, it takes a business version of Nod to be compatible. Is that wrong????

http://www.win2008workstation.com/wordpres...urity-software/

Don't know why Kav's Internet Security 7 installs when Kav 7 wouldn't. :roadrunner:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users