#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:13 PM

images/news/microsoft.jpgMicrosoft tackles some of Vista more annoying problems

Windows Vista was released to businesses in late November and to consumers in late January. Over the past eight months, numerous issues have cropped up with the operating system and Microsoft has been hard at work in solving them.

According to a posting at nV News, Microsoft has issued two comprehensive software patches to testers which resolve a laundry list of Windows Vista issues. The "938979 Vista Performance and Reliability Pack" improves performance when copying/moving large files, copying/moving large directories with large amounts of data and resuming from hibernate. Other problems addressed include fixes to Vista's Memory Manager and an issue where a computer would lose its default Gateway address when resuming from sleep.

The "938194 Vista Compatibility and Reliability Pack" contains a variety of updates to improve the reliability and compatibility of graphics cards and printers. Also included are enhancements to HD DVD/Blu-ray playback on large monitors.

The two update packs are technically only available to Windows Vista testers. However, a brave nV News forum subscriber Posted a link where anyone can download the two update packs in x86 and x64 versions.

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:53 PM

yeah buddy! :)

#3 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Jul 30 2007, 12:53 PM, said:

yeah buddy! :)
Bah, when I get my motherboard back I will format and won't even put Vista back on... My wireless doesn't even work: no drivers.

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

so...how do you install the "fix"? :)

#5 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

dont know, im at work is it an exe?

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:38 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Jul 30 2007, 01:33 PM, said:

dont know, im at work is it an exe?
nope, a bunch of "msu" files...
ah ha:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934307

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 09:48 PM

i'll try it when i get home tonight :)

#8 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

Let me know how it goes!! I might try it if nobody has problems.

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:34 PM

lol! it installs the patches if you click on them. windows update handles it all. just installed both, but i'm waiting for a torrent to finish before i reboot...

#10 FibreOptic

FibreOptic

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

:)

OK, both files installed correctly and I restarted my computer. Upon reboot, however, Windows was unable to identify my network. Disabling and then re-enabling the network controller seems to have fixed it, and it hasn't had that problem on any subsequent reboots, so hopefully it was just a fluke. I'm about to run through a couple of games (WoW, BF2, C&C3) and see if there are any differences. I'll post on how gameplay has been affected.

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

View PostFibreOptic, on Jul 30 2007, 03:48 PM, said:

:)

OK, both files installed correctly and I restarted my computer. Upon reboot, however, Windows was unable to identify my network. Disabling and then re-enabling the network controller seems to have fixed it, and it hasn't had that problem on any subsequent reboots, so hopefully it was just a fluke. I'm about to run through a couple of games (WoW, BF2, C&C3) and see if there are any differences. I'll post on how gameplay has been affected.

thanks for the warning m8 :victory:

#12 FibreOptic

FibreOptic

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

Well, I have now briefly played WoW and BF2 after the newly leaked patch. I haven't played C&C:3 yet because I can't find my game DVD. :-\ But from what I've seen so far from the first two, there is a slight increase in framerate but the biggest, and most noticeable difference is that there is no more random jumpiness going on anymore. BF2 was previously unplayable for me due to the fact that the screen would jump and lag about once every 3 seconds. WoW also had this problem, however it wasn't has difficult to play since it's not a shooter. I'm thinking I shouldn't have any jumping or lagging video issues with an 8800GTS640, but I figured the problem was with Vista. Now that the patch has been installed, both games jumped one time, when they first loaded, which I'm going to assume was a result of the textures and geometries being loaded and stored into the video card's memory. The in-game experience for both games, BF2 especially, is hugely improved. I'm curious to see if anyone else has such an noticeable increase in performance. Maybe this is indeed what will fix Vista for most of us.

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

well, i just rebooted. no ill effects so far...

#14 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:22 AM

Great to hear guys :)

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:35 AM

here is a shot of the two patches nestled in their folder:

Posted Image

clicking on them activates windows update, which takes care of the install. things seem a little bit more responsive. well see...
(and no, after install, it does not say "vista ultimate service pack 1" in winver :) )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users