41 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

Wubi is an unofficial Ubuntu installer for Windows users that will bring you into the Linux world with a single click. Wubi allows you to install and uninstall Ubuntu as any other application. If you heard about Linux and Ubuntu, if you wanted to try them but you were afraid, this is for you.

Screenshots

Requirements

256 MB RAM and an 1 GHz or faster Intel/AMD processor is recommended for optimal performance, though Xubuntu might work on less. As for disk space, the installation requires a minimum of 4GB. This space is mostly used by the virtual hard disk file. Most computers purchased within the last 3 years should be able to run Ubuntu fine, and Xubuntu is suitable for older computers.

What platforms are supported?

Wubi will run on on all Windows versions from Windows 98 to Windows Vista, more platforms to come soon. 64-bit builds are possible but not yet available. Linux/*nix/*BSD is supported through Lubi (download), and Mac OSX will eventually be supported through Mubi (developers still needed).

Download Wubi

I think i might give this a try :talker:

#2 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

Very interesting.

Thanks Navy! :talker:

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

I wonder if this would be a good way to run the folding@home client. What you guys think? Does this work like a window so you can keep doing windows stuff?

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:11 PM

this is a really cool idea/app. hey chris, you have to boot to it. it is installed as a folder in windows though, so no pains in the bootloader/partitions dept. if you want to uninstall :talker:

#5 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

Hummm, interesting!! I think I'll stick with doing it the other way!

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:44 AM

well, i just install it, and ran the ubuntu "installer". i'll be back (hopefully in ubuntu) in just a minute...

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:53 AM

lol. faild. "no block device found"...
no worky here...

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:57 AM

oh, that was ubuntu studio i tried with wubi. i'll try the vanilla (had this issue before, with an attempted regular partition install of "studio" days ago, though you would think an OS purported to be for "studio" work would know what a scsi drive is...).

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:34 AM

while i'm waiting for the download of the files to finish, i must add that the new bootloader is real nice. it looks and acts like an MS arrangement (as if you had two MS OS, and gives options for windows recovery). this will be a welcome enhancement to us windows users who would like to run a linux install, without the issues of using previous linux loaders (if i'm understanding what they are doing over at wubi correctly).

#10 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:39 AM

I patiently waiting on your findings I hope it all goes smoothly, as i would like to try it

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 02:48 AM

no go. the loader can't find a drive. wasted over two hours doing this...off it comes.

#12 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:11 AM

OK, out of ignorance I ask, what is the difference between this app and the Vitual PC 2007 from MS. VPC allows you to install and run whatever you want from within Windows and switch back and forth. I now have XP 32 bit installed in VPC and move back and forth from x64 to x32 on the same screen. If I am being dumb and don't understand something here, please forgive me and explain...talker. :talker:

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 03:45 AM

i have never ran vmware, but the linux OS in this case is installed to and ran from a file with partition options, yet can be removed without damaging your bootloader. it is as a drive in a file. you can install drivers, upgrade, etc. it is basically a partition masquerading as a file, not a file masquerading as a virtual drive... :unsure:

#14 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:05 AM

sorry to hear that MO, maybe it will work on a more generic system

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:14 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Jul 6 2007, 09:05 PM, said:

sorry to hear that MO, maybe it will work on a more generic system
it's odd, as most, if not all distros, have scsi hosts drivers default. this is a beta though, and i expect that is the reason for my issues. i do like this bootloader, and i hope ubuntu 7.10 final does use this more windows friendly option...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users