6 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

Microsoft internal documentation reveals workaround for Vista Upgrade DVDs with no need for a previous version of Windows

Just when everyone thought that all hope was lost when it comes to performing a clean install with a Windows Vista Upgrade DVD, a gleam of light can now be seen at the end of the tunnel. A new workaround proposed by Paul Thurrott (via Microsoft internal documents) has been confirmed to work by DailyTech.

We reported on Monday that Microsoft doesn't perform disc checking anymore during an operating system install. In the past, when performing a clean install, a user could boot from an install CD and insert a disc from a previous version of Windows for upgrade compliance.

Per Microsoft's new licensing requirements for Vista, users are required to install a Windows Vista Upgrade from within Windows XP. When this occurs, the Windows XP license is forfeited and the Windows Vista installation process can take place.

Now, however, this workaround allows users to perform a “clean install.” The process is a bit tedious, but is not hard at all to complete. Users have to perform these simple steps to perform a clean install of Vista without a previous version of Windows installed with an upgrade DVD:

1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.
2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.
3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.
4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.
5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.
6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.
7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

There's no telling why Microsoft left this loophole wide open with Windows Vista Upgrade DVDs, but this means that any retail upgrade DVD can be used as a fully functioning full retail copy of Vista.

Daily Tech

#2 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

http://www.x64bit.ne...?showtopic=3852

:)

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:20 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Jan 31 2007, 08:15 AM, said:

hu?

I think by this, you can save your XP :o

#4 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

LOL........as I had posted Dave :) :o

#5 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Jan 31 2007, 08:25 AM, said:

LOL........as I had posted Dave :) :o
Oh sorry, i see your link now... http://www.x64bit.net/site/board/index.php...ost&p=35701

#6 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 31 January 2007 - 04:52 PM

Well I didn't see it Dave!! So you saved me!!! Thanks a bunch, I am going to do this one for sure!!!!

I wonder if they will patch this problem. Or can they even?

#7 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 06 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

Microsoft has no plans to close Vista upgrade loophole

MICROSOFT CAN'T BE bothered to close the loophole that allows users to install Vista upgrade versions even when they're not upgrading.

"People without a licensed copy of XP that use this workaround are violating the terms of use agreed to when they purchased the upgrade version of Windows Vista," a spokesvole told vnunet.com.

"As such, we believe only a very small percentage of people will take the time to implement this workaround, and we encourage all customers to follow our official guidelines for upgrading to Windows Vista."

The vole said it does not have any plans to disable the workaround. Which is handy. The upgrade version is around two-thirds the price of the unupgrade version. µ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users