Major NV driver bug on 8800 series!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:50 PM

On most systems, any driver from 97.28 and up has a bug in which it causes 2 of the 3 memory clock generators to stick at 400mhz regardless of what your overclocking software is telling you. Using Rivatuner you can see it happening.

Status: not RivaTuner issue, NVIDIA driver's bug, two of 3 memory clock frequency generators are really running at 400MHz

G80 boards use 3 independent memory clock frequency generators (1 generator for each 2 memory channels). When the PC is booting, core/memory clocks are set to much lower clocks comparing to the clocks set in Windows GUI, and at that time BIOS programs all 3 memory generators to 400MHz. When the OS finish loading, driver must switch all 3 generators to target memory clock. 97.02 driver does it properly, 97.28 - doesn't and leaves 2 of 3 memory clock generators running at BIOS defined 400MHz clock.

So.......yet another MAJOR bug........but just imagine how powerful these cards really are.....to be able to give good performance STILL....with 2/3's of the memory running at slow speeds...

Guru3D

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:52 PM

looks like it's time for an ATI, buddy :moreilly: :o

#3 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:54 PM

LOL.......nah.....I love being on half power buddy......coz when better drivers fix the problems.....it will seem like I have a new video card again :moreilly:

#4 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 16 December 2006 - 12:48 AM

I guess that is one way to look at it.

#5 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2006 - 06:47 PM

Here is working proof........

97.44 drivers.....

Posted Image

:moreilly:

#6 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:00 PM

Oh well I am sure Nvidia will release either a new driver (most likely) or a patch to correct the problem.

#7 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 04:11 PM

Until then enjoy your unstable drivers mate :cool2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users