No replies to this topic

#1 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:48 AM

Echoing the information that leaked out last week, Microsoft early Monday confirmed it will ship six different editions of Windows Vista. Two versions will be designed for businesses, three for consumers, and one for emerging markets. But will consumers welcome choice or simply be intimidated by the number of options?

As previously reported, at the bottom of the list is Windows Starter 2007, which will likely replace the current Windows XP Starter Edition SKU. This slimmed down version of Windows does not carry the Vista branding as it is designed purely as a low-cost option in specific

Microsoft will offer two Home editions of Windows Vista. Home Basic will serve as the baseline SKU for single PC homes, but lacks some key features including Vista's Aero Glass user interface and integrated search technology. Customers with Basic must use a separate Search Explorer tool instead.

Vista Home Premium, meanwhile, adds Windows Media Center functionality, support for Tablet PCs and integrated DVD burning. Premium users will also be able to take advantage of integrated search throughout the operating system, instantly pulling up documents, pictures, movies, videos and music.

Windows Vista Business will succeed Windows XP Professional. Multi-processor support and more advanced policy tools will target business professionals and IT managers. It's likely that Remote Desktop and advanced networking such as IPSec and NetWare support will only come in the Business edition and up.

For companies that need even more functionality, Windows Vista Enterprise will fill that role. It will build upon Business with Vista's BitLocker disk encryption feature, VirtualPC, multi-language user interface support, and Services for UNIX. Enterprise will only be available to Microsoft's Software Assurance customers.

Lastly, Microsoft will offer Windows Vista Ultimate, a SKU that combines all of the features of the Home Premium and Enterprise editions with even more functionality. However, Redmond officials have yet to disclose what extras the top version will include.

The new Windows Sidebar will ship with all editions of Vista except Windows Starter. 64-bit versions of each SKU will also be available.

Personally after i've upgraded my pc again, i will be getting the best one i can get.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users