#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:03 AM

http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...;intsrc=hm_list

According to the patent application filed last week with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the "Metered Pay-As-You-Go Computing Experience" scheme would meter software use and access to specific computer hardware. Fees would be charged against a prepaid or billed account.

:roadrunner:

WTF???

and i thought apple was bad...what's a good distro these days? :rofl_mini:

#2 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:18 AM

:roadrunner: not just NO ,but f**k NO.....damn MS :rofl_mini:

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

I just read that this idea has hit a wall. The patent office declined Microsoft's patent for this idea. So, I guess we are fine with leaving our computers on 24/7 for awhile yet. :roadrunner:

#4 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

View Postchriso_86, on Jan 3 2009, 12:14 AM, said:

I just read that this idea has hit a wall. The patent office declined Microsoft's patent for this idea. So, I guess we are fine with leaving our computers on 24/7 for awhile yet. :roadrunner:
*starts plundering the business account*

No seriously, first, I'm surprised the patent didn't come through, but I think the system works differently from what is said.
I can not imagine Windows being 'paid per minute', but Office systems on the other hand, that makes sense, depending on how-much-per-minute offcourse.
Assuming 1 cent per minute, with an upper limit of the actual 'free' buying price? that's not a bad idea imo, although this system brings some problems. I paid just under 60 euro for my Office Enterprise license, so it'll require user registration and identification in the case of my price... which I wouldn't like because I hate registrating...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users