#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:20 PM

Great start!! :graduated:

Installing Ubuntu for my folding rig and problems already :rofl:

Damn thing wont start during install and throws up this error:

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

Narrowed it down to AHCI/SATA controller and only loads when this is set to 'Standard IDE' mode. :rofl:

Not good enough! I'm downing Mandriva and gonna try that instead.

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:27 PM

i know what you mean. older releases always found my storage controller. now it's a miracle if i get half way through an install. for me, mandriva runs like a top though, and i can't wait for their next release (next month?). you could always do a vmware thing...

#3 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:32 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Sep 25 2007, 12:27 AM, said:

i know what you mean. older releases always found my storage controller. now it's a miracle if i get half way through an install. for me, mandriva runs like a top though, and i can't wait for their next release (next month?). you could always do a vmware thing...

Yup MO.

Seems the older versions have no problems like this at all, but I'm loathe to install a previous version. Last resort may just be the VMWare route, burning the Mandriva disk now, so we will see :graduated:

#4 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:58 PM

64-bit version, right? That's what you need for Folding@Home. You put this in the 32-bit section.

But use whatever distro works. OpenSUSE is a good one too. Its installer is a lot better than Ubuntu's. I haven't tried Mandriva, but if MO likes it, then it must be good. :graduated:

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:54 AM

View Postbrewin, on Sep 24 2007, 04:58 PM, said:

..I haven't tried Mandriva, but if MO likes it, then it must be good. :rofl:

:rofl:

let's say i kick my rig less... :graduated:

the suse installer whacked my windows install: it got to the point of which drive to install to. it couldn't find one. so i rebooted. it had installed a loader, which saw my drives, but didn't find a suse install (because it couldn't find a drive to install to?), and since it couldn't find suse, it couldn't find windows. never had this with mandriva (and i really liked the previous incarnation of suse too... :lol: )

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:51 AM

scara, how's it going?

#7 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2007 - 02:54 AM

View Postbrewin, on Sep 25 2007, 12:58 AM, said:

64-bit version, right? That's what you need for Folding@Home. You put this in the 32-bit section.

But use whatever distro works. OpenSUSE is a good one too. Its installer is a lot better than Ubuntu's. I haven't tried Mandriva, but if MO likes it, then it must be good. :lol:

Yeah, 64bit Brew, heads a bit screwed tonight buddy, feel free to move it to the correct section though (Admin's do have the power to do so :lol: :rofl: )

:rofl_mini:

Mandriva installed without a hitch, with no AHCI/SATA problems whatsoever, but the dammed thing wont pick up my wireless network. Too much time and effort is going to have to be made to get it going, and to be quite honest, I cant be assed lol! (plug & play ain't one of Linux's best features) :rofl:

So.......off to good old XP we go, again, and will try the VMWare route this time. I must admit that I just don't have the patience to resolve tedious tasks anymore. :graduated:

#8 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:09 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Sep 24 2007, 09:54 PM, said:

Yeah, 64bit Brew, heads a bit screwed tonight buddy, feel free to move it to the correct section though (Admin's do have the power to do so :rofl: :graduated: )
I'll keep it here as evidence that the sections should be merged.

You could try the Windows SMP client. Some people don't have any problem getting it to work. Some do. Worth a shot anyway.

#9 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 25 September 2007 - 03:15 AM

Yeah, i have had a lot of problems with ubuntu. I had to change my pcie or something like that in my bios to even install it and run it, then when i went to use Vista, i had to switch it back. I'm downloading the newest Mandriva One x64 DVD through utorrent now. I would be nice to be able to install it without a headache (we'll have to see). Maybe i need another hdd? :graduated:

#10 othman11

othman11

head redneck

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:09 AM

I think Scara, will find Mandriva very good. Remember to get your apps in a RPM package. Then they install almost by themselves.

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 05:52 AM

View Postothman11, on Sep 24 2007, 10:09 PM, said:

I think Scara, will find Mandriva very good. Remember to get your apps in a RPM package. Then they install almost by themselves.

rik, their forums have fixes for stuff as well (wireless), just in case you get a wild hair and ween yourself from xp... :graduated:

#12 KelpFries

KelpFries

Oops....my bad!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Getting through the day without being hassled.

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:34 PM

Anyone tried the new Gentoo 2007 distro? And has anyone tested the KDE 4 beta? Never had an issue with either Ubuntu or Kubuntu. Installed it on many a machine, even the new Fiesty Fawn release, worked fine.

#13 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:46 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Sep 25 2007, 06:52 AM, said:

rik, their forums have fixes for stuff as well (wireless), just in case you get a wild hair and ween yourself from xp... :graduated:

LOL! It's tough MO, I'm fully addicted and admit it, gonna be a long process coming down, will probably have to do it gradually to avoid unnecessary side effects, it may take years. :rofl: :lol:

Wireless is onboard and that's the trouble. Seems I have to use ndiswrapper and certain drivers or something? Will have a look at it today now I'm sober :lol:

#14 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 06:20 PM

View PostKelpFries, on Sep 25 2007, 08:34 AM, said:

Anyone tried the new Gentoo 2007 distro? And has anyone tested the KDE 4 beta?
I use Gentoo when I get tired of Ubuntu and vice versa. The Gentoo 2007.0 live cd doesn't boot on any computer I own, so I use Sabayon to do a stage 3 install of Gentoo.

I tried KDE 4 beta 1, but it wasn't very stable. It seemed more like alpha quality. I haven't tried beta 2. This is the live cd I tried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users