21 replies to this topic

#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:03 AM

if i didn't feel stressed enough in my life atm, i went ahead and put the latest release of mandriva on the box. it rocks. i got my audio (plus system sounds, without disabling alsa!), and beryl/emerald theme manager going on! no crashes, just a steady desktop environment. i didn't know this, but kde hates the emerald manager (at least in this distro), so thankfully i had installed the gnome version of mandriva, along with enlightenment and kde options (nice to be able to load either, depending on how flipped out i get when things go south :(

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:02 AM

well, i did the (for me) unthinkable: i spent all day in linux :( (i forgot i wasn't in windows!!!). the mandriva gnome/beryl/emerald desktop combo are very stable. atm, i don't have an oss system sounds volume applet, nor a method of booting to my chosen theme choice intact, though these are very minor issues, and the theme thing is probably a gui crash precaution. i think my new mobo bios is more "linux friendly", so i'll be sticking around with mandriva for awhile...Attached File  Screenshot_1.png   1.37MB   11 downloads

#3 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

:( :(

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:05 AM

just a few screenies while messing around w/beryl:
Attached File  Screenshot_3.png   2.22MB   5 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot_5.png   2.06MB   7 downloads

:roadrunner:

#5 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 26 June 2007 - 03:25 AM

Cool stuff. :roadrunner:

#6 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 26 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

Just great, will give a try :roadrunner:

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:28 AM

well, mandriva is catching on here at home. patty thought my install was neat, she had a spare drive...now she is a happy mandriva user :roadrunner: (her rig is an '01, original pentium 4 w/rambus memory, but all the cool beryl features work, using my daughter's old 6600gt agp from a few years back...). i first thought ubuntu would be a good choice, so i installed it, but again, i could not get beryl/emerald to play nice. mandriva went on without issue, installed her printer at the first boot, and had everything eyecandy running out of the gate. i found rpms for FF2, and TB, so she has her regular browser and email client. this is a rig that can't take xp sp2 without a boot loop... so, to have a modern os with eyecandy and decent performance while using older hardware: priceless :lol:

#8 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 05:56 AM

Glad to here it! :roadrunner:

Mandriva is one of the good guys.

#9 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

View Postbrewin, on Jun 28 2007, 01:56 AM, said:

Glad to here it! :roadrunner:

Mandriva is one of the good guys.
Mmmmh, that third partition I kept empty when I formatted months ago is still waiting for its Linux...Ubuntu, Mandriva, SUSE, which one should I get? I don't know much about Linux, what are those beryl and emerald stuff? Can someone enlighten me?

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:07 PM

View Posthog, on Jun 28 2007, 09:49 AM, said:

...what are those beryl and emerald stuff? Can someone enlighten me?

Posted Image

Posted Image

What is the Beryl Project?
Beryl is an OpenGL accelerated desktop that seeks to provide a free, open source desktop experience to the community that reflects the wishes of the users. Above all else, the project seeks to listen to and respond to the requests of the user base.

Beryl is a combined window manager and composite manager written in C using OpenGL to provide acceleration. It is designed to be highly flexible, extensible, and portable, all the while keeping in mind that the users know how they want their desktops to act better than we do. With Beryl the rather esoteric concept of the computer desktop is brought down to a more human level, allowing for a more native and intuitive understanding of your workspace. To learn more about Beryl and its features visit our Feature Spotlight.

Beryl is a fork of the Compiz project, started by David Reveman of Novell. We continue to port new changes from compiz, and consider them essentially our upstream. Beryl could not have existed were it not for the heavy lifting done both server side by David and in creating compiz, which is the base on which all of our code is built, and which still comprises a large portion of our code, though this is likely to change as the 0.3.0/0.4.0 release cycle gets started.

emerald is the beryl windows decorator :roadrunner:

#11 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 06:58 PM

View Posthog, on Jun 28 2007, 11:49 AM, said:

Mmmmh, that third partition I kept empty when I formatted months ago is still waiting for its Linux...Ubuntu, Mandriva, SUSE, which one should I get?
I like Ubuntu because it has a strong backing with good community support. But there are hundreds of others.
http://www.distrowatch.com

View Posthog, on Jun 28 2007, 11:49 AM, said:

I don't know much about Linux, what are those beryl and emerald stuff? Can someone enlighten me?
Beryl (Discontinued in favor of Compiz Fusion) is the Linux equivalent of Vista's Aero and OS X's Quartz (ie. eye candy).
http://www.opencompositing.org/

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

brew, have you managed to get compiz fusion installed in ubuntu? i was going to reinstall ubuntu just to try the early release, but looks like many are having issues getting it going. i wonder if it is easier in suse... :roadrunner:

#13 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:41 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Jun 28 2007, 03:47 PM, said:

brew, have you managed to get compiz fusion installed in ubuntu? i was going to reinstall ubuntu just to try the early release, but looks like many are having issues getting it going. i wonder if it is easier in suse... :roadrunner:
I'm going to install Ubuntu 7.10 Tribe 2 which just came out today. It comes with Compiz Fusion. I couldn't get it to work in Tribe 1.

http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/tribe2

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:55 PM

View Postbrewin, on Jun 28 2007, 02:41 PM, said:

I'm going to install Ubuntu 7.10 Tribe 2 which just came out today. It comes with Compiz Fusion.
:roadrunner: must try it...though a manual nvidia driver install? i wonder if automatix will work... :lol: i kinda doubt it :) sounds like fun though :g:

#15 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:38 AM

well, i couldn't get gutsy gibbon to desktop. errored out. same thing happened with feisty fawn, but at least when i closed the error window w/feisty, the desktop loaded. i realize this is an alpha, so no love lost.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users