42 replies to this topic

#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:52 AM

i am unable to express the sheer frustratuin (i am unable to usetha delete key, as it has been replaced by "print-screen...pleas bere with me...). after hours of attempts to get my audio going in ubuntu, i installled mandriva...twice, and finally got audo, olyl to find my optical drives are not recognized...a third install, and i am able to use "sound juicer" toplay back audio. but now my keyboard is somehow corupt, and in the process, i lost my windows partition. so now, not only am i running the poorest excuse of an OS (thay all were, all the linux i tried... just crap). i now have to reinstall windows to at least have a funtioning OS, ttttttttttwith working keyboardm, dvd playback, etc, what a copmplete wast of tinm. never again...

#2 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:01 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 24 2007, 06:52 PM, said:

i am unable to express the sheer frustratuin (i am unable to usetha delete key, as it has been replaced by "print-screen...pleas bere with me...). after hours of attempts to get my audio going in ubuntu, i installled mandriva...twice, and finally got audo, olyl to find my optical drives are not recognized...a third install, and i am able to use "sound juicer" toplay back audio. but now my keyboard is somehow corupt, and in the process, i lost my windows partition. so now, not only am i running the poorest excuse of an OS (thay all were, all the linux i tried... just crap). i now have to reinstall windows to at least have a funtioning OS, ttttttttttwith working keyboardm, dvd playback, etc, what a copmplete wast of tinm. never again...

Sorry to hear, :rofl:
Stick with Vista! :offtopic:

#3 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:06 AM

:rofl: I beleive that is exactly why I said on Skypey why I quit messin with linux at least for awhile :offtopic:

Edited by stormrosson, 25 April 2007 - 02:07 AM.

#4 Vipers_Girl666

Vipers_Girl666

(_(_) (_)_) (_(_) (_)_)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:24 AM

what mobo are you using?

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:02 AM

View PostVipers_Girl666, on Apr 24 2007, 07:24 PM, said:

what mobo are you using?
tyan smp, dual opterons...

and i'm back in vista
took just over twenty minutes, from popping the dvd in, to activation, and downloading and installing firefox
and audio drivers...runs like a top. what was i thinking...lol, must of had a wild hair or summit :crazy:

#6 viper666

viper666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:04 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 24 2007, 10:02 PM, said:

tyan smp, dual opterons...

and i'm back in vista
took just over twenty minutes, from popping the dvd in, to activation, and downloading and installing firefox
and audio drivers...runs like a top. what was i thinking...lol, must of had a wild hair or summit :crazy:
SUSE will work best on Opterons :offtopic:

thats quite funny as every single Linux Distro is way better than windows for stability and preformance.

But it cant keep U from picking the wrong key board at install time LOL

Edited by viper666, 25 April 2007 - 03:06 AM.

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:13 AM

View Postviper666, on Apr 24 2007, 08:04 PM, said:

SUSE will work best on Opterons :offtopic:

thats quite funny as every single Linux Distro is way better thatn windows for stability and preformance.
ha, i bet SUSE says that to everybody...

i ran it for awhile, it had the same effect on the psyche: like eating cardboard. i like things that really work. i have yet to have a crash in vista, but linux...i think i'll pass.

View Postviper666, on Apr 24 2007, 08:04 PM, said:

thats quite funny as every single Linux Distro is way better than windows for stability and preformance.
But it cant keep U from picking the wrong key board at install time LOL
don't quite get your keyboard reference. and as for stability and performance...you must be joking. can you sell me some of that stuff you must be smoking?

#8 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:20 AM

To each his own. :sphere:

#9 viper666

viper666

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:22 AM

View Postbrewin, on Apr 24 2007, 10:20 PM, said:

true but facts are facts Brewin !!!

Just because someone doesnt have the ablility to figure out how something works,doesnt make it bad. It Just means they cant figure it out. Yes hes intitled to his opinion but so am I :P

Edited by viper666, 25 April 2007 - 03:26 AM.

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:25 AM

View Postbrewin, on Apr 24 2007, 08:20 PM, said:

very true. thanks brew, you, cam and banj0 gave me some great hints. i really have to say thank you to you guys. i was surprised at how easy (in mandriva) the audio installed (rpm). i just feel guilty in having wasted a day trying to get a linux os up and running properly (or as to what i'm used to, in windows). if ubuntu had let the audio install (i really really tried), i would have been posting from it... :(

oh, viper, sorry, didn't mean to offend :P

#11 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:34 AM

Glad to hear you're back in the computing world again M.o.

I have yet to get a linux distro to work well for me. They are fun, but not productive (at least with my knowledge base). I have given up on Linux for a while. I'll stick with Vista and XP for backup.

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:40 AM

View Postviper666, on Apr 24 2007, 08:22 PM, said:

true but facts are facts Brewin !!!

Just because someone doesnt have the ablility to figure out how something works,doesnt make it bad. It Just means they cant figure it out...

well, aren't you an arrogant ass. a big one at that :sphere: i would have to say that that is your one true ability...

#13 USM

USM

GRIM DEVILDOG

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Women, Hard Rock and Fishing of course!

Posted 25 April 2007 - 03:53 AM

Mo you sound just like me. :sphere: I have a pile of Linux distros a foot high. Been trying to get them to work for about three years now. The learning curve is more like a right angle, the best bet is to have a seperate rig to toy with or the VMware thing. I love my Ubuntu but I only know enough to not mess it up too bad, even then I manage to screw it up every now and then, by the way whats Vista? :P

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:01 AM

View PostChristopholofigus, on Apr 24 2007, 08:34 PM, said:

Glad to hear you're back in the computing world again M.o.

I have yet to get a linux distro to work well for me. They are fun, but not productive (at least with my knowledge base). I have given up on Linux for a while. I'll stick with Vista and XP for backup.
thanks christo :sphere: the "not productive" statement, for me, kinda says it. i am not much of a "tweaker" these days, so, not having to twiddle with stuff to make things work vs working without any issues kinda settles
the "issue" for me. and yes, donky pr0n did, in fact, crash my linux installs, whereas vista sailed right through, without as much as a "kick".

View PostUSM, on Apr 24 2007, 08:53 PM, said:

Mo you sound just like me. :( I have a pile of Linux distros a foot high. Been trying to get them to work for about three years now. The learning curve is more like a right angle, the best bet is to have a seperate rig to toy with or the VMware thing. I love my Ubuntu but I only know enough to not mess it up too bad, even then I manage to screw it up every now and then, by the way whats Vista? :rofl:
:lol:
i guess i was expecting more, but got less. just wasting a day off with it was getting me ornery :P

#15 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:13 AM

In terms of stability, the two OSes are probably pretty equal. Linux wins in performance as it can be compiled for specific hardware. But Vista trumps Linux in ease of use.

I've never seen a completely unbiased comparison between Vista and Linux, so I'm just going on experience.

Hopefully someday there will be a truly viable alternative to Windows on the Desktop, but I don't think Linux in it's current form will be that alternative. I can name several things off hand that will need to change:

1. New directory structure. Splitting up the config files from the binaries and spreading them throughout the file system is not good.
2. Desktop environment. Gnome, KDE, Xfce, etc? Many choices, but none are good enough.
3. New sound system. ALSA sucks.
4. Tons of other things I can't think of.

Vista is very far from perfect also, but it doesn't have to be to gain marketshare. Any alternative will have to be perfect to compete on the Desktop.

I have high hopes for Haiku OS. Another possible contender is ReactOS. These are both in alpha stage.

More than you wanted to know, but there you go. :sphere:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users