20 replies to this topic

#1 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:57 PM

The European Commission has threatened to fine Microsoft up to 2m euros (£1.36m; $2.4m) a day until it gives rivals more access to its systems.
Brussels said the software giant had failed to supply adequate information about its server programs.

Microsoft has five weeks to provide improved documentation before the daily penalties are imposed.

But the company pledged to contest the EU's "unjustified" demands by whatever means possible.

'Changing demands'

"We will contest today's statement to the full extent permitted under EU law, including a full oral hearing on these issues," Microsoft legal chief Brad Smith said in a statement.

I have been left with no alternative other than to proceed via the formal route to ensure Microsoft's compliance

Neelie Kroes, EU

He added that the firm had done its utmost to comply with the EU's demands, but Brussels kept changing the goalposts.

"We've shipped a new version of Windows, we've paid a historic fine, and we've provided unprecedented access to Microsoft technology to promote interoperability with other industry players," Mr Smith added.

"In total, we have now responded to more than 100 requests from the Commission."

In a landmark ruling in March 2004, the world's biggest software firm was found guilty of abusing its position, hit with a record fine and told to open up its operating systems.

#2 clarky3429

clarky3429

No I will not fix your computer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:50 AM

if they keep doing stuff like that to microsoft, they will probobly threaten to pull out of that country which would then stuff EU more than microsoft probobly

#3 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:56 PM

i agree, this went too far really.

MS do a good job and i wonder what most of the EU's computers in the modern court room are running :blink:

#4 DJD

DJD

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

They just need to stop nagging! MS hasn't done anything illegal. so they just need to shut the hell up. And go count there money because that's the only reason why they are after MS.

#5 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:39 AM

it is (i think) wrong because despite whatever methods employed by Microsoft to get where they are, they worked very hard!

#6 clarky3429

clarky3429

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:34 PM

yeah, in a way i agree, as long as ethics and fair competition are employed by Microsoft, then its all good, by what i can see the European Commission are giving Microsoft uncalled for problems and if they expect Microsoft to keep running in EU as much as it does there now, then they need to lay off with the whole fines thing.

#7 DJD

DJD

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 December 2005 - 02:24 PM

View Postclarky3429, on Dec 24 2005, 01:34 PM, said:

yeah, in a way i agree, as long as ethics and fair competition are employed by Microsoft, then its all good, by what i can see the European Commission are giving Microsoft uncalled for problems and if they expect Microsoft to keep running in EU as much as it does there now, then they need to lay off with the whole fines thing.

I totaly argree with you!

#8 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 01:40 AM

Hopefully this nonsense will stop, what about the versions of linux that are sold now? They include office, games, a browser, a media player and cd writing tools...oh wait they ain't being sued!

#9 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 11:24 PM

THat's taking it a bit far.

#10 clarky3429

clarky3429

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 03:51 AM

its probobly harder to sue linux creators because a lot of them arnt actually companies, thus there really isnt anyone responsible because open source OS is prolly coded by thousands of randoms, lol

#11 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:15 PM

But there are versions that are developed and sold by A company.

#12 clarky3429

clarky3429

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:22 PM

true, but it maybe that they know M$ have a lot of money to be fined, linux companies stil would, but it would still mostly be straw people etc..

#13 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:50 PM

ok so because they have more money they can be fined?

#14 clarky3429

clarky3429

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:37 PM

legally no, but practically yes, because you cant sue a man with no money, be cause they wont be able to pay you, and if they declare bankruptcy it would be exremely hard to get money off them (this is going by Australia, dont know how different it is in EU)

#15 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

I think the people selling linux make money, Microsoft makes money cos of their size...everyone spends so long telling us how linux is taking over, if thats the case they are also in a position to be fined.

If a reasonably well of guy stole an apple and a rich guy stole one, would you let the reasonably well guy off?

Not me.

If you go into the profit making game, you stand and fall with the giants, otherwise you won't make it up top.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users