#1 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

Rev here has a 64 bit laptop. The stick of Ram is a 256mb DDR PC2700 stick (says it on it) but when you right mouse click on my commputer it says 512mb... Does having a 64 bit machine double the ram?

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE DEAL IS?

#2 x2p

x2p

Network Security

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Basketball,dj'ing and cars

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:52 PM

not that i know of,probaly means each side of the chip,or its internal or its sharing off the graphics card,but certainly does not double,dam lol

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:00 AM

My sony lappy had 64 MB built in RAM and i could add RAM to it, and one expansion slot wich allowed me to add another 64, 128 or 256 stick

#4 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:09 AM

Mine has the same, a Fujitsu-Siemens, it's an oldie, but she has 64 from herself, and 64 from expansion

#5 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:44 AM

Nope, 64bit doesn't double ram Shadow...wish it did ;)

#6 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 01:32 AM

hmm weird cause it read 512mb and I did the math there are 8 chips of 32mb on the stick and it only has one slot O.o

#7 davers

davers

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:48 PM

hmm.. like some others said... i would just assume then that the system comes with onboard 256 megs of ram and the chip you put in added another 256...

thats kablamo :headset:

#8 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

well even on the service manual is says nothing of the sorts of having built in ram O.o

#9 tntoak

tntoak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:50 AM

Most notebooks only have one ACCESSIBLE slot. The second slot is often on the top of the motherboard, underneath the keyboards. All AMD64 laptops built by Arima have this feature, for example. Furthermore, the majority of notebooks come with two sticks of RAM instead of the single, larger sized stick. This is due to the fact that 2 256MB sticks cost less than 1 512MB, or 2 512MB sticks costing less than a 1GB stick. My guess is that you have 2 256MB sticks, but only the one is accessible from underneath the notebook.

My Gateway 7405GX (an Arima-built model) came with 512MB - 256 underneath and 256 on top. I was able to upgrade it, but not without completely opening the notebook up.

#10 patman174

patman174

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:40 PM

What tntoak says could very well be true. Only thing I have to add is that computers with AMD chips in them, I have seen some weird things with RAM. I've seen some pick up 512 chips as 448, and when you take it out of the machine and put it in another one, its 512, it could be something along those lines, but hey, if it works, and it runs well, just enjoy LOL.

#11 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:41 AM

I have never seen something like that, but i do agrre with tntoak and Patman.

#12 tntoak

tntoak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 06:05 AM

@patman:

If a computer has integrated video, it will show less RAM in the system properties panel than is actually installed. This is because integrated videocards reserve (allocate) a portion of the total system RAM for video operations. If the RAM in question was taken out of a system with integrated RAM and put into a system with a dedicated videocard, it will show the full capacity in the latter machine.

The four comps in vrosa's sig are a perfect example. The first two have dedicated VRAM, so the system properties would display the full 1GB on each machine. The last two machines would show less available RAM, because the integrated graphic solutions (SiS 730 & Intel 915) use part of the system RAM for the video operations.

Edited by tntoak, 26 May 2006 - 06:06 AM.

#13 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 01:33 AM

Yes, my HP laptop is that way

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 03:45 AM

View PostRevRogue, on May 29 2006, 07:43 PM, said:

Well whatever the reason for it to read 512 I still need to get it to at least 1g. ( however xpensive) so the theory goes that if I pull out the "256" stick in the bottom and boot then it should read 256 installed mem. if not then I know that somehow the stick I pulled out is double sided.
that should have nothing to do with double sided. can you get a mobo layout of the lappy? :)

#15 tntoak

tntoak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:24 AM

Out of curiosity, what brand/model of notebook is this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook