11 replies to this topic

#1 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:18 PM

Microsoft is preparing to unveil a handheld multimedia device designed to take on Apple's iPod and the Sony PSP, according to reports. Called Origami, it is thought to boast a touch screen, wireless web access, and to play music, videos and games.

A slick advertisement for the embryonic product and an official teaser site are available online.
Microsoft confirmed it had been working on Origami, but insisted no date had been set for an official launch.

Speculation about Origami grew as Apple launched the latest innovation in its iPod range.
The California company launched iPod Hi-Fi, a speaker system designed to put the portable music players in living rooms as well as coat pockets.

It also unveiled the latest version of its Mac Mini computer, boasting an Intel processor and the ability to stream media content from other computers on a local network.
----------------------------------

Aspirational product

According to the Origami advertisement, posted online at video-sharing website youtube.com, Microsoft sees the Origami device as an all-purpose multimedia lifestyle tool.

Microsoft wants Windows-based media centres in the home

The device's young, attractive users are shown using the device to stream music wirelessly at home, check the web for directions when far from home, or to send pictures snapped on mobile phones or digital cameras.

Microsoft said the advertisement was created a year ago, and may not reflect the eventual size and shape of any Origami device. There was no indication whether the device would carry the Microsoft brand name or if Microsoft would simply provide the operating system.

The Origami project is a joint effort with unspecified partners, Microsoft said. However, bloggers have linked to a speech made by Bill Gates at the 2005 Windows Hardware Engineering Conference in which he talked about an "ultra mobile" device that would cost less than $800 and would run all day on one battery charge. Mr Gates put a 2007 date on the launch of this product.

Other Microsoft watchers have pointed to an agreement with chip firm Transmeta which makes low-power processors for handheld devices.

(Viewing the HTML source code to the site additionally shows the following text: Origami Project: the Mobile PC running Windows XP)

Do you think this is the device?

As you start the page it says 'touch me' giving the idea of a computer that works off a stylus or touch screen.
The second update to the site says..."wondering where to find me?," "i am everywhere you are, but never in the way" and "who am i?" Must be small :D

#2 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:46 PM

hey karl, post a quick link to that site you were mentioning

#3 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:15 PM

HERE is week 1 (last week)
HERE is week 2 (Latest)
------------------------

These MAY well be pictures of the device...x64bit.net looking out for ya :(

Note three different colors but the device looks the same in all...the black one has a keyboard attachment to it. This could be very cool!

Attached Files

#4 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:30 PM

hmmm looks pretty sweet in black :( Lets just hope it's affordable, it'd be nice to have something that does (what karl thinks it will do) these kind of things...

#5 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

It'll be fine :(

#6 patman174

patman174

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

Yeah, it looks pretty dang cool. I have an iPod, and the portable things like that do not really do me any good, so I probably will not be purchasing one.

#7 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:52 PM

I first want to see and feel what it all can do, then I'll decide if I want one. if it's not usefull to me, I won't buy one. If it really is usefull, I might consider one.

#8 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

A leaked promotional video, produced in 2005, showed people using the paperback-sized computer to play games, write notes, sketch, listen to music and use a mapping service.

It is now known that the gadget will use Intel chips and run a version of the Windows XP operating system for tablet PCs.

Intel is scheduled to unveil more details on 7 March at its Developer Forum in San Francisco. The chip giant has also created a teaser website about the product.

The Intel website uses the name Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC) and this is a reference to the concept that Bill Gates talked about at the 2005 Windows Hardware Engineering Conference.

As well as releasing information at its developer gathering, Intel will also reveal details during the Cebit trade fair. It will be joined by hardware firm Samsung that will be making the gadgets for Microsoft.

The New York Times reported that the UMPC gadgets will use a 20cm touchscreen and will be built to play music or movies. It is also likely to have wi-fi net access built in. Final prices for the gadget are not finalised but it is expected to cost less than $1,000 (£572).

#9 joejoe

joejoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

Nice photos... :(

#10 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:22 AM

Well...this is a close up.

Microsoft have said "As promised on the OrigamiProject.com website, we are offering more details today about Origami, including that it is a new category of mobile PCs that will run Windows XP. We're excited to share more information with you on March 9."

Attached Files

#11 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:25 AM

I'm thinking... ugely!

#12 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:40 PM

Nice... depends on the price though... I want one already :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic