#1 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 28 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

I have a serious question. But first let me tell you what I want to do. I want to run linux. End of story, but I have a lot of programs that I use and I want to know how to do so. EverQuest 2, LightWave 9, Photoshop.and I have a whole list of things that I can post if need be... but the reason I run Windows is this... it's compatible with all my programs. There are things out there like Wine and Cedega and Point2Play... but I want to know how hard its going to be before I start... and further more what flavor of linux I should run. I know there are programs similar and blah blah blah... I don't care, I have my programs, I like them, I like what they do, how they run, thier shortcuts, etc. Just help me... I want help on the situation don't try to change my mind...

So my serious question is this... what Version of linux should I run, and how likely is it that I am going to be able to use my beloved programs?

p.s. Rev is having issues running his wireless card in Ubuntu 64 any ideas?

#2 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:06 PM

I'm no expert at linux shadow, but I have used a lot of distros and by far in my opinion Ubuntu is the easiest to get your feet wet with. as for running your apps, I have no idea. Not much help but thought I'd throw this in there :yahoo:

#3 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:16 PM

I'd opt for Ubuntu as well :yahoo:

I'm also seriously considering running it 24/7 from next year....so a good question has been asked here :bike:

#4 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:56 PM

Yeah ubuntu looks th best imho... but I wanna use my proggies... that the only thing that's holding me back... even with that.. .I can dual boot for EQ2 (as I am highly addicted...) but restarting to use CS 2 and what not is gonna get kinda old... is there some kind of emulator or something I should be looking for? Like I said I know these programs I have years of experience in them.. and god... I'm switching oses I'm gonna have enough learning on my hands ROFL

#5 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

World of Warcraft, Counterstrike Source, Half Life 2, Quake 4, Doom III and Battlefield 2 run via Cedega and WINE in Ubuntu that I know of...... :bike:

Everquest 2 has been tested on Ubuntu and wont install :D .....on SUSE 10.1 it installs but runs garbage along with no access to the character screens..... :yahoo:

#6 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

like I was saying... I don't mind dual booting until that much is fixed... but if I'm gonna be switching back and forth for EVERY program I run... there's really no sense in having Linux... But I really would like to switch... if I can get most of my programs to work, I'll have to wait till I get home to make a list of those that I use so I can decide if I can live or not lol

Next comes how do I install them.. I can leave my current XP install in tact... but I have 2 drives the 2nd drive is split into two partions... can I just install on that 2nd one as is... or do I have to format that drive and start over?

#7 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:57 PM

Linux requires its own 'naked' partition as it uses a completely different file system....Ext2, Ext3 and ReiserFS being the most popular :yahoo:

#8 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

Well... I have a 250 GB drive split into 2 partitions... a 100 GB and a 150GB... I was planing on using the 100 GB partition... can I jsut format that partition? cause I'd hate to loose everythign on that drive :yahoo: there a lotta **** on there lol

and here's a list of what I need to run in Linux lol...

DVD Ripping and burning software... face it... I do it.
CD Burning and Ripping software
Some kind of player for Acc, MP4, VOB, MP3, Wav, and Midi files
Bittorrent program
Some kind of Zip/Rar program
Spyware/ Adware protection
Anit Virus software -.-
I presume I can use open office... but some kinda office suite

Now what I crrently use for all of these are...
CloneDVD/AnyDVD
Nero
Winamp
Bittorrent
Winzip/Winrar
Spybot S&D/Adaware SE Personal
None lol
and Office 2007

I know some of these acutally offer installations for linux but like I said... I'm new jsut tell me which and some preferances that work on Ubuntu. I also plan on getting WINE or Cedega or Point2Play... I'm gonna go start my d/l for Ubuntu.

Sorry gusy... I'm new to this :bike:

Also will it network with Windows computers or do I have to d/l extra software for that?

#9 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:33 PM

Yup.......set aside the 100Gb partition but don't format it ....as Linux likes to find and create its file system when installing.

It will usually detect the blank partition as the best option for setting up :yahoo:

I have done it the other way before......creating Linux partitions/Swap partition etc with the likes of Partition Magic before the install....but I find this can create problems with the install process.

Best to leave it blank and unformatted.

#10 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

STOP SHOUTING UBUNTU!

Sorry, had to do that, you should go for Kubuntu (KDE interfaced). KDE is more powerfull then Gnome, at least for me it is :yahoo:

All your problems are not too big to solve under Kubuntu (Adept), but not all software will run on it correctly either. You might have problems with some Windows programs.

As for wireless... it's a matter of getting lucky! I had the same problem, when suddenly, all worked fine....

#11 dwflo

dwflo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

Might try Fedora or Mepis, Ubuntu and Kubuntu are not as good as Fedora IMHO, As far as playing games, there are some Windows emulators, Wine (free) or Cedaga ($).
Had too many hareware issues with the Debian based distros above. Fedora Core (Redhat) has most hardware issues solve. I prefere Gnome over KDE...have both installed and use them.
You decide what works for you, I cannot tell you what to use, just suggest what worked for me. :yahoo:

#12 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:41 PM

For real powerfull Linux, I will still tell you to go for Gentoo, but it's pretty hard to install for someone who doesn't have any Linux experience....

Anyway, I think Fedora or Kubuntu should be the way to go. preferably Fedora, since I dislike Debian based distros :yahoo:

#13 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

yeah I am new... d/led ubuntu 10 going to install it later... any ideas on my progies guys?

err I mean Ubuntu 6.10

#14 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:56 PM

What purpose?

#15 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:58 PM

waht do you mean? if you mean proggies... scroll up I listed the ones I really need lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users