34 replies to this topic

#16 broken

broken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:15 PM

View PostRedInferno, on Oct 31 2005, 04:44 PM, said:

95...it was the first windows i ever used.

Same here. We bought a Windows 95 computer back in '96 and the next computer we bought after that was a Windows XP system in early 2003! :)

#17 error51

error51

Elite Newsposter

• Newsposter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 02:11 AM

Out of the three evils, I would have to say ME. It wasn't pretty, but it worked most of the time.

#18 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:53 PM

Hey, i did have an Amstrad with a cassette slot...but surely that doesn't count, the green colour screen, the half an hour waiting for chess to load, the weird noise as it did that....nothing wrong surely... ;)

#19 ACiD BuRN

ACiD BuRN

the always learning student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 05:53 PM

I had only 2 PC's and the first one had Windows 98 SE installed. What a nice thing it was :P, but I remember why I wanted to install Windows XP (with no SP) so badly - all those BSODs :(... System crashes were unbearable :(. Only later when I got a little more to find about PC's rather than playing Q3 lol, I found Windows 95, got a friend when he bought his first PC back then and I had to repair it at least twice a week lmao. Only this year (2005) I saw Windows 3.11 with my own eyes, I had to install it on an old Compaq Contura laptop :).
The first time I sat down in front of a real PC was in the early 1995 :), then I watched at the ugly blue faced DOS with excitement, I always was more interested in looking and working with the system, rather than playing Wolf 3D, Packrat or something else :).

#20 Leo

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 06:47 PM

Windows 3.1 was not that the O/S I`ve ever installed from I guess it were about 10 floppy´s? :) :)

#21 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 05:15 PM

View PostVisentinel, on Nov 1 2005, 11:47 PM, said:

I GREW UP With Finder :)

No you should be saying this...

" I grew up with finder! :) :) :P "

#22 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:32 PM

Man i found an old apple mac at my mums house, it needs a monitor and stuff though, so i can't try it :P

#23 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:09 PM

What year is it karl?

#24 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:54 PM

Well, i would assume not OS X or anything...notice he said "old apple"

#25 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:04 AM

i believe it's 1992, so roughly the same time that Acorn were running with Risc OS 2

#26 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:33 PM

Acorn? Someone fill me in, never heard of that before ...

#27 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

DUDE I had a 1991 :P took it apart though and broke something off the monitor and herd a hissing sound... otherwise, if I still had it I'd send it over.

Edited by ShadowFox, 09 November 2005 - 02:20 PM.

#28 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:43 PM

A hissing sound? :P Sounds bad....but anyways, Apples are always welcome at my house! But YOU have to pay for the postage ;)

#29 MadDoggyca

MadDoggyca

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 03:27 AM

dos 1.0 all the way....checks back of pc that funny only a keyboard and printer port pluged in....

-----------
c:\
c:\Dos
c:\Dos\Run.bat

Run Dos Run.....
---------------

than dos 5.0 cam out that waz the main stream days back on the 880386 with 4 mb of ram and a 80mb hd...

and they called the program Lotus 1-2-3
zork waz soo much funner to play.

then that windows 3.1 cam out and we had a actuly 256 color VGA card... wow the gameswere somoking on that...

back of box
REQ
512kbs memoy
1MB HD
256 color.
keyboard
Mouse optionly
PC internal speaker if u want that beep beep sound/music

what we didn't need a mouse back then????
-----------
then MS gave birth to 95 on 10 floppys we say screen revutions jump to 640x400 with only sitll 256 color.... first cd drives jumped out at us too..sustem were borught up to speed aorund 880486 with speed of 80-120mhz with a woking 16mb ram. well windows 95 chewed up only 8 mb ram at the time hardly any rela program were out.

97 cam around and pc started needing 32mb ram will still runing 95. aobut the tiem 95 cam out in veiron A-B
98 cam out and MS gave birth to windows 98 and WIndows 95 version C with USB suport.

also a run to 800x600

we saw a incress in the penimines 1-2 thur years 95/98 wiht the P1 final chip at a wopping 166 wiht MMX and the p2 staring at 200 wiht mmx

we were followed byt 98SE and a inrease of 64mb of ram then the p3 at 300+ but the time 2000 cam round we say the end of p3 taping at 1.3ghz and the beging of p4s and a majoy change in tech that never stoped ivolving,,cpus were faster ram incressing ...2000 windows waz born and 6 monthes later Windows ME....

a jump to 1012x786 wiht 16 and 32 ture color. WIll intell had MMX we saw AMD bring in 3dNow.

8 monthes after ME we saw XP and before u know it we runnign 4 gig of ram on pcs at 64 bit 4800+ dual with 512mb vidz and 5 years after xp vista....

ya I been around a long time

PS.. that waz only PC based histoy I coudl tlak aovut apples first days too but meh I not going to...well all knwo it waz apple classic.. then the apple 2e.... and soo on and soo fore.. fomr gray scale to 1 mb color apples classic 2e's and up....

still still perfured that box I had that had 8 LDE lites with 8 switches... each lite had a switch under it u could flip up or down... and thats how u programed it and used it, u fliped the switches. u had the card that u put in and it would punch holes in the card.... that what we called a prgram....somthign likr tic tac tow waz 85 card big u fed thur the thing it woudl read were the holes were punched and that how u played.... no keyboard.. no mouse ..no monitor just 8 little LDEs and 8 on/off switches

best dam OS I ever seen to... come ot think of it I don;t knwo if it turly had a OS ether.... but it read the hoels right sooo it must of had some form of os... stable as awell and none of this blue screen of death or and error screen or error codes..

Edited by MadDoggyca, 19 July 2006 - 03:53 AM.

#30 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 19 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

Just think what the specs for an OS will be in 20 years time>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users