• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:55 AM

i'm loving the Newcastle ale...

Lurvely stuff! :)

Old Newkie (nookie) Broon (as in Brown) Ale.........LOL ;)

Awesome! :lol:

#32 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:57 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Oct 13 2006, 10:55 PM, said:

Lurvely stuff! ;)

Old Newkie (nookie) Broon (as in Brown) Ale.........LOL :D

Awesome! :)
:smoke: :lol:

#33 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:01 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Oct 13 2006, 10:48 PM, said:

i'm loving the Newcastle ale... :) :lol:
Posted Image I've never had it. Sounds good though. Do ya like wine as well M.o.? I love a nice Chianti (Italian red wine). I guess since i am off topic, might as well continue...I work at the Olive Garden as a server right now (works great with my school schedule), and i am a "wine ambassador" for them. I got sent to Italy for 7 days to experience the Italian lifestyle. Whoo, the wines that i drank ;) . What a great experience it was.

Ok ok, back to the topic at hand. I am still loving Vista RC2. I cannot wait for the retail version to come out. Plus, since it will shiip with both x86 and x64 i should finally get drivers for all my hardware [cough]Palm Pilot[/cough].

Sheeze (just got off work) and i have a buzz from one beer! What do i expect from an empty stomach? LOL Time for another! I guess i should eat something as well.

#34 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

Do ya like wine as well M.o.? I love a nice Chianti

Hannibal Lecter?

LOL! :lol: :) ;)

#35 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:25 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Oct 14 2006, 12:13 AM, said:

Hannibal Lecter?

LOL! :lol: :) ;)
Posted Image
Ummm, that is lost on me :D.

//**********Edited**********
Oh, got it:
The wine had a famous mention in a popular film Silence of the Lambs in the catchphrase "I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

Edited by Christopholofigus, 14 October 2006 - 07:30 AM.

#36 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:32 AM

Yes Chris........ :lol: :)

#37 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:45 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Oct 8 2006, 11:01 PM, said:

I posted this on another board and would like your input........ :chriso:

Anyone getting tired of all this Vista 'hype' yet?

I don't know about you lot?....but there seems to be an over powering amount of Vista this and Vista that....

It seems to have been going on for years and years and I find that I'm becoming rather 'bored' with the whole Vista scenario.......It's actually beginning to put me off and make me not look forward to the actual release.

I've never liked the name Vista......and loathe it even more so now.

I also think that the final product will not be as polished and finished as we would like and will be rushed onto the shelves anyway......we will also have to endure many patches in the months to come after release.....fixing and breaking the OS along the way.....

Then there is the cost.......from what I have seen of the UK pricing......Microsoft should be wearing a stripy suit and a mask!

There can be no doubt that this is a nice looking OS.......but I feel that this will come at a cost......in the UK....if you were to upgrade your GPU and buy Vista at the same time......were talking £700!! here..

At this time......the more I hear anything about Vista.....the more I love XP....

Just wanted to hear your feelings on this peeps.......

S.

The reason why you have heard it for so long is because it should have been out over 2 years ago. The project was restarted and built from the neck up all over again. Its only now you hear so much bout its troubled past because its been in development since 2003. The name Vista no one liked when it came out but its unique and personally think its better than Apples naming scheme of naming things after animals... XP served no real purpose so at least vista has some meaning.

Its not just about the pretty UI, look at all the power our computers can do today as opposed to what they could when 2000/Xp were out. We have the hardware and the power to have totally awesome graphics and user interfaces...so why not use it. Unless you enjoy spending 600 dollars on a gfx card that makes the web look the same as it would on a Intel onboard graphics chip. Is vista going in the right direction...damn right it is.. and when you get to using it you will wonder ...A : how the hell did i live though XP this long, and B: ... its about time we had something to take advantage of todays hardware ...not yesterdays.

View Posttalker, on Oct 10 2006, 11:48 PM, said:

The problem that I have is what are the criteria that are "considered"? What makes this even more frightfull is that my RC2 x64 (5744) that I activated as soon as it was installed, just gave me a tray icon that, when I hovered over it, said I needed to activate Windows. I did (again) and it thanked me for doing so. What if this had been a production system that had been "considered" a pirate copy and went non-functional? Yeah, I know, I could have called MS and hopefully taken care of it but that should not be necessary. Not to mention the loss of productivity. Remember, in another topic, I said I had a gut feeling about Vista that something was hidden and all is not as it is shown or said to be. Perhaps this is the first of many underlying things that will begin to emerge as the RTM gets closer. We shall see...talker. :smoke:

Simple rebuttle, If you designed a multi million dollar worthy piece of software, wouldnt you do your best to try and prevent people from stealing your property...if your going to buy Vista then what are you worried about. WGA and Product activation are your protection ..it protects people from using your key, your stuff you paid for while they get away using it for free...So please dont look at the negative side of all this...look how it benefits you. Now you can sit here and argue all you want about what hidden backdoors are in it but the minute you click "YES I AGREE" under the EULA ... you agree to any terms in there. You legally dont own the software , you own the right to use it and thats it.

#38 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:54 AM

i wish i had said that... :smoke:

#39 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:06 AM

Lil deeper explaination when your helping develop the thing eh :chriso:

#40 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:25 AM

View PostBlueScreenOfDeath, on Oct 14 2006, 11:06 PM, said:

Lil deeper explaination when your helping develop the thing eh :chriso:
As True as everything you have said is, I also have a right to my privacy, granted I dont have anything to hide, but I still dont like being spied apon. As to the EULA you are correct when I click I agree it means that. an I should respect that, therefore I can also Disagree an not install...............But, why then will they not take that software back. I paid for it, but as you say I only pay for the right to use it, but if I dont agree to use it I should not be held liable for that payment.
An lastly, I also have the choice to not use that software, the real problem with that is there are very few real alternatives, an most of them are very difficult for non-technical everyday people, hell I consider myself decently computer literate yet I trip up in just about every linux distro I have attempted. Hardware dont work properly, nothing has been coded for them, and or applications are not available.
Those are just a few of the reasons that WGA is difficult to swallow for most of us. Product activation does not bother me really as you say that is a good tool to keep someone from using my copy of the software with out paying for it.

Oh an I almost forgot, I agree the tech moves way faster the the software but the resources we have now should not be completly used by the O/S we still have to take into consideration what other software is going to go in. In my opinion I would like to see everything quicker, I know instant gratification but what can I say, its in all of us.

Edited by Camaro, 15 October 2006 - 04:40 AM.

#41 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:43 AM

Its not just about the pretty UI, look at all the power our computers can do today as opposed to what they could when 2000/Xp were out. We have the hardware and the power to have totally awesome graphics and user interfaces...so why not use it. Unless you enjoy spending 600 dollars on a gfx card that makes the web look the same as it would on a Intel onboard graphics chip. Is vista going in the right direction...damn right it is.. and when you get to using it you will wonder ...A : how the hell did i live though XP this long, and B: ... its about time we had something to take advantage of todays hardware ...not yesterdays.

I'm sorry.....but I disagree! :rolleyes:

Just because we have lots of computing power at our hands.......does that give Microcrap the excuse to abuse it?

Vista is bloated......simple!.......and MS have had years to get it right!

It's close to release now and it still ain't right. Yes I may have the hardware to run Vista.....but do I want such a 'demanding' OS regardless?........that is the question?.

The answer is NO!

Is vista going in the right direction...damn right it is.. and when you get to using it you will wonder ...A : how the hell did i live though XP this long, and B: ... its about time we had something to take advantage of todays hardware ...not yesterdays.

I want my hardware to dictate what OS will run on it........not the other way about I'm afraid!

I have used Vista (most builds).......and it makes me see every time how good an OS XP really is......... :chriso:

#42 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:44 AM

View PostCamaro, on Oct 14 2006, 11:25 PM, said:

As True as everything you have said is, I also have a right to my privacy, granted I dont have anything to hide, but I still dont like being spied apon. As to the EULA you are correct when I click I agree it means that. an I should respect that, therefore I can also Disagree an not install...............But, why then will they not take that software back. I paid for it, but as you say I only pay for the right to use it, but if I dont agree to use it I should not be held liable for that payment.
An lastly, I also have the choice to not use that software, the real problem with that is there are very few real alternatives, an most of them are very difficult for non-technical everyday people, hell I consider myself decently computer literate yet I trip up in just about every linux distro I have attempted. Hardware dont work properly, nothing has been coded for them, and or applications are not available.
Those are just a few of the reasons that WGA is difficult to swallow for most of us. Product activation does not bother me really as you say that is a good tool to keep someone from using my copy of the software with out paying for it.
Oh an I almost forgot, I agree the tech moves way faster the the software but the resources we have now should not be completly used by the O/S we still have to take into consideration what other software is going to go in. In my opinion I would like to see everything quicker, I know instant gratification but what can I say, its in all of us.

The downside of Open Source...thats the answer to your alternative question. As far as purchasing it ..thats something the retailer must deal with..so many people can easily snatch a key and return the disk which is exactly why you cant do that today. by all means though if people feel inclined to use alt operating systems im not gonna hold a knife to their throat and say no cause to each their own. Your not being spied upon, theres not a underlying conspiracy ... even then its not just MS doing things that might appear shady..at the least they verify your key is legit other than that nothing else is done. All it does is cross reference your key and its validity against its database...they arent looking for cookies saying u went to x64bit.net or neowin and think right off the bat that your a script kiddie..have some faith in them...real people do work inside that big ole place we like to call Microsoft.

I'm sorry.....but I disagree! rolleyes.gif

Just because we have lots of computing power at our hands.......does that give Microcrap the excuse to abuse it?

Vista is bloated......simple!.......and MS have had years to get it right!

It's close to release now and it still ain't right. Yes I may have the hardware to run Vista.....but do I want such a 'demanding' OS regardless?........that is the question?.

The answer is NO!

Bloated...so you want your super fast computer to run the OS of say ... Windows 2000 or 98? ...what a waste of money. Bloated in what way... i dont see bloat... i see features that make things easier and help us get more done. Just because you might not use it doesnt designate it as bloat. The main reason why UAC exists is for one reason and i learned it today: I cleaned off a computer that had 29 virus' on it , was running Windows XP home, and didnt have any good AV on it that was up to date... Vista has UAC to protect the idiots from breaking their own machines.. a protective sandbox as it were... would i have had nearly as many problems had it been running UAC and Windows Vista... no because Vista doesnt allow virus' direct access to things like XP so blindly does... The hardware and OS have to work together... and if its just the hardware doing all the work then you might as well go back to using DOS cause thats what it amounts to.

Your ability to burn cd's and dvds - the joint communication of hardware and your OS and its software
Your ability to watch videos - your hardware and OS communicating together...

1 isnt leading the other ...and as stated before ...no ones forcing you to run vista..so if your not 'happy' with it ..dont use it. But dont knock it before you have looked at the benefits of it and not just the cosmetic stuff because yea its RC2 but it hasnt been released yet.

Edited by BlueScreenOfDeath, 15 October 2006 - 04:51 AM.

#43 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:50 AM

BTW guys, This is ryan, (BlueScreenOfDeath), he is a good friend of mine, he got me into the Vista Beta! :chriso:

#44 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:52 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Oct 14 2006, 11:50 PM, said:

BTW guys, This is ryan, (BlueScreenOfDeath), he is a good friend of mine, he got me into the Vista Beta! :)

Sorry i havent been around bro , life got too ...busy i guess lol. School, work and all that good stuff...but i always come back to my roots :cool2: :chriso:

#45 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:05 AM

View PostBlueScreenOfDeath, on Oct 14 2006, 11:44 PM, said:

The downside of Open Source...thats the answer to your alternative question. As far as purchasing it ..thats something the retailer must deal with..so many people can easily snatch a key and return the disk which is exactly why you cant do that today. by all means though if people feel inclined to use alt operating systems im not gonna hold a knife to their throat and say no cause to each their own. Your not being spied upon, theres not a underlying conspiracy ... even then its not just MS doing things that might appear shady..at the least they verify your key is legit other than that nothing else is done. All it does is cross reference your key and its validity against its database...they arent looking for cookies saying u went to x64bit.net or neowin and think right off the bat that your a script kiddie..have some faith in them...real people do work inside that big ole place we like to call Microsoft.
Bloated...so you want your super fast computer to run the OS of say ... Windows 2000 or 98? ...what a waste of money. Bloated in what way... i dont see bloat... i see features that make things easier and help us get more done. Just because you might not use it doesnt designate it as bloat. The main reason why UAC exists is for one reason and i learned it today: I cleaned off a computer that had 29 virus' on it , was running Windows XP home, and didnt have any good AV on it that was up to date... Vista has UAC to protect the idiots from breaking their own machines.. a protective sandbox as it were... would i have had nearly as many problems had it been running UAC and Windows Vista... no because Vista doesnt allow virus' direct access to things like XP so blindly does... The hardware and OS have to work together... and if its just the hardware doing all the work then you might as well go back to using DOS cause thats what it amounts to.

Your ability to burn cd's and dvds - the joint communication of hardware and your OS and its software
Your ability to watch videos - your hardware and OS communicating together...

1 isnt leading the other ...and as stated before ...no ones forcing you to run vista..so if your not 'happy' with it ..dont use it. But dont knock it before you have looked at the benefits of it and not just the cosmetic stuff because yea its RC2 but it hasnt been released yet.
I agree there has an always will be problems with people breaking the laws an stealing, However to penalize everyone regardless of guilt is wrong too, the only work around that would be fair to everyone would be to print, in big bold letters the terms of the EULA on the outside of the packaging, or atleast to be seen from the outside, if they ignore it then, at that point its there own fault. And preinstalled software, that I dont know how they could deal with, most new computers come with window, of one version or another. If someone dont know the terms are they penalized, you bet. needs to be some other way, but I guess someone smarter then I will need to think of it.

I also think the stealing goes both ways, Big company's are not exempt I know they put alot of money into their projects, the employee's, and alot of other things however what comes out of that, software that is LICENSED not sold, spyware, an ads targeted to specific portions of the audience based on internet browsing history's, an prolly alot more.

By the way, nice to meet you Ryan, I may have some vocal opinions, but at the same time, I understand the reality an the work they deserve credit for alot of things, I just wish the world was not quite what it is.

Edited by Camaro, 15 October 2006 - 05:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users