• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 17 July 2008 - 04:12 PM

NEW INFORMATION from a DAAMIT road-map has been exposed by Dailytech, with a number of very interesting additions.

Firstly, a new socket dubbed 'Socket G34' has been unveiled, which paves the way for DDR3 support.

Along with the new socket will come two new second-generation 45nm CPUs.

The 8-core 'Sao Paolo' is described as a "twin native-quadcore Shanghai processor" by one AMD engineer who spoke with Dailytech.

This basically means two sandwiched quad-core CPUs, much like Intel does with non-native quad-cores - two dual-core CPUs packaged together.

The better-known 'Shanghai', which is expected to ship late this year, is AMD's first 45nm shrink of the often-maligned Barcelona processor which is currently on sale.

It's said that both of these new processors will feature four Hypertransport 3 interconnects, 12MB of L3 cache and 512KB L2 cache per core.

There was also additional mention of 'Magny-Cours' (suspicously sounding like 'many-cores' but named after the F1 motor racing circuit in France) which is the name of the previously-whispered 12-core behemoth.

Also of note is the fact that in 2010 AMD will provide registered and unregistered quad-channel DDR3 support, which is nothing to sniff at.

Dailytech counted 1974 pin connects on a leaked G34 diagram the site managed to obtain, which is 767 more pins than AMD's current LGA1207 socket

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/new...-processors-amd

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:23 PM

sounds neat :) i wish them luck...i'd love to have a four socket multi core amd rig...

#3 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:47 PM

sounds neat sun_bespectacled.gif i wish them luck...i'd love to have a four socket multi core amd rig...

the board early adopter :)

#4 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:20 AM

8-core CPU and quad-channel DDR3? This is more than interesting, but it sounds like my bank account is not gonna like it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users