13 replies to this topic

#1 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:01 AM

Well as most of you know, I have been eyeing a gfx card for a while.

Well next week I'll be getting a Geforce 8600 GT (512MB); also replacing my 1GB DDR2-533 with 4GB DDR2-800 and last but not least going to buy Windows Vista Home Premium (64bit)

Can't wait

#2 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

Great :moreilly:

But the money saved by not buying Vista and buying only 2Gb (more than enough) RAM, will get you a shiny new 8800 GPU and a much better experience :mooning:

#3 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Jan 12 2008, 07:34 AM, said:

Great :moreilly:

But the money saved by not buying Vista and buying only 2Gb (more than enough) RAM, will get you a shiny new 8800 GPU and a much better experience :mooning:
totally agree. You don't need to buy Vista, seriously... And if you don't have Vista, you have enough of 2gb of RAM! DDR2-800 is a good choice though. A 8800GT 512mb would be MUCH better than a 8600GT. But you're the one who decides so go for it if you want to. :mooning: Have fun with whatever new toys you'll be getting! :mooning:

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:49 PM

yep, get the better gpu, and don't bother with the home premium. i don't know if you will notice a big improvement using the tall ram... :moreilly:

#5 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Oh well, here's something ya should all know. If I was paying full price for the gfx card and vista I'd agree BUT

through contacts (yes 100% new and legal); I am getting my gfx card for about 50% cheaper than normal, and Vista for 70% cheaper. Hence my decision to do what I did. So in total thats like 60% cheaper than normal

#6 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:53 PM

But still 8600GT is Crappy.. don't mess with it.. :moreilly:

overall forget about 8XXX DX10, they are slow, and overpriced.. get new DX10.1 products from ATi, or wait for the ones from nVidia..

#7 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:33 PM

:mooning: ah geez already ordered my 8x. Oh well it must just do til my next pc I guess :moreilly:

#8 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 09:14 PM

View PostLinoman, on Jan 14 2008, 10:33 PM, said:

:mooning: ah geez already ordered my 8x. Oh well it must just do til my next pc I guess :moreilly:

Hey Linoman, what is the Main purpose of your PC which you Upgrading ?

Are you a Gamer ?

#9 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:44 AM

Hey TheBearLT,

To be honest I am not much of a gamer (of cause could also be, cause my old onboard, Geforce 6100, sucked at games). But rather this year gonna be studying computers at college. So I want a PC that should be able to run most software/games etc.

I am also very intersted in virtualisation, hence the 4GB of RAM, to be honest I am sick and tired of formatiing. quad booting, na would rather just use Vmware instead!

#10 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:05 AM

View PostLinoman, on Jan 15 2008, 12:44 AM, said:

I am also very intersted in virtualisation, hence the 4GB of RAM, to be honest I am sick and tired of formatiing. quad booting, na would rather just use Vmware instead!
Ha, now this is a good reason for getting 4gb of RAM I think. Again, have fun!

#11 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:10 AM

View PostLinoman, on Jan 15 2008, 07:44 AM, said:

Hey TheBearLT,

To be honest I am not much of a gamer (of cause could also be, cause my old onboard, Geforce 6100, sucked at games). But rather this year gonna be studying computers at college. So I want a PC that should be able to run most software/games etc.

Soo your is PC is pretty much Media PC alike ?

Well, most games and apps will Perform just fine.. Of course if you set All Qualities to Very High.. Antialiasing, Anistropic filtering, you are more likely to get "huge" lag.. but, for Medium settings, your pc is just "READY" :giggle:

Btw, if you have a big Discount, Try getting another 8600, use 'em in SLi.. For running games at High ;)

#12 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:03 AM

Ok I finally got my upgrade however, I could not get a Geforce 8600; ok guys now please do not shout at me. But since I guess I do not play that many games I got a (runs away) a Geforce 8500 (512MB) instead.

Although having 4GB of RAM, Vista runs like a dream. Geez that should be the minimum specs for it.

#13 TheBearLT

TheBearLT

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:04 PM

View PostLinoman, on Jan 17 2008, 11:03 AM, said:

Ok I finally got my upgrade however, I could not get a Geforce 8600; ok guys now please do not shout at me. But since I guess I do not play that many games I got a (runs away) a Geforce 8500 (512MB) instead.

Although having 4GB of RAM, Vista runs like a dream. Geez that should be the minimum specs for it.

Posted Image

You made a Mistake bro.. you made a mistake..

#14 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

View PostTheBearLT, on Jan 19 2008, 11:04 PM, said:

Posted Image
You made a Mistake bro.. you made a mistake..

Eh I deserved that crazy animal :giggle: ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users