22 replies to this topic

#1 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:34 AM

Windows Serviceability is pleased to announce the release of Beta Refresh 2 (build 2805) of Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition customers.

This build contains:
• Roll up of hotfixes released to date
• Roll up of security updates released to date
• Fixes for bugs reported by Beta customers and other known issues on previous Service Pack 2 builds
• Fix for Volume Licensing customers who are using Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
This build should *only* be used for test purposes in your environment. The goal of this refresh is to capture early feedback before the RC release on the changes taken after Beta Refresh 1. So please focus on running the installation and setup scenarios in your environments by using build 2805.

We will review all reported issues in the Release Candidate build. In order to have a stable test environment we strongly recommend un-installation of any previous SP2 builds from your machines before installing build 2805.

In addition to the release notes for Beta Refresh 1, the only known issue with this build is the following:
• Due to a recent installer change, the update package of build 2805 will not install on Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server. This issue will be fixed in the next refresh.
Here is the list of releases:
• Windows Server 2003 R2 Editions integrated with SP2 (32-bit x86): English, German and Japanese
• Windows Server 2003 R2, x64 Editions integrated with SP2: English and Japanese
• Windows Server 2003 for Itanium-based Systems integrated with SP2: English, German and Japanese
• Standalone update packages: English, German and Japanese
Also please note that symbols for this build are available from the public symbols server.

#2 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:59 PM

Thanks buddy, didnt even know about this! :)

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:18 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Oct 20 2006, 02:59 PM, said:

Thanks buddy, didnt even know about this! :)
me either...sp2 for x64 xp pro? beta refresh?

#4 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:43 AM

Yep. It's there. Log on to MS connect and ye shall find. I'm using the original SP2 beta and prefer it to the OEM SP1. :) Downloaded the refresh and haven't had time to install but that's what weekends are for. :talker:

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:09 AM

View PostWFO, on Oct 20 2006, 08:43 PM, said:

Yep. It's there. Log on to MS connect and ye shall find. I'm using the original SP2 beta and prefer it to the OEM SP1. :talker: Downloaded the refresh and haven't had time to install but that's what weekends are for. :talker:
:)

#6 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:12 AM

I have been using the Beta SP2 v 2725 since it was first released and, believe it or not, it made x64 more robust and quicker...talker. :)

#7 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:30 AM

X64 SP2 RC was supposed to hit WU today. To get it, you had to log into MS connect and download a reg key, install the reg key on an SP1 machine. This was supposed to allow you to see and download an over the top update. I still don't see the update at WU. :headset:

And yes I have the install disk as I'm running x64 SP2 RC on 2 machines. I just wanted to test this on my last SP1 lappy. Anyone have any luck with it???

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:00 AM

sorry no, haven't been running 64 bit exp pro for awhile (x64 vista has my camera drivers!). wonder what's up with that? :headset:

#9 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:06 AM

This is the same SP2 RC that was on Connect a few weeks ago. It is build 2825. According to the email from MS, this is primarily to test delivery of updates via WU. Here are the registry values:

The following key values will be set in the registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\WS03SP2beta]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\WS03SP2beta\21124ad5-c8a4-4e4f-ac2d-95a6cb8fa72b]

Adding these values will enable users to see the RC via WU.

The above was taken directly from the MS email. I have had build 2825 installed since it was first available and it is well worth the time and trouble...talker. :headset:

#10 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 03:25 AM

View Posttalker, on Dec 12 2006, 07:06 PM, said:

This is the same SP2 RC that was on Connect a few weeks ago. It is build 2825. According to the email from MS, this is primarily to test delivery of updates via WU. Here are the registry values:

The following key values will be set in the registry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\WS03SP2beta]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\WS03SP2beta\21124ad5-c8a4-4e4f-ac2d-95a6cb8fa72b]

Adding these values will enable users to see the RC via WU.

The above was taken directly from the MS email. I have had build 2825 installed since it was first available and it is well worth the time and trouble...talker. :headset:

Hi Talker, yah I got the e-mail too and I logged in and got the registry key. I'm asking just wondering if someone here got it to work. If not, there may be problems worth reporting in the delivery system. Or it just hasn't been uploaded to WU yet. :chriso:

#11 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 09:31 AM

I can't wait for the final release of this service pack to be released, hopfully it will not break too many systems

#12 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:49 PM

View Posttalker, on Oct 20 2006, 10:12 PM, said:

I have been using the Beta SP2 v 2725 since it was first released and, believe it or not, it made x64 more robust and quicker...talker. :moreilly:

So has anyone else had good results like this? I adopted SP2 on 32bit early and it totally trashed my laptop, had to reformat. So, I am a little scared to adopt this, especially when it is still in beta form.

#13 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:15 AM

View Postchriso_86, on Dec 15 2006, 09:49 AM, said:

So has anyone else had good results like this? I adopted SP2 on 32bit early and it totally trashed my laptop, had to reformat. So, I am a little scared to adopt this, especially when it is still in beta form.

I have the RC on 1 laptop and 1 desktop. Totally stable and no issues for me. :moreilly:

#14 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 17 December 2006 - 12:18 AM

Hum, ok!! I guess I will think about it.

#15 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 12:31 PM

Na I am gonna be boring, I am too in love with my pc, gonna wait a while before adopting this service pack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users