Portal Poll #15 - Mac Clones

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Portal Poll #15

Should Apple allow Mac clones?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:46 AM

Apple is currently in a legal battle with Psystar, a maker of Mac clones. Should Apple drop the lawsuit and allow it?

Bonus Question:
Would you buy a license to install OS X on a PC if Apple made that possible?

#2 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:48 AM

I think they should, free market an all.

#3 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:08 AM

View Postbrewin, on Aug 29 2008, 01:46 AM, said:

Apple is currently in a legal battle with Psystar, a maker of Mac clones. Should Apple drop the lawsuit and allow it?

This case is a bit confusing. I'd need more information to form an opinion on whether or not Psystar is infringing on copyright or whether Apple is guilty of anti-trust violations. To wit:

"The law firm also noted PsyStar's OpenComputer ships with a fully licensed, unmodified, retail copy of Mac OS X"

"PsyStar started selling a computer called the OpenMac back in May that included a modified version of Apple's operating system."

That last part makes me think Apple has a legal argument to make. Not that I've read it, but I'd bet Apple's Reseller agreement is pretty clear about selling pre-modded versions.

On the other hand, in anti-trust cases, doesn't evidence need to go to some government agency and get a "right-to-sue" judgment? I might be wrong about that, but, if so, and Psystar gets a "right-to-sue" judgment (or if their lawyers think it's even close), Apple would be playing Blackjack with 1 card if they didn't acquiesce. Course, we all saw how M$ reacted to those charges so who knows.

brewmeister said:

Bonus Question:
Would you buy a license to install OS X on a PC if Apple made that possible?

I wouldn't.

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 06:38 AM

i hear ya, banj, though i'd buy a copy to give 'er a go. yes, unix with special apple 'sauce', but heck, i live in a one horse town and don't get out much...go figure

#5 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 02:20 PM

I'm not even sure I get the whole clone thing... But if it's just some company like Dell that makes PC's that run OS X, I say why not? But personally, I never understood all the hype around Macs, especially at university where if you don't have a Mac you're not cool.......

I'll kick everyone's ass with my new Acer Aspire One anyways. :) (when I get it)

#6 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:15 PM

View Posthog, on Aug 29 2008, 09:20 AM, said:

But if it's just some company like Dell that makes PC's that run OS X, I say why not?
Yes, that's basically what they are. It's a pretty generic Intel-based computer running a modified OS X.

View Posthog, on Aug 29 2008, 09:20 AM, said:

I'll kick everyone's ass with my new Acer Aspire One anyways. :) (when I get it)
Cool, I want a netbook. If only I had unlimited funds... :D

#7 VoodooGuru

VoodooGuru

When I get a chance, I get up and dance and do the Curly shuffle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:40 AM

After years of living in a Windows world, I got a new job as Information Technology Manager at a company that uses all Macs (8 Xservers) with the exception of a couple of linux servers for our mail server and some specialty software and 2 windows PCs to run the ADP payroll software and the HVAC system (which is pretty cool, you can monitor the entire heating and cooling system of the building from a browser.)

I found the Macs pretty easy to get used to with the exception of a few minor annoyances. At my previous job we had 5 Macs in the print shop that I had networked into our Windows network. That was all the experience I had with Macs previous to my new job, that and installing a modded version of Mac OS X on my POS Dell.

I would buy a license if I could install an unmodded version of OS X on a custom built PC provided I get to custom build it ...of course.

I don't think I would buy a Mac though. They are kind of over-priced and just a bit too proprietary for my liking.

#8 Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:50 AM

The only way Apple will ever make a serious dent in the market share that PCs' have is to let others make them.

So the question is:

Who here would like to build a MAC??

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:38 AM

:)

#10 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:56 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Aug 30 2008, 02:38 AM, said:

:rofl:
You'd be excited to build anything, even a mount of crap, provided it has a sticker saying "computer" on it. :D

:)

#11 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:21 PM

I think they should allow clones... and I'd like to try OS X on a PC ! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users