Windows 7 vs Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Vista vs Windows 7

In the end which one do you think history will see as the better OS?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

Is there any way to get the 7-beta?

and Obadiah:
Since there are massive speed and stability improvements on 7, I kinda doubt your statement that it's the same kernel

#17 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

...SP2 for XP, a nice improved release, but that's all.

sp2 was a big update to the xp kernel (think windows/server '03), even though the gui remained unaltered...

Do not be fooled by the 'cosmetic hype' because that is all it is, look under the 'Bonnet' and you will discover for yourself that Windows 7 is actually Version 6.1 not 7, a minor release...there is still more to come a-ways-down-the-track! Vista is Windows 6.001 (with SP1).
the number scheme, at this stage in nt development...i know vista , although touted as a major nt release, owes much of itself to the server '03 kernel. so until there is a drastic kernel/code change, i really can't look at vista as a major departure, dispite " the 'cosmetic hype'", as you say. why would i "be fooled" if i use win7? win7 is what i was hoping vista would be. if i ran win2000, would i be a "fool" to run xp?
  • Windows 2000 (Windows NT 5.0) including up to Service Pack 4
  • Windows XP (Windows NT 5.1) including up to Service Pack 3
  • Windows Server 2003 (Windows NT 5.2) including up to Service Pack 2
  • Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Windows NT 5.2) including up to Service Pack 2
and:
  • Windows Vista (Windows NT 6.0) including up to Service Pack 1
  • Windows Server 2008 (Windows NT 6.0) including up to Service Pack 1
  • Windows 7 (Windows NT 6.1) (planned)
  • Windows Server 2008 R2 (Windows Server 7) (planned)

...we see Windows 7 as our next logical significant release and 7th in the family of Windows releases...There's been some fodder about whether using 6.1 in the code is an indicator of the relevance of Windows 7. It is not. Windows 7 is a significant and evolutionary advancement of the client operating system. It is in every way a major effort in design, engineering and innovation. The only thing to read into the code versioning is that we are absolutely committed to making sure application compatibility is optimized for our customers.[15]
(Mike Nash, Microsoft's vice-president of Windows product management)

#18 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

View PostSphere, on Dec 13 2008, 04:25 PM, said:

and Obadiah:
Since there are massive speed and stability improvements on 7, I kinda doubt your statement that it's the same kernel

I was under the impression that most or some of the code had been completely rewritten?

You can grab it off x64bit server sphere :P:cc_surrender:

#19 Obadiah

Obadiah

• Bots
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:24 PM

View PostSphere, on Dec 13 2008, 04:25 PM, said:

and Obadiah:

Please go to 'MSDN' (The Microsoft developers), yourself and check it out; you do not have to believe me, rather get it from the 'horses mouth'! You can also check a non- Microsoft source...jusy google for Paul Thurrot's website. He is not entirley unbiased, but his site and expertise is well respected in the industry. Here is a cite from him:

Q: So is Windows 7 going to be a major Windows version?

A: This one is complicated. Windows Vista was a major release, and Microsoft is positioning Windows 7 as a major release as well. However, the language Microsoft uses to describe the technical underpinnings of the Windows 7 suggest that this product will in fact be a minor release, or what the Windows Server team would have called an interim, or R2 ("release 2") release. Microsoft corporate vice president Steven Sinofsky described it this way: "[We are not going to] introduce additional [in]compatibilities, particularly in the driver model. Windows Vista was about improving those things ... Memory management, networking, process management, all of the security hardening, all of those things will carry forth, and maintain the compatibility with applications that people expect. Windows Vista established a very solid foundation, a multiyear foundation, particularly on subsystems like graphics and audio and storage and things like that, and Windows 7--and then Windows Server 2008 built on that foundation, and Windows 7 will continue to build on that foundation as well."

Kernel. Windows 7 will feature an evolved kernel and underpinnings when compared to its previous-generation predecessors, Windows Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008. While it's unclear whether the "MinWin" kernel that Microsoft demonstrated in 2007 will be included with Windows 7, it is quite likely that the OS will include parallel processing capabilities, which will be implemented as .NET Framework 4.0 APIs.

So, do a bit of your own research, don't always believe what the 'spin doctors' say!

"we see Windows 7 as our next logical significant release and 7th in the family of Windows releases...There's been some fodder about whether using 6.1 in the code is an indicator of the relevance of Windows 7. It is not. Windows 7 is a significant and evolutionary advancement of the client operating system. It is in every way a major effort in design, engineering and innovation. The only thing to read into the code versioning is that we are absolutely committed to making sure application compatibility is optimized for our customers."

(Mike Nash, Microsoft's vice-president of Windows product management)

Mike Nash is a 'Product Manager,' would you really expect him to say anything else?

Edited by Obadiah, 13 December 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#20 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

View PostObadiah, on Dec 13 2008, 12:24 PM, said:

You can also check a non- Microsoft source...jusy google for Paul Thurrot's website. He is not entirley unbiased, but his site and expertise is well respected in the industry. Here is a cite from him:

Oh my gosh, Paul? lol, hes the WORST place to get info from. MS has kicked him out of the beta many times, and sneaks torrent betas. He's the last person you should listen to. look at his track record history, its all wrong. He should write for
"The Onion", Bet he's even is a MAC lover!

#21 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Dec 13 2008, 09:13 PM, said:

Oh my gosh, Paul? lol, hes the WORST place to get info from. MS has kicked him out of the beta many times, and sneaks torrent betas. He's the last person you should listen to. look at his track record history, its all wrong. He should write for
"The Onion", Bet he's even is a MAC lover!

I agree. I never listen to that guy, he's full of himself and full of sh!t. His site and his podcasts on twit say it all, lol. :P

#22 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

Mike Nash is a 'Product Manager,' would you really expect him to say anything else?

lol
paul thurrot's the village idiot, would you really expect him to say anything else?

#23 Obadiah

Obadiah

• Bots
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:24 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Dec 13 2008, 09:39 PM, said:

lol
paul thurrot's the village idiot, would you really expect him to say anything else?

Well he maybe a village idiot, but he is just one of many! I notice none of uze guys have any 'websites' that one can google!

I think you are both a little peeved (please correct me if I am wrong), that you possibly held out for another Windows Version that has essentially evolved from Vista, which ya'all seem to love to hate! Sorry to dissapoint you. Well I got news for ya...chew on it!

Here is the 'official' cite from 'MSDN' a Microsoft vetted statement (and not from Paul Thurrott). You know, do some research yourselves...

Microsoft cited: "[We are not going to] introduce additional [in]compatibilities, particularly in the driver model. Windows Vista was about improving those things ... Memory management, networking, process management, all of the security hardening, all of those things will carry forth, and maintain the compatibility with applications that people expect. Windows Vista established a very solid foundation, a multiyear foundation, particularly on subsystems like graphics and audio and storage and things like that, and Windows 7--and then Windows Server 2008 built on that foundation, and Windows 7 will continue to build on that foundation as well." (Cited: MSDN, 2-12-2008).

I am just wondering...are any of you qualified MCSE, MCSA, or better still MCST, MCITP guru's? Any Mainframe/Enterprise Server know-how, well guess what?

Edited by Obadiah, 14 December 2008 - 04:31 AM.

#24 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 04:51 AM

you are basically ranting here. i don't know what point, if any, you are trying to make, as your posts are disjointed and without merit in the threads you have posted.

#25 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:19 AM

View PostObadiah, on Dec 13 2008, 09:02 PM, said:

...I know, I have someone inside.
sounds serious. have you sought help for this?

#26 Obadiah

Obadiah

• Bots
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:46 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Dec 14 2008, 04:51 AM, said:

you are basically ranting here. i don't know what point, if any, you are trying to make, as your posts are disjointed and without merit in the threads you have posted.

The 'Internet' is the last true remaining Democracy on Earth; I am aloud to 'rant' as you put it! You are entitled to 'your opinion' like everyone else.

#27 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 05:52 AM

View PostObadiah, on Dec 13 2008, 09:46 PM, said:

The 'Internet' is the last true remaining Democracy on Earth; I am aloud to 'rant'...

well, you're not "entitled" to rant here. whatever gave you that idea?

#28 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:28 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Lets just not start name calling

#29 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

Well I haven't tried Win7 but I am hopeful that it is a refresh, update, improvement or whatever you wish to label it, Vista I can't strongly support as of right now. I did run it for several months prior to SP1 so my own view is limited in that, the exception however is that I repair systems daily and the fact remains that I see more Vista issues than XP...less viruses and such Vista even with SP has random and rather silly issues, Anyways, that's my opnion and I didn't call anyone a name except for them troublemakers Dave and Mike, bloody Vista lovers. :P

#30 dreyfus

dreyfus

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:09 AM

Ah guys... I couldn't resist.
So, let's clarify something:

Windows Vista SP1 = Windows Server 2008 (both are build 6.0.6001).
Windows Server 2008 even entitles itself like "Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 1"

Windows Vista SP1 will be 6.0.6002

Windows 7 is 6.1 because as Microsoft mentioned if there would be 7.0 many programs could generated many incompatibilities if they would found the major build no. of Windows like "7" and so for comatibility reasons it sets to "6.1"

and yes Windows Vista is a great OS and yes again, Windows 7 is indeed Windows Vista R2, rebranded for those who have psihical problems and compares Windows XP with it. Come one guys... on todays computers Windows XP is a shame. It's an old OS. On my machine which is an Q9450 /w 8 GB of ram XP runs as crap, not stable and buggy, seriously despite of Vista x64 working like a charm. For those of you still runing XP on mother machines... go and run Windows 2000 or why not Windows 98 cause it eats a little memory and stuff...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users