18 replies to this topic

#1 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:23 AM

The ideal device is one that does everything, that makes life easier and that makes technology a joy to use. Microsoft may just have found the ideal device. The idea is by no means original, everyone wants to give you the thing that you won't need to replace and that will 'do everything'. But as a consumer, surely all that matters is that you are happy with the product.

When you play music you use an mp3 player, you use your phone to telephone people, your PDA for a Personal Organizer and the laptop for work. Imagine something that assumed all these roles and took up less room than all of these. Just like both your eyes compliment each other, the Origami will be the link between all your gadgets and computers or if you choose the all purpose handheld.

The Origami is the hole in your pocket, thats my opinion. Microsoft fast needed something to gain ground with Apple becoming the multimedia leaders and Sony taking handheld gaming to new heights. The new device will run on Windows XP Tablet edition, a proven operating system your familiar with, Windows Media Player 10, Windows Messenger and of course gaming abilities. Its not an ipod and its not a PSP.

Your thumbs are no longer idle, infact they take over typing with a neat touch screen that is reminiscent of the Microsoft Ergonomic keyboard. If you fancy using a pen there is the good old stylus. What could be easier?

Music Streaming makes it part of your media center, i am guessing it will work with XP Media Center Edition to serve as some kind of middle device, also Video and Photos. Show your holiday snaps on its screen, a recent video or maybe a tune you made on your PC.

MS office will work with it. You could use it as a bridge from computer at home to computer at work or literally use it to create a document while on the move. This will be important to the business man and not just the abilities impress. Unless i heard wrong they will eventually want battery life to last a full day!

The spec of this masterpiece? Its not a disappointment!

Intel Celeron 900mhz
40 GB hard drive
7 inch screen
Wi-Fi
Bluetooth

With it running on Windows XP Tablet edition, customizing it shouldn't be too difficult. By that i mean using Windows XP applications on it, using custom wallpapers that you made to the correct dimension or maybe even going as far as to patch the uxtheme.dll and add any theme you want. Maybe seeing it running Linux or other Software won't be an unusual thing.

One thing i did think of was using Remote Desktop Applications to be able to control a computer via this little gadget, it should be possible! Once this device appears on the shelf, x64bit.net will try its best to keep you updated on all that comes to light. As for accessing other media, maybe sharing drives and resources via your Network would mean you could access CD/DVD/Floppy/USB Devices.

Anyone who is a photoshop user and would want to create a neat wallpaper, the dimensions of a wallpaper are 1024x512 Pixels :)

- Written by Karl Whitfield/Neon for X64bit.net -

What did i find odd? Its running on an Intel Processor...the new Macs will be running on Intels...

Here to see it close up

#2 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:33 AM

This is cool. and seeing what it does, i can see apple stock taking a dive. I really think ppl are going to jump on this and put down their iPods

#3 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:51 AM

i agree dave, the smallest thing on this scale that could rival this by Apple is the Mac Mini or the Powerbook...

#4 Serb-Man

Serb-Man

WindoWs CuStomiZer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:- Computers<br />- Sports<br />- Looking for nice girls :P<br />- Science and history<br />- Travelling...

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:04 AM

Nice thing. I've heard that this is one of the most interesting gadgets we can find at CeBIT, the technology show presented from 9 to 15 March in Germany, Hanover. Its price range (599- 999$) is not so high, considering that you can do almost all your stuff on this device, rather than on a mobile pc or a desktop. Neat invention!

#5 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:26 AM

Im now taking orders for this device, maybe if we buy them in bulk we can get a discount. :) :(

Just curious, but who would want/buy one and who would trade in their iPod for one?? <-- this would make a great poll :)

#6 Delerious

Delerious

Karl in Disguise

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:hmm, Anime well really anything japanese lol, music, movies, philosophy as it gives me an excuse to like do nothing and react like i am pondering why a chair is indeed a chair ^_~, imvery active online too so that is a interest i guess atleast i think so haha and erm writing i love my imaginative writing and poetry and erm yeah i now sound like a girly pansy great stuff *manly stanse* ahem i also like my basketball been playing since i was 6 and yeah been on around 6-7 different teams and played also on my high school Footie team and trained with Stockport county Juniours. hmmm yeah changed this into a autobiography great stuff, sorry ^__^

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:14 AM

The microsoft baby was also basically a step up from something like a good idea encorperating the features of other gadgets and binding it together intoone good work of art so to speak ^^

Well done microsoft but is it enough? i mean sure it is cool and it is a good invention but is this going to highlight as a invention and be as popular as say the Ipod? I dont know i just can not see many rushing to the shops to buy it needs a hell of a good Advirtising programme maybe they will learn from Apple and not choose a U2 song in their adverts though :)

#7 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:29 AM

COUNT ME IN!!!! I must have one Dave :)

#8 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:39 AM

Here are some Wallpapers for the program launcher on the Origami Device from the Origami Community Site. Program Launcher ships with six background images that you can choose from, MS say you can download these ONLY if you promise to use them only with the Microsoft Touch Pack.

Program Launcher is shown at the bottom. Though the windows in this will look like your regular XP, this will make apps more accessible along with that.

Click the previews to expand :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More of 'em here

Attached Files

#9 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 02:52 AM

View PostDelerious, on Mar 9 2006, 06:14 PM, said:

The microsoft baby was also basically a step up from something like a good idea encorperating the features of other gadgets and binding it together intoone good work of art so to speak ^^

Well done microsoft but is it enough? i mean sure it is cool and it is a good invention but is this going to highlight as a invention and be as popular as say the Ipod? I dont know i just can not see many rushing to the shops to buy it needs a hell of a good Advirtising programme maybe they will learn from Apple and not choose a U2 song in their adverts though :)
All Microsoft has to do is use Apples Advertising gimmick. Make people think its trendy and they have to have one. Honestly, if millions of people are throwing down 300.00+ bucks on a xbox360 bare bones, not even premium, i can see them selling a zillion of these devices for just a few bucks more.

Bottom like is, it does so much!

Does anyone see how MS is playing their cards? Look at how they are shifting, Windows live MOBILE, OFFICE, MESSENGER, VIRUS SCAN, E-MAIL, etc. all on a handy device, and not using much of a footprint

#10 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:25 AM

It seems the idea is to take on everyone at once and fight for their space :)

Everyone loves the ability to roam and with this device and with 'live' software to use, how can you go wrong?

#11 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:38 AM

look at me, I'm already addicted, i must have one :) and I haven't even got to touch one :(

#12 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:03 AM

Here is an Advert :)

Posted Image

#13 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:44 PM

Keep that info coming Karl, I'm loving it :) WHo knows, maybe in a few montsh I can be accessing x64 from my Origami at work :(

#14 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:58 PM

Since x64bit.net WANTS to be able to make the Origami Project more fun, i converted a spare desktop of mine to Tablet PC edition to test tweaks and things that will work on the final product.

I mean by this adding what ever the Operating System is missing. OF course before doing this i will test each tweak that could cause problems on my OWN device when i get one :)

Attached Files

#15 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

Aww so nice of you to sacrifice :P... I'm very interested on if Tablet can run EQ2 or not :P

If it can... I might have to mod my Origami a bit so it cna be an EQ2 machine :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users