95 replies to this topic

#16 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

holy mackerel! i just scored me some Dahlquist DQ-12's! yeee haaaaa!!!
yeah baby yeah!!! out goes the plasma, in comes computer and audio gear!
fun i think...

#17 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:45 AM

i was gonna get some original rogers (i love them), but these babies showed up 'pick up only' about 70 minutes from me. i have to say i have lusted after some Dahlquist goodness for a bit. it's on!

#18 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:44 AM

figures...
patty and i busted a move through the mansion laden grape country, went down a private drive...
the seller was a totally nice guy, fired the DQ-12s up. sounded mint. they were beautiful looking for their age ('were' will be explained in a moment...). after our arduous journey to and fro the filthy rich, speakers were placed in the living room, in all their splendor.
this is where 'were' begins: our newborn kittens waited til midnight, then tore the beautiful ghostly fabric covering of the speakers to shreds! OMG!!!
upon removal of the damaged covers, the drivers turned out to be in perfect shape (we are talking speakers from the early 90's). i'll leave them w/o covers til i find some anti-cat repellant, then i'll re fabric the lot...still waiting on banana plugs to do the 'bi-wire' dahlquist recommended so long ago...

#19 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:30 AM

plugs came in, wired them up, and tested them 8ohm and 4ohm, as per documented directions:
4: bigger mid/bass. patty likes.
8: more 'air', lean tight (weak?) bass, opinion is out to be interpreted, atm.
biggest issue: i might have left the tube amp w/o load for more than15 minutes...bad idea. bad idea is also not having said tube amp mounted lower than you can actually get a visual re amp status/on or off...

#20 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

after checking w/people in the know, i'm good to go ;)
sprayed the removed speaker covers with a mint insect repellant. i am hoping the kittens will be repelled by the strong mint aroma.
still shopping around for rug spikes...

#21 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:01 AM

i went ahead and removed the original stretchy fabric from the grill frames, and applied fiberglass window screen fabric using 3M 'super77" spray glue. not as pretty as the original covering, but much more kitten proof ;). once the cats have settled in, i'll get new fabric on them.

#22 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

well, i decided to go ahead and pick up a crown x2000 pro power amp to try bi-amping the dq's. if this doesn't bring out more bottom end, i'll use the x2000 for a pair of home brew subs...

#23 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:09 AM

tuesday delivery for the crown. can't wait, though still don't have the listening room set up...

#24 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

http://www.musicians...x450w-power-amp

http://static.musici...269372285_A.jpg

#25 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

I just read through this thread. Is there any English up in here? Thing is all alien to me :P

#26 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:53 AM

it's like this: a 4ohm load x 2 on the crown vs the lowpass of the DQs...does it equal "big badda boom", or "you just lost your ('expensive/non replaceable/very few examples left on this earth') lunch..."

#27 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

still haven't hooked up the crown. patty has relocated to sonoma county, so i get to re do the "living" room (sans big tv. i want it gone. no takers. it goes in the bathroom if all else fails...), i.e., hifi speaker placement, and subs, and...

#28 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:02 AM

lol, while waiting for the right day to shampoo the carpets and do the final room switching, i got an itch, and ordered a couple of 10" subwoofer drivers, and some ready made boxes (which will still need to be modded). once things are in place, this should be interesting...

#29 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostDavid_Heavey, on 30 September 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

I just read through this thread. Is there any English up in here? Thing is all alien to me :P

:giggle: :lipssealed: :giggle:

#30 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:00 AM

the two 10" bravox drivers came in today, along with the cheapish 12" driver ready-made boxes. going to go sealed subs. the bravox have rubber spiders! sweet dvc drivers. they are used for car audio, but because of their xmax and power handling, i think they will be super for a limited bandwidth sealed box usage for hifi. found inline line level passive 'fmod' lowpass 70hz filters for the crown. now i just have to make up new baffles for the cheap boxes to fit the 10-inchers in, and damp them to the hilt w/rockwool....

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users