3 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:55 PM

images/news/microsoft.jpgWhen not threatening to sue Linux makers, Microsoft can't help itself from partnering with them. Redmond today announced a buddy-buddy deal with desktop Linux maker Linspire.

We'd call it a stretch to say that anyone cares about the technical details behind the Microsoft-Linspire tie-up, but that would send a handful of Linspire zealots into seizures.

Reg

#2 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:39 PM

Well..... it seems that Microsoft won't open up about their patents because of IBM's threat (they were like "you opening up about patents on Linux? Then we open up about patents we own that you use!"

So, I think, Microsoft is slowly trying to eliminate Linux this way. I think, it should be forbidden to form these alliances, because it gives:
1. The other part a false sense of safety
2. Microsoft an unwanted view in the Linux way of development
3. Removes the invention-driven way the Open source community was used to work
4. It's unfair to the customers of the distributions (though.... who the heck uses Linspire????)

#3 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:49 PM

I really don't understand all these patent deals. Maybe that's because software patents are ridiculous to begin with. Show me the patents and show me the code, otherwise it's pure bullsh*t. But what else is new in Redmond?

#4 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:12 AM

Well... that too, anyone ever seen the MS patents?

If they are their patents, why are they so shy on publishing what they're talking about? Nobody's allowed to use the patents anyway, right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users