27 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:22 PM

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Saddam Hussein was convicted and sentenced Sunday to hang for crimes against humanity in the 1982 killings of 148 people in a single town, as the ousted leader, trembling and defiant, shouted "God is great!"

Saddam, his half brother, and another former official in his regime were sentenced to hang for the deaths of 148 people in the town of Dujail in 1982, following an assassination attempt on the former leader.

Three of his co-defendants received jail sentences and a seventh was acquitted. (See below)

The former leader's defence team plans to appeal the verdict within 30 days. The death sentences automatically go to a nine-judge appeals panel that has unlimited time to review the case. If it decides to uphold the sentences, the executions must be carried out within 30 days.

Iraqi authorities imposed a curfew and beefed up security across Baghdad in the days leading up to the verdict in an effort to curb sectarian violence that's been plaguing the country. A curfew had been imposed, extra checkpoints were put in place and all leave for military personnel had been cancelled.

After the court hearing, one of Saddam's lawyers called on Iraqis to keep the peace and not to take revenge against U.S. forces.

"His message to the Iraqi people was `pardon and do not take revenge on the invading nations and their people'," lawyer Khalil al-Dulaimi said. "The president also asked his countrymen to `unify in the face of sectarian strife."

Read More

#2 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:05 PM

Posted ImageWhat ever happen to Bin Laden?

#3 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

they are still looking for him... bout time they decide something

#4 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:50 PM

Dang that was one long trial!!!

#5 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:57 PM

What ever happen to Bin Laden?

They decided to give up and go for Saddam instead :rolleyes:

#6 simon

simon

simon says Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

justice and for all ! :talker:

#7 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

Can't wait to hear he is dead!! I wonder if they will show it on TV??

#8 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:21 PM

While I do not disagree with the verdict, I fear the chaos that is now in Iraq will give way to virtial anarchy once the sentence is carried out. Martyrs can be far more powerful than someone sentenced to a non-revocable life sentence yet still alive. Martyrs can take on a power and mystique that the living, even though imprisoned, can not possess. And remember, a martyr becomes a martyr when someone views them that way. I fear there are many, in numerous Muslim nations, that will see Saddam in the way. Matyrs become a focus point and can often bring together disparate groups. While I pray this will not happen, the full and possible scope of this action should be weighed very carefully...talker. :talker:

#9 godless

godless

GTA 4 is a ps2 relic with better graphics...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:39 PM

I dont see how anyone would revolt over saddam, many might remember what they had while he was in power, but many more will smile at his death, its weird how the insurgents react over this, reading from what they say, attacks will probably occur because of this, of course they are fanatics so what do i know.

on another note, this tribunal is as saddam put it fake, hes not being tried by a world tribunal, hes being tried by an iraqi court, so i look at his sentencing as fake, and a mock trial, lets face it he was dead the day the US captured him.

Of course, he might deserve to die, but I dont know that much about Iraqi history, nor have I seen his crimes first hand...

Edited by godless, 05 November 2006 - 11:41 PM.

#10 nitram

nitram

NITRISCO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:45 PM

Its not over yet. :talker:

#11 VoodooGuru

VoodooGuru

When I get a chance, I get up and dance and do the Curly shuffle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 11:49 PM

You think it is bad in Iraq now? Wait until they execute him.

Uh, yeah... where is Bin Laden? I'll tell you where... he is in the Lincoln Bedroom or at the ranch in Crawford, TX.

#12 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:34 AM

Iraq is leaning towards Civil War regardless.....this will add fuel to the fire.......

#13 VoodooGuru

VoodooGuru

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:23 AM

What most people don't know, don't realize or in some cases don't care to remember or admit is who put Saddam Hussein into power and helped keep him there; who provided him with the chemical/biological weapons and who provided him with the information to start his nuclear program (all of which were destroyed in the first Gulf War) in the first place.

That would be Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, DICK Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld.

Saddam Hussein was a bad man, but he had a lot of help from our government. Those that gave him that help should be tried for treason.

Iraq did not attack us and had nothing to do with 9/11. It was a lie pushed by this administration from day one after 9/11 and 2/3 of the country accepted the lie as the truth even though there wasn't a shred of evidence to support the lie.

It is all about the oil.

#14 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:36 AM

I agree. Our troops (UK) were sent to war based on lies from Bush's little puppet (Blair) and its time they BOTH stand up to the consequences for doing so...........'deception' is my term for it.

I really hope the Democrats wipe the floor with the Republicans come Tuesday........if only to make that guy's last 2 years in power as uncomfortable as possible.

#15 VoodooGuru

VoodooGuru

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:24 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Nov 5 2006, 08:36 PM, said:

I agree. Our troops (UK) were sent to war based on lies from Bush's little puppet (Blair) and its time they BOTH stand up to the consequences for doing so...........'deception' is my term for it.

I really hope the Democrats wipe the floor with the Republicans come Tuesday........if only to make that guy's last 2 years in power as uncomfortable as possible.
Even thought he Democrats lead in all of the polls, the Rethuglicans will find a way (read: Diebold) to steal another election just like they did the last 3 and the Democrats will not do a thing about it again.

Edited by VoodooGuru, 06 November 2006 - 03:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users