• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

I tried to update my P5W bios and got an error while trying to write to the chip...
Asus Update program was able to erase the old bios data but couldnt write the new code. So now i have a dead rig.

I called a technician to write to the chip and he told me that the chip was ruined. I dont know... but still have my doubts... Anyways i tried to buy a new one but simply couldnt find a place to do that in the whole city... Thats a nonsense... cant find a a place to buy a bios chip in a city with more than 3 million inhabitants... that makes me sick !

:rofl_mini: :cc_surrender: :(

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:51 PM

View Postvrosa x64, on Mar 25 2008, 01:02 PM, said:

I tried to update my P5W bios and got an error while trying to write to the chip...
Asus Update program was able to erase the old bios data but couldnt write the new code. So now i have a dead rig.

I called a technician to write to the chip and he told me that the chip was ruined. I dont know... but still have my doubts... Anyways i tried to buy a new one but simply couldnt find a place to do that in the whole city... Thats a nonsense... cant find a a place to buy a bios chip in a city with more than 3 million inhabitants... that makes me sick !

:( :cc_surrender: :)

can you pull the chip out (removable)? i know biosman here in the states specializes in this. what a bummer. scary stuff indeed... :rofl_mini:

#3 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

You can put in the mobo CD at boot up and it will restore your BIOS........:cc_surrender:

#4 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

For most BIOSses the rule of thumb is "don't touch it"

and, if you do think I need to update:
DON'T!!!!

(unless your system is really really really unstable and you cannot blame Microsoft anymore)

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:23 PM

tyan recommends updating the bios at each release, though there is always the chance something will go wrong. it sounds like vlad's chip is unable to save any info, or he can't reach post. either way, looks like a trip to the bios doctor, or new board...dang!

#6 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

Wow, I didn't know you could actually remove that chip. Anyhow, I wouldn't try it lol. I flashed the BIOS on my old MSI board once or twice and never had any problem. Though it is risky and wouldn't do it without good reasons. Good luck on getting that board running agains :cc_surrender:

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:54 AM

View Posthog, on Mar 25 2008, 04:32 PM, said:

Wow, I didn't know you could actually remove that chip. Anyhow, I wouldn't try it lol. I flashed the BIOS on my old MSI board once or twice and never had any problem. Though it is risky and wouldn't do it without good reasons. Good luck on getting that board running agains :cc_surrender:
i dunno if it is standard for consumer boards, but i believe it is typical of server/workstation mobos (i'm thinking of picking up a spare, just in case...).

#8 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:03 AM

One of the benefits of an ASUS board.

Crash Free BIOS

Repair a corrupted BIOS from the mobo CD or USB stick :cc_surrender:

Highly unlikely that the chip will not be writeable.

Edited by scaramonga, 26 March 2008 - 01:05 AM.

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:25 AM

View Postscaramonga, on Mar 25 2008, 06:03 PM, said:

One of the benefits of an ASUS board.

Crash Free BIOS

Repair a corrupted BIOS from the mobo CD or USB stick :rofl_mini:

Highly unlikely that the chip will not be writeable.

that's asus hyperbole... :cc_surrender: (hope you're right there, scara).

#10 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Mar 25 2008, 08:06 PM, said:

You can put in the mobo CD at boot up and it will restore your BIOS........ :roadrunner:

It doesnt work... it doesnt even post nothing at boot up

Highly unlikely that the chip will not be writeable

Asus update app was able to erase the old BIOS, but couldnt write the new one...

:chriso:

#11 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:24 PM

vlad, do you know if your bios chip can be removed? i have heard of people swapping out chips from similar systems (w/same chip), and reflashing them to work in another board, but have never tried it...

#12 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

Yes, MO. My chip can be removed, but i dont think it will resolve the prob. In my opinion i lost mine :roadrunner:

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

um, you get the number off it, call up the biosman peeps, and they send you a pre-flashed brand new one. i sure hope they can work with you. if they are not international, let me know, and we can firure something out...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users