- - - - -

Microsoft cuts apps from Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

Microsoft has decided that Windows 7 won't include built-in programs for e-mail, photo editing, and movie making, as was done with Windows Vista, CNET News.com has learned.

The software maker included Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Mail, and Windows Movie Maker as part of Vista, but later chose to offer separate downloadable Windows Live programs that essentially replaced those components with versions that could connect to online services from Microsoft and others.

Microsoft told CNET News late Monday that it has decided to remove those features entirely from Windows 7 and instead offer only the service-connected Windows Live versions as optional free downloads. Earlier on Monday, Microsoft had declined to say how it was handling things.

In a follow-up interview on Monday, Windows Vista general manager Brian Hall said Microsoft made the decision to remove the tools from Windows for several reasons, including a desire to issue new operating system releases more quickly than it has in the past. The move also removes the confusion of offering and supporting two different programs that perform essentially similar functions.

ZDNet Aussie

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:02 PM

this is neat, i was hoping for something like this. more modular, leaner...

#3 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Sep 23 2008, 05:02 PM, said:

Yup....it's certainly a step in the right direction, removing useless bloat is always welcome :christo: :christo:

#4 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:57 AM

Ahhh, but I like my bloat. LOL Good for them, I hope Win7 is a killer OS. But hey, i guess i am easily pleased, i like Vista. :christo:

#5 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:15 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Sep 23 2008, 12:02 PM, said:

My thoughts go in the same direction. :christo:

#6 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Sep 23 2008, 12:15 PM, said:

Microsoft has decided that Windows 7 won't include built-in programs for e-mail, photo editing, and movie making, as was done with Windows Vista, CNET News.com has learned.

The software maker included Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Mail, and Windows Movie Maker as part of Vista, but later chose to offer separate downloadable Windows Live programs that essentially replaced those components with versions that could connect to online services from Microsoft and others.

Microsoft told CNET News late Monday that it has decided to remove those features entirely from Windows 7 and instead offer only the service-connected Windows Live versions as optional free downloads. Earlier on Monday, Microsoft had declined to say how it was handling things.

In a follow-up interview on Monday, Windows Vista general manager Brian Hall said Microsoft made the decision to remove the tools from Windows for several reasons, including a desire to issue new operating system releases more quickly than it has in the past. The move also removes the confusion of offering and supporting two different programs that perform essentially similar functions.

news.com

Windows Mail and Movie Maker are useless for me, but i like Photo Gallery ! :christo:

Hey Scara, the link is pointing to the CS4 thing :christo:

#7 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

View Postvrosa x64, on Sep 24 2008, 10:43 PM, said:

Hey Scara, the link is pointing to the CS4 thing :christo:

Fixed :christo:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users