- - - - -

Dell charging to downgrade to XP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

images/news/dell.jpgDell has announced that it will stop selling new computers with Windows XP from today, unless buyers spend an extra $50 to downgrade their operating system.

Customers looking to buy models from the company’s Vostro line will be offered Vista Business as the operating system but Dell will downgrade the system for an extra $50. Some of the company’s XPS gaming systems will also be charging for the downgrade.

The move will raise eyebrows, since the company may be seen as trying to cash in on the unpopularity of Microsoft’s latest operating system.

vnunet

#2 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 19 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

I gotta say, everybody that pays $50 for a 'downgraded' laptop with XP is an idiot, if you have Vista, you can get a downgrade-key from Microsoft for free!

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

well, the customer would have to do the install themselves, not to mention have the necessary chipset/gpu/storage specific drivers, etc.

#4 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:55 PM

If they install all hardware perfectly there's no prob ! :friends:

#5 WFO

WFO

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:26 AM

Ahh... the old mob break their arm if they don't upgrade! And if they still refuse, break a leg too approach. The things business learns from organized crime. :friends:

#6 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:49 AM

actually for the average person this, charging more for xp, has been constant from the onset, now they are just adding more to the cake. I looked up several dell laptops and every combination of hardware with xp was more expensive then its vista counterpart.

#7 stormrosson

stormrosson

Established Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

:friends: Dell is just another intel/microsnot money-grubbing suck-ass that takes advantage of the customer at every opportunity :pray:

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

View Poststormrosson, on Jun 23 2008, 06:14 AM, said:

:clarky: Dell is just another intel/microsnot money-grubbing suck-ass that takes advantage of the customer at every opportunity :chrisno:
yep, them expensive perc 5/i cards chap my cheney, if ya know what i mean... :giggle:

#9 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

SAME THINK :clarky:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users