14 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 02:05 AM

We have an article on our Newspage about XP and WGA. Seems XP validates itself a little more frequently than expected. Why? What is it reporting that we dont know? What are your thoughts??

#2 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

It's in short, calling home to see if the installed windows is still legal.

http://feeds.feedbur...ica/BAaf?m=2764

#3 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:24 AM

That just pisses me off. How typical and convient that Microsoft doesn't tell their customers that the software phones home. THANK YOU MICROSOFT!!!

#4 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:35 AM

According to the definition used by Symantec, this is spyware :)

#5 simon

simon

simon says Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:23 AM

Is this illegal ?

#6 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:13 PM

By definition, spyware is not illegal, neither is what Microsoft is doing now, but as a reference, imagine this:
You're at the movie, bought your ticket, and every 10 minutes, a steward comes by to check if your ticket is still real.

#7 simon

simon

simon says Post

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

got a valid point that..

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

View PostSphere, on Jun 9 2006, 09:13 AM, said:

By definition, spyware is not illegal, neither is what Microsoft is doing now, but as a reference, imagine this:
You're at the movie, bought your ticket, and every 10 minutes, a steward comes by to check if your ticket is still real.
Im a little confused here, If your system has been checked, and you have a valid WGA why would it need to recheck?
If you are in a movie theatre, maybe the stewart doesnt remember you and asks, but with WGA, you are already validated on the local, WHY does the local need to contact MS and recheck its WGA over and over again?? Thats just like being in a movie theatre, and every time you see a stewart you jump up and say "see i bought my ticket" Another words, your system calls MS, MS does not call you.

#9 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:34 PM

The compare was to show it's really really annoying....

But yeah, the system is about the keys that turn out to be illegal lateron.... that's what they want to prevent

#10 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 05:27 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Jun 10 2006, 03:36 PM, said:

Im a little confused here, If your system has been checked, and you have a valid WGA why would it need to recheck?
If you are in a movie theatre, maybe the stewart doesnt remember you and asks, but with WGA, you are already validated on the local, WHY does the local need to contact MS and recheck its WGA over and over again?? Thats just like being in a movie theatre, and every time you see a stewart you jump up and say "see i bought my ticket" Another words, your system calls MS, MS does not call you.

First off ..why's it matter if your legit? They are protecting you if you payed for it right?

then read a statement from MS themselves:

"Microsoft confirmed that the software makes the daily call as a "safety switch," so that the company can turn off the program if it needs to."

nuff said ..stop with the paranoia :( :)

#11 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 11 June 2006 - 03:04 PM

View PostBlueScreenOfDeath, on Jun 10 2006, 10:27 PM, said:

First off ..why's it matter if your legit? They are protecting you if you payed for it right?

then read a statement from MS themselves:

"Microsoft confirmed that the software makes the daily call as a "safety switch," so that the company can turn off the program if it needs to."

nuff said ..stop with the paranoia :( :)
Its not paranoia, lets say a company or school has Dell or HP computers, on each computer they have Cert's. of Auth. stickers on them. With the Program Key. Now Lets say workers or students copy that key and use it to install a copy of XP on other systems. eventually, if MS decides to use "that switch" it could that down the company's or schools computer(s) by mistake.

Do you see that this is not a good idea? :smoke:

#12 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

Dave smoking is bad for ya :)

yeh, i just think that getting a key is too easy. there are even applications to get them from an OS. suddenly someone becomes a victim.

#13 Linoman

Linoman

Established Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:01 AM

I still think its ridiculess. someone actuley goes out and buys $$$ XP and then because of what ever reasons MS turns it off. Thats not fair

#14 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:25 PM

i didnt make it clear from my last post, i DO NOT LIKE THAT IDEA - i like privacy.

#15 tc1

tc1

Charlie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Anything concerning computers

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:13 AM

Microsofts afraid they might loose a nickel, heaven forbid, we all know they are just poor folk like us, lmao :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users