• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:10 PM

Since today, my system keeps giving random crashes of the nVidia kernel. Tried every driver (64-bit offcourse), but no help.

Does anyone else ever had this issue?

All I changed was add 4G to my system, totalling to an 8G.

Gonna run a Memtest tomorrow, but even a clean install didn't solve my problem. I'm guessing either driver-issues, but that would be strange, the system ran perfectly until today!

Removing the newly added RAM doesn't help anything.

My final guess, is a card-failure. I'm gonna try a different card tomorrow (I still have an old 6600GT somewhere) I hope that it'll solve the problem (thus WARRANTY! YAY!)

But, until then, do any of you have any clue of what might go wrong besides defected hardware?

#2 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:36 PM

Problem solved...

It was an old ram-strip that wasn't inserted correctly :giggle:

#3 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:33 PM

Ok, problem start to re-occur, but I found out why, through some RAM-tuning in MSConfig advanced boot options, check this data out:

msconfig 4096MB = shows after reboot 3071MB in the taskmanager detected localVRAM=924581888
msconfig 6144MB = shows after reboot 5119MB in the taskmanager detected localVRAM=1217781761
msconfig 7168MB = shows after reboot 6143MB in the taskmanager detected localVRAM=1754652673
msconfig 7424MB = shows after reboot 6399MB in the taskmanager detected localVRAM=1888870401
msconfig 7680MB = shows after reboot 6835MB in the taskmanager detected localVRAM=2117459969
msconfig 7804MB = shows after reboot 6779MB in the taskmanager detected localVRAM=2088099841
msconfig 7936MB = shows after reboot 6911MB in the taskmanager detected localVRAM=4911104= Whoops!

This occurs the moment the system encounters any real load. From the looks of it, a 32bit floating-point error in the nVidia kernel drivers. Issue so far still unresolved in newer versions. It seems nVidia drivers from before 180.* do not have this issue.

I hope this will help someone?
Best is to set your boot RAM to the 7804 suggested value, sadly, this means, you're gonna miss about 2G. You could, thus, also just insert 6G of RAM for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users