Microsoft...open-source

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Should microsoft start some Open-Source Projects?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 02:44 PM

I think it would paint them as a much more human Organization rather than a money making machine.

what do you think?

#2 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

No, Microsoft should stay away from OSS, just for the reason it would make them look hypocrits in the public eye I think...

#3 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 19 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

it would be nice to touch the code but I think Sphere is right on this. But think if they gave us 95 open source LMFAO

#4 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:00 PM

nah i meant like start a NEW project, let developers create something for the OS and maintain it, MS support it!

Either that or if Internet 7 flops, make that Open-Source! :)

#5 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

hmm I dunno, microsoft is all about being "microsoft" and not letting others help with coding I think we are lucky to be beta testers O.o

#6 clarky3429

clarky3429

No I will not fix your computer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 08:58 PM

yes maybe a few minor things, but they never will I dont think

#7 tc1

tc1

Charlie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Anything concerning computers

Posted 20 March 2006 - 12:13 AM

Nah, will never happen, the Gates Money Machine, doesn't do anything for free. Pay, Pay, Pay. :)

#8 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 09:03 PM

it'll be open source if you pay to SEE the source not touch it.

not save it, not play with it, not alter it, you have to travel to a special building and read through it on a special pc that shuts down ever 5 min... mmust be a windows OS :)

#9 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 11:12 AM

lol.

Well so you all know, there was an internal document leaked from microsoft on how they could make more money and get more business. one of the ideas from brainstorms was actually open-source.

Could it happen? Microsoft need money from what they do, but if they STARTED something new with people who knows what could be achieved. For example gadgets for the sidebar...Microsoft encouraged a sort of open-source approach...HERE

#10 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

I bet who ever came up with that idea was eaten alive by bill gates personally LOL

#11 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

Right some news on this front. Your all wrong ha ha :P :D :lol:

Read below ;)

Microsoft Opens Public IE Bug Database

Taking a page from Mozilla's playbook, Microsoft on Friday launched the Internet Explorer Feedback Web site, a public database that enables users to submit bugs and make suggestions for the ubiquitous browser. The system will be used for IE7 and all future releases.

Built atop the Connect platform Microsoft uses for beta testing, Internet Explorer Feedback will track issues discovered in IE7 much like the open source Bugzilla software used with Firefox. A Passport account is required, but a forthcoming update to the site will enable anyone to view existing bugs without logging in.

Beta testers will also be instructed to utilize the system to report any bugs they come across during testing. Microsoft says the site likely has a number of kinks that will be worked out, but it wanted to put it live before the IE7 Beta 2 launch, which is slated for the coming weeks.

"After much discussion on the team, we've decided that people are right and that we should have a public way for people to give us feedback or make product suggestions," IE developers said in a blog posting. "We wanted to build a system that is searchable and can benefit from the active community that IE has here."

The effort is a shift in policy for Microsoft, which has long kept bug information restricted from the public eye. Now, anyone will be able to see the number of outstanding problems with Internet Explorer, and even potentially security vulnerabilities.

Microsoft notes that "truly time sensitive bugs" should be sent through the Redmond company's normal security channels to ensure they are addressed immediately. Bugs can also be marked private, which would limit their access to Microsoft developers.

The company promises to carefully listen to feedback it receives, but acknowledges not all requests will be filled and some bugs may remain unfixed.

"Not every bug reported will necessarily be fixed. Issues reported during the IE7 Beta 2 will be looked at and we will do our best to fix issues reported to us," said IE team member Al Billings.

"We have committed to doing regular releases of Internet Explorer moving forward. Anything that we cannot fix during IE7 that is a valid issue will be considered for the next IE release following it."

#12 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

one thing that bothers me is

but a forthcoming update to the site will enable anyone to view existing bugs without logging in

Does no one else see a problem?

#13 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:09 PM

yeh, go forth and exploit

#14 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

No no no... I'm afraid of others exploiting my problems because My name's attached to that paticular problem :) It's like saying "Here I am, attack me" I think

and then with not having to log in, you can be easily exploited without being able to so easily find the culprit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users