63 replies to this topic

#31 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:25 PM

at the time of install, Was that an original XP Pro disk, and was your system OC'd when you did the install?

#32 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:40 PM

Sometimes problems come from really weird places. I was getting a BSOD everytime I tried to print something over my home network, but my network was working fine and I had no problems printing from the computer directly connected to the printer. Turned out to be the printer was configured to use A4 paper instead of Letter US o_O Now it works like a charm. My problem was easy to pinpoint since it was obviously my printer, but in your case it might be maaaaany things I think!

Sincerely I would be worried about you hard drives. Since you disabled the overclock, if you RAM is set to a 1:1 divider it should now be running at lower speed so I don't think it should be RAM-related. I'd try rebuilding everything from scratch and if your drives are screwed well, they cost almost nothing now.

#33 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:57 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Sep 26 2007, 09:25 AM, said:

at the time of install, Was that an original XP Pro disk, and was your system OC'd when you did the install?

:graduated:

#34 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

I'm getting ready to do a full reformat and start over. I'm going to try to only add things I have to have and then slowly add things piece by piece to see if I can ascertain the issue.

One thing I didn't mention is that for the last few months I've been having to use a TV and a 15 inch CRT tandem as my monitor(s) (running the monitor normally and the TV through RCA plugs). I just got my 24 inch LCD back today and so that will be back to normal, but there's that added strangeness of my monitor situation to throw out there.

Anyhow, thanks for all the replies.

I did use my XP Pro disk and start fresh on both of the installs that got screwy. I did have it OC'd at the time of the install, and except for when I killed the OC to see if it would still blue screen, (it did), it's been OC'd for the duration. Never had any issue with it and I StressPrimed it for over 24 hours to check stability.

I'm about to check out that prog, Tweak. Thanks.

#35 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:15 PM

When installing XP, DO NOT have your system OC'd

#36 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Sep 26 2007, 02:15 PM, said:

yep, can cause all sorts of problems down the road. could be the issue...

#37 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:00 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Sep 26 2007, 05:15 PM, said:

I did not know that. I'll turn my FSB back to 200 or 220...whichever's the norm... when I install XP this time, and then ratchet it back up to 256 after it's finished.

Thanks for the info.

#38 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:14 AM

cool. keep us informed mane, as i am really curious re: the outcome :graduated:

#39 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 02:40 AM

Why not go X64? I'm sure you've told me why not before but I don't remember the reason.

Edited by banj0, 27 September 2007 - 02:42 AM.

#40 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:31 PM

View Postbanj0, on Sep 26 2007, 10:40 PM, said:

Why not go X64? I'm sure you've told me why not before but I don't remember the reason.

Hardware support, some progs I use, and ATI's MMC. I use the MMC as a Tivo type thing, and record things to my hard drive.

Anyhow, reformatted last night and been slowly adding things here and there. So far, so good.

#41 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 02:51 AM

View Posteniparadoxgma, on Sep 27 2007, 04:31 PM, said:

...reformatted last night and been slowly adding things here and there. So far, so good.

cool :talker: i hope it all works out.

#42 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:41 AM

Well, I just got my first BSOD since the reformat. I was d/l'ing via bit torrent (legal Linux distros of course) and moving some files around from an external drive onto my Raid array when it happened.

Check this response out that I got from Sickdreamz over at the planet:

Ok I had a VERY similar Xp with my Opty 165.
I have only run XP home 32bit OS.
No RAID here yet so that part I can't call it chief.
I was getting Random BSODS no ryhm no reason Memtest showed RAM A-OK.
0-00000007E 0-0000008E Stop code erroes and IRQ BSODS And Unstable operation of my comp in general.
Then sometimes it would boot and run fine then BSOD in the face and unstable all over again.
With the BSODs it turned out to be no more than DIRT BUILD UP Up UNDER the CPU!!!

Thats Right about a .5 MM swath of dirt about 3 pin rows worth of dirt up on my CPU Socket!

Apparently the Zalman CNPS9700 HSfans with there design can deposit dirt as a byproduct across the CPU-CPU Socket area wile the CPU is Installed.

It was not until I was gona try my CPU in another MoBo that I discovered the dirt field on my CPU Socket.
I have since sealed off mu CPU similar in the way you would if you where to use Phase exchange.
It was thick too after cleaning that off I reinstalled my CPU and not 1 single anomaly in the 4 months since.
Was able to hit 3.0 GHZ stable afterwards but even with it nekad was too toasty ;/
HTH
thmbup.gif

I'm going to rip my box apart and redo the CPU and heatsink in a little bit to see if I find any dirt, or if it fixes the problem. I also use a Zalman HS and there might be some dust bunnies floating around in there.

Damn it this better work. :talker: <------------How this is making me.

#43 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:23 AM

that sounds bazzar...i've used the zalmans for a long time, and never noticed anything like that. seems almost impossible, ie: the cpu is "squished" under the hsf. no pins are accessible. what are the temps you were getting? a chipset problem would seem more likely, unless your cpu hsf kinda worked loose. how hot is that chipset(s) getting? i have had a few boards where the sink was at an angle, not sitting directly on the chipset. i had to remove the plastic mounting pins, clean and grease it up again. the temp went down quite a bit.

#44 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:29 AM

CPU and mobo are both at 41C right now while ripping a movie. I noticed Sick has an Asus A8n-32-SLI while I have an A8N SLI Premium. Hmm...

#45 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:57 AM

the asus was a board i had had the chipset hsf issue with: it was barely noticable. i caught it before i installed the mobo. actually, the only real bluescreen issues i have ever had were with asus boards. i won't buy another one. bios and driver conflicts were the norm. i ended up pulling the drives on it and transplanting them to a dfi. after a hal fix, i never had issues. heck, the last time i saw a bluescreen was two years ago, with the a8n sli...i hope it is just some simple thing. :talker:

EDIT: sorry to sound so caviler/flip. i just really didn't like the asus stuff i had. i could be a very isolated case, and you might just be having probs caused by running a sata optical...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users