#16 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:39 AM

View Postbanj0, on Apr 1 2008, 11:18 PM, said:

Congrats Habs! :g: :sphere: I'm sure Montreal is buzzing right now.

We're gunning for the Presidents' Trophy now. San Jose is hot on our heels but I'll bet the Wings get it.
pffff, they're 5 points behind. Wings will win it again. But we'll get the cup.

#17 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:46 AM

It hinges on Friday. If we beat the Blues and the Sharks lose, it's wrapped up.

Hog, it feels like we have a shared history in a sense. Since the Presidents' Trophy was introduced in 85 or 86 or whatever, the Red Wings are the only team to have won it more than twice (5 so far, 6 if we get it this year). Yet, the Canadiens have the most overall 1st place seasons in NHL history with 21. If the Wings get the Trophy this year, they'll be 2nd with 18.

Les Habitants have by and far the most Cup wins with 24 but the Wings now have 2 sports records---the longest consecutive playoff-appearances in North American Pro Sports history, and the most consecutive winning seasons in North American Pro Sports history.

I know they'll rank the Blackhawks and whomever else in the original 6 rivalry thing, but Montreal and Detroit are the top 2 franchises in NHL history. And, undeniably, the Wings are number 2 in that sense. But like the kid brother, they've grown into a powerhouse the last 20 years.

Still, I'm pulling for a Wings-Habs Cup Finals. Let's pull together for a modern-day showdown!

#18 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:04 AM

View Postbanj0, on Apr 2 2008, 01:46 AM, said:

It hinges on Friday. If we beat the Blues and the Sharks lose, it's wrapped up.

Hog, it feels like we have a shared history in a sense. Since the Presidents' Trophy was introduced in 85 or 86 or whatever, the Red Wings are the only team to have won it more than twice (5 so far, 6 if we get it this year). Yet, the Canadiens have the most overall 1st place seasons in NHL history with 21. If the Wings get the Trophy this year, they'll be 2nd with 18.

Les Habitants have by and far the most Cup wins with 24 but the Wings now have 2 sports records---the longest consecutive playoff-appearances in North American Pro Sports history, and the most consecutive winning seasons in North American Pro Sports history.

I know they'll rank the Blackhawks and whomever else in the original 6 rivalry thing, but Montreal and Detroit are the top 2 franchises in NHL history. And, undeniably, the Wings are number 2 in that sense. But like the kid brother, they've grown into a powerhouse the last 20 years.

Still, I'm pulling for a Wings-Habs Cup Finals. Let's pull together for a modern-day showdown!
Yup, there's no doubt the Red Wings and the Canadiens are the two biggest teams in NHL history and I don't know the stats but I bet there have been a lot of Detroit-Montreal finals. And I sure hope this year will see another one. I want a 25th Cup before the 100-year anniversary in 2009. :sphere:

I didn't know about those records the Wings have. It's very impressive.

Sincerely, I didn't expect the Wings to dominate this year again with the old Hasek and the loss of Shanahan, Fedorov, etc. in the past years. It seems guys like Datsyuk and Zetterberg took over. :g:

Edited by hog, 02 April 2008 - 06:05 AM.

#19 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:32 AM

Guess who Montreal will be playing against in the first round of the playoffs? Boston! It would be so humiliating for them if we beat them in 4 games :g: In any case, this should be a great series,

Also good luck against the Preds, even though you won't need much of it lol...

#20 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:50 AM

I hope the Bruins enjoy their long summer break. :g:

#21 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:06 AM

"Phew"

The Preds got too danged close there. I sure hope the Flames lose so we can bury the Avs once again! MWUAHAHAHAH!! If Osgood doesn't start out the rest of the playoffs, the D will go nuts. Well, more nuts than usual. :giggle:

As an aside----with the win in game 6, the Wings just moved past the Leafs into 2nd place in all-time playoff wins. Behind who? Les Habs, of course!

hog, game 7 tomorrow.... what's gonna happen? I'll be rooting like hell for ya but I'm thinking the Sabres are gonna pull off the upset. As much as Montreal overachieved this year, it would still be a disappointment to lose in the 1st round. But I'm thinking the Sabres are all about payback right now. Remember 2006 when the Montreal fans booed the U.S. national anthem while Boston was in town? And the next game, when the Boston fans, pissed off as we all were, responded by cheering their ARSES off for "O Canada?" Even Don the Cherry was pissed off at the C fans.

I'm thinking karma is about to bite, and bite hard.

edit--Hope not though, to be sure. I'd still like to see a showdown. Good luck!

Edited by banj0, 21 April 2008 - 06:07 AM.

#22 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

First, we are playing against the Bruins, not the Sabres! :giggle: lol

Oh man, Kovy and the gang better play a good game tonight, cause the way they played in this series (except in the first game, which was awesome) we should have already lost. As Tomas Plekanec said, they "play like little girls". It's horrible and disappointing. We have been in the first place in the league in power plays the whole season and now the PP does absolutely nothing.

You know what the worst thing is? In 2004, we played against the Bruins and everybody thought they would crush us. We were losing 3-1 and we managed to win the series. This year, Boston's coach Claude Julien is the one who was coaching Montreal when that happened.

People say if Carbo wears his magic tie we will win for sure. He was wearing it on the first game of the series and at the last game we won against Boston in the season.

On your side, the Wings of won the series, but hell I thought about you when I saw the Preds tie it 2-2! And I do hope for you that you will get to play against the Avalanche. :cigar:

Attached Files

Edited by hog, 21 April 2008 - 02:33 PM.

#23 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

View Posthog, on Apr 21 2008, 10:29 AM, said:

First, we are playing against the Bruins, not the Sabres! :cigar: lol

Buffalo, Boston, Providence---all the same to me. :giggle:

#24 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:46 PM

The Habs did it, and what a game! A 5-0 humiliation for Carey Price's second shutout of the playoffs. Look at those videos, and be afraid at what will happen if we win the cup! People are crazy, but it's so much fun!

And BTW, Carbonneau was wearing his magic tie!

Edited by hog, 22 April 2008 - 03:46 PM.

#25 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

View Posthog, on Apr 22 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

And BTW, Carbonneau was wearing his magic tie!

:giggle:

Congrats man. I didn't see the game but watched the highlights. What a way to end the series!

I'd love to see the Caps/Flyers tonight but I'll be at work. You think Washington will pull it off?

#26 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:27 AM

View Postbanj0, on Apr 22 2008, 03:31 PM, said:

:giggle:

Congrats man. I didn't see the game but watched the highlights. What a way to end the series!

I'd love to see the Caps/Flyers tonight but I'll be at work. You think Washington will pull it off?
I was also working, and went to a movie after. I just came back (12:21 here). I was kinda hoping for Washington to win cause of Huet and Ovechkin is so nice to watch playing, but I'm not too sad that the Flyers won. They are the one we are playing against next, and that starts thursday! This is not going to be easy. Oh and what team are Detroit playing against next?

#27 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:46 AM

If Calgary wins, we get 'em. If they lose, we get the Avs. :giggle:

#28 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:24 AM

View Posthog, on Feb 26 2008, 02:12 PM, said:

oh and banj0, Forsberg and Foote are back in Colorado, are they gonna kick your winged butt? :)

Red Wings rout Avalanche for series sweep

Posted Image

:scara: :graduated: :)

The "experts" have said the Wings-Avs rivalry has been dead for a long time but game 4 still felt GRRRRR-EAT! :)

BTW, I was lucky enough to get to see all of game 4 of the Habs-Flyers. No lie, when Koivu tied the game my friends and I literally jumped for joy. The penalty that won the game for Philly, in all of our humble opinions, was pretty BS. Still though, Briere does know he's not as good as he's played in the playoffs this year, right?!? Holy cow, the guy has morphed into a cross between Bure and Mario.

It doesn't look good but I hope Montreal gets back in it. Keep the faith!

#29 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:02 PM

Keep the faith!? Of course I keep the faith! The Canadiens play much better in this series than they did against Boston and we have so much bad luck: in game 3, we had 34 shots VS 14 and we lost 3-2! We hit THREE damned posts only in the first period. I could only watch the end of game 4 (the comeback and fall) and man I thought we would steal this game but the penalty to Bégin...

Still, I know the Habs can do better than this, and there's no doubt Carbo will wear his magic tie tomorrow as this will be a win-or-die situation... I also think the referees are a bit too permissive as the Flyers (expecially Hatcher) do a lot of cross-checks and interference they rarely get any penalty for it. The Habs are not that kind of team so we don't get to be violent without being penalized, cause we just aren't violent... Anyways, we will win this! :scara:

I'm happy that Detroit crushed Theodore and Forsberg (he should have come to Montreal instead) like they did! :) Apparently the Stars are in good position to win this cause even if the Sharks did win the last game no team can come back in a 0-3 series... As we said, in the west it's either the Sharks or Wings that will end up first so you shouldn't have any problem winning against Dallas! :) Meanwhile, the Wings's players can get some rest. :graduated:

#30 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:53 AM

Good to see you guys are still believing. I know that at 7:00 tomorrow, a lot of Wings fans will be pulling for the Habs. I'll be one of 'em!

With the Wings-Avs, a lot of people think the wind left the rivalry's sails after Claude was gone. But running Roy from the net in the final game of the 01/02 series and subsequently winning the cup, I think, is what kinda bookmarked the end. But true hatred never really goes away. :graduated:

The Sharks won tonight but I think they'll get closed out in game 6. Nothing in me sees the Rangers coming back. God, if the Eastern Finals are an "all Pennsylvania" affair I don't think I'll even watch it.

(ok, that's a lie. :) I'll still watch but, dammit, I won't be happy about it.) Good luck!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users