• 524 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:25 PM

X64bit Newsletter
April 2006 Volume: 1 Issue: 7
Posted Image

Quick Tour of New Vista 5342
By Nvyseal

Attached File  First_Screen.JPG   113.74K   85 downloads

On March 25th, Microsoft released to beta testers the latest version of Vista build 5342. I
know, you say “another build, this is getting boring”, but this build is different, (digg it)! IT
WORKS!! This build comes after Microsoft postponed the retail release for the up and coming
operating system until 2007. We also have information that almost 60% of the code for Vista
will be rewritten.
We are happy to share with you some screenshots of this new build and brief information
about it. Included in this build is an extensive collection of drivers and the exclusive sidebar.
Glass is also a feature that we all have come to respect and love, along with the 3D flip. The
official version number is 6.0 Version 5342.winmain_idx04.060321-1730. Internet Explorer
7.0 is build Version 7.0.5342.2. Nice features include a new "Paint" and needed redesigned
network center. Be prepared to have your system "Rated" again by this OS, and don’t be
disappointed by the rating, as things will improve as the OS improves. This version includes an
"Ultimate Extras" services (live update, windows live) for those who "own" a copy of window
Vista. With windows "Ultimate" Vista, you get Cutting edge programs, Innovative services and
Tips and Tricks, w00t!!
Install still takes a lengthly amount of time, but is virtually unattended. Install on a P4 3.66 it
took 45 minutes. Vista rebooted 1 time

See more Screenshots and what others had to say here

Office 2007 Beta Refresh
Review by Neon

As many of you already know office 2007 beta refresh rolled out last month, here is what
Neon had to say:

Firstly installation - This looks quite nice and more tidy. Not many things to comment on here,
but i note how you can choose upgrade or customize your installation. You can even leave older
versions of Office installed. The whole process is very straight forward

I had a shock when i first opened Microsoft Word. Immediately i was reminded of Vista when i
saw an Orb in the top left corner, reminiscent of the Vista Start menu Orb. When I clicked this
orb I find that the File menu looks very much like a Start menu.
Performance wise I couldn't find fault with it and as I navigated around the layout that is very
much the same as previous Office 2007 (formerly Office 12) builds. Very accessible! If I want
something, I click and a whole category is there and I can see all the available functions. Note
the zoom feature in the bottom right is still there and now almost like the Quick Launch on the
taskbar, there is a similar thing above the Office Orb button. On top of this there is a great
menu for customizing MS word, including what format you save in.

PowerPoint has been given the same attention as Microsoft Word. Menus are easy to use and
to understand, all the main features that you are more likely to need are at hand. It has same
options as you can get in Word, such as which format you save slideshows in. Backward
compatibility will be very important to a lot of people. Things like animations and insert are
now right where you can get them. If you highlight any of the animations you get a preview
quickly below on the stage. Same with Sounds and other extras

Excel is one of the big three. Word, PowerPoint, Excel are the main applications we all use.
This too got the new layout and theme. It’s important in spreadsheets to be able to complete
tasks quickly, and users won't be disappointed with just how easy things have become. Note
how formulas are right there to get to!

As I have mentioned, Performance, Accessibility and Power are the key things here and you
certainly get them. I will go as far to say that this is the best Office suite I’ve ever used and
already better than Office 2003. I don't know how near to release this is but MS could
probably release this publicly and get a great response.

Read More With Screenshots Here

Windows Onecare Beta Ends

On March 20th Microsoft sent out e-mails to all windows onecare beta testers saying that
the beta has came to an end. Here are a few things the e-mail/connect had said: Some of
the stuff we have added as a direct result of your suggestions includes the backup to an
external HDD option and advanced Firewall settings. More of your ideas will be added in
future versions. To thank our valuable beta users, we are offering a promotional deal of
$19.95 (for 3 PCs) for the first year of service to beta users who become subscribers between
April 1st and April 30th, 2006

Hear what others had to say about it Here

IE7 beta 2 preview

Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 continues the Internet Explorer commitment to provide enhanced
security and privacy, additional browser features, and enhanced usability for platform
developers. Features and fixes described in this article explain behavior changes you can
expect to find in the beta 1 version of Internet Explorer 7 for Microsoft Windows XP Service
Pack 2 (SP2) and Microsoft Windows (code-named "Longhorn").

Read what others had to say here

Site News

The staff at x64bit would like to welcome all new members. Well also want to congratulate all
the active members and the posts all members have made here at x64bit. We are also happy
to see our member counts up. We made it over 340 members and still growing. We are
nearing 20,000 posts, wow that’s a lot and we can’t do it with out all our loyal members.
Also Newsletters are now Posted Image and updates with the release of each newsletter :lol:

April Birthdays
X64bit Would Like to wish The following People an Happy Birthday and we hope it’s the best
one ever

Attached File  post_182_1143699228.gif   8.78K   13 downloads

rickdog's - 1st
ACiD BuRN - 6th
x2p - 9th
Tobb555 - 11th
Shane - 12th
Twitchness - 12th
tc1 - 24th
tjdg - 26th

Cool Links

Vista 5342 style system screen - By DJD
ATI drivers for Vista 5308 - By Neon

© 2006 X64bit.net
All Rights Reserved
Editor atsaunier

Edited by atsaunier, 03 April 2006 - 10:04 PM.

#2 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:47 PM

nice newsletter tony :lol:

i enjoyed the read

#3 error51

error51

Elite Newsposter

• Newsposter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:36 AM

Nice reviews! Good job NvySeal, Neon, and Atsaunier. I'll bake some cookies and send them off to you right away.

#4 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:02 AM

There'll be no need. Thanks Ruby.

#5 error51

error51

Elite Newsposter

• Newsposter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:33 AM

View PostNeon, on Mar 31 2006, 04:02 PM, said:

There'll be no need. Thanks Ruby.

You're welcome Karly.

#6 ACiD BuRN

ACiD BuRN

the always learning student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

Nice to read guys :). And I'm feeling so happy that mentioned my birthday :)

#7 DJD

DJD

Super Adv. Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

Cool i am in the news letter. :)

#8 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:40 PM

View PostxCIAx, on Apr 1 2006, 01:33 AM, said:

You're welcome Karly.

Ruby, april fools over. Stop being a fool.
-------------

all thanks to Tony and his hard work.

Nothing like a new month!

Happy birthday folks :)

#9 x2p

x2p

Network Security

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Basketball,dj'ing and cars

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:12 PM

yeah my birthday sunday 19 years and 16 days 45 minutes before it me dre...sorry drifted off lol

#10 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

just wanted to put this in... Today's Rev's birthday so spam him with mass pm's telling him happy b-day XD

#11 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:26 PM

will do :)

#12 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:27 PM

heh thanks guys, he's in hiding today :) actually his internet's kinda goofed up but he shoudl be online tomorrow at work (If he works tomorrow)

#13 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 10:56 PM

yeah :)

Well i hope the newsletter was interesting, tony really did well. The vista quick tour as usual was good!

#14 error51

error51

Elite Newsposter

• Newsposter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:42 AM

View PostNeon, on Apr 3 2006, 03:56 PM, said:

yeah :)

Well i hope the newsletter was interesting, tony really did well. The vista quick tour as usual was good!

The Office 2007 review was my favorite one! :P

#15 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:29 PM

lol thanks :medieval:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users