7 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:07 PM

images/news/internet.jpgWeb browser TV watching not doing it for you? Hulu on Thursday introduced a downloadable desktop version of its video Web site.

Hulu Desktop provides access to Hulu content for a "rich, full-screen" video watching experience, Hulu said in a blog post. The offering is available on Windows and Mac – but not on Linux – and can be controlled via mouse, keyboard, or any six-button PC or Mac remote control.

"Hulu Desktop was built by a small group on our engineering team who asked themselves one day: how can we make it easier for users to immerse themselves in the great shows and movies Hulu is fortunate to have access to?" Hulu wrote. "Our answer was to build a new PC and Mac application that gives users the option to step outside of their browser, keyboard and mouse and into something different."

Desktop is part of Hulu Labs, a new beta section on the site that will provide sneak peaks at upcoming material.

"From new recommendation algorithms to tools for building custom widgets to a time-based view for browsing your favorite shows, we'll be sharing a variety of these new creations with you at Hulu Labs," the company said.

Can you get everything on Hulu Desktop that you find on Hulu.com?

"Generally speaking the Hulu library on Hulu.com will be available through Hulu Desktop," Hulu said on its site. "While our goal is to have the same content library available on through all of our distribution channels, we work together with our partners to determine availability of their content on these various channels."

You don't need to set up an account to download and watch Hulu content, but you will need to sign in to access your queue, history, subscriptions, playback quality and closed captioning preferences. Profile details, privacy settings and friends are not accessible from Hulu Desktop.

The download will require at least 2GB of RAM, a Flash installation, and Windows XP or Mac OS v10.4 or later.

In April, Hulu announced that it will soon add content from ABC, making CBS that only major network that does not contribute to Hulu.com.

hulu Desktop
Via: PCMag

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:24 PM

hey, that's neat. just downloaded it :bluerip: hulu is my tv access. works for me...

#3 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:49 PM

won't install in xp sp3. errors out...wtf?

Attached Image: stupid_app.PNG

#4 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:58 PM

Flash up to date? Flash 9.0.124

~ Edit:
Found this: http://www.hulu.com/discussions/19

#5 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:13 AM

Working great for me ran setup as admin on W7 RC

Posted Image

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:52 AM

it's an xp thing lol. i'll sort it at work, but really i was just trying it out (won't use it at work, of course...lol). dave, is it different (in quality) from just going to hulu and watching shows?

#7 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:56 AM

work flawlessly under win7 x64 :bluerip:

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on May 28 2009, 08:52 PM, said:

it's an xp thing lol. i'll sort it at work, but really i was just trying it out (won't use it at work, of course...lol). dave, is it different (in quality) from just going to hulu and watching shows?
Yes, its like watching a DVD on your computer. Commercials are there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users