16 replies to this topic

#1 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:09 PM

Bad memory's from 2005 for DDR2, the speedy new technology didn't make expected headway in 2005, but HOLD ON!

This was supposed to be the year that a speedier new DRAM moved into the mainstream: a technology that could lower power consumption while increasing data speeds. But the technology, DDR2, failed to make the grade, due largely to a lack of acceptance among desktop PC users.

The fact that DDR2 didn't hit the numbers to be dubbed the mainstream, or most widely used DRAM chip, doesn't mean it never will. It's expected to become the mainstream chip next year. But its lack of acceptance in the market this year will likely slow the pace of improvement in DRAM technology.

Personally i will adopt this technology A.S.A.P i can get the time and funds, will you?

#2 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts
  • Interests:An abundance :P

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:31 PM

You should really read the portal ;)

Anyways... If I had the money yup, I'd be right up there helping them push the numbers, so long as my trust company supplied them :P

#3 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:02 PM

Shadow if i bring a topic on the board mate, thats because it will make interesting discussion, as it is i already saw it on the portal :P

Anyways, AMD are gonna support DDR2 100%. So it will become more popular with them pushing it.

#4 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:30 AM

Sorry Karl... I didn't mean to offend , there's just a comment spot on the portal to comment on the news.... maybe the news posted should be directly linked to the board?

again, sorry Karl :P

#5 Visentinel

Visentinel

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:07 AM

Nope ! DDR-SDRAM 500 or 550mhz is the best high performance chips you can buy right now.

Memory doesn't use much power anyways.

#6 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:40 PM

I think while this is a setback for memory, increasing demand will eventually make DDR2 the standard.

#7 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

View PostRedInferno, on Nov 9 2005, 07:40 AM, said:

I think while this is a setback for memory, increasing demand will eventually make DDR2 the standard.

Well if u look at it DDR2 is actually making headroom and the cas ratings are somewhat respectable now ... right now DDR2 can provide almost 8000mb/per sec , it would be dumb for amd not to jump on the bandwagon with ddr400 and 500 only providing 4000-5000 mb a second. The cas ratings look high but their not ...a rating of 4-4-4-12 is actually like 2-2-2-6 which is low class, ddr2 is a new breed and does more cycles per clock than normal ddr so its not a bad thing but i think AMD was waiting for their cards to line up before they jumped aboard.

#8 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:42 PM

That is true...Intel had already supported ddr2 back with the Their chipsets (925X) back a while ago on their mobo, and Asus' 925XE Mobo supposedly supported up to 711 mhz ddr2. Right now they are at 667 mhz i think, but they have a lot more expandibilty with this memory, and with starting clock speeds like that they are only going to improve from there.

#9 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:38 AM

lmao believe it or not DDR3 is already on the horizon ... but FB-DIMM is also rearing its head :P

#10 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:07 PM

WHat new technologied would make this FB-DIMM special...and what does it stand for btw? :P

#11 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

heres the 411 on FB-DIMM (AKA: Serial RAM)

The technology supports up to six channels of eight double-sided FB-DIMM modules each, or a maximum 192GB of RAM.

FB-DIMM memory (short for Fully-Buffered Dual Inline Memory Module) is a variant of standard DDR2 memory designed for server applications where both large amounts of memory and memory co-ordination and accuracy at high speeds are essential.

FB-DIMM memory combines the high-speed internal architecture of DDR2 memory with a brand-new point-to-point serial memory interface which links each FB-DIMM module together in a chain.

right now its only used in servers but since it proves as a major breakthrough for ddr2 likely AMD and Intel will adopt it in the near future.

#12 patman174

patman174

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:00 AM

I am a Big DDR2 ram fan. I have a 512 piece in my poweredge server, and that machine runs amazing. This was one of the cheaper servers Dell offered and i only paid 265 for it. It had the memory i just described, 160 gig serial ata hardrive and 2.53 celeron D 533 FSB processor. This machine runs better than some Pentium 4 Systems of higher speeds. The memory is amazing though, i am in the process of buying more.

#13 ShadowFox

ShadowFox

High Priest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,969 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:24 AM

I'm a big DDR Ultramix fan XD (Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix :P)
but no, seriously, I can't really afford DDR2 or I'd give it a go I've heard good reviews on it, and this FB-DIMM ram sounds AMAZING O.o

#14 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:01 PM

View PostBlueScreenOfDeath, on Nov 10 2005, 04:07 PM, said:

heres the 411 on FB-DIMM (AKA: Serial RAM)

The technology supports up to six channels of eight double-sided FB-DIMM modules each, or a maximum 192GB of RAM.

FB-DIMM memory (short for Fully-Buffered Dual Inline Memory Module) is a variant of standard DDR2 memory designed for server applications where both large amounts of memory and memory co-ordination and accuracy at high speeds are essential.

FB-DIMM memory combines the high-speed internal architecture of DDR2 memory with a brand-new point-to-point serial memory interface which links each FB-DIMM module together in a chain.

right now its only used in servers but since it proves as a major breakthrough for ddr2 likely AMD and Intel will adopt it in the near future.

THnx BSOD....BTW are you A+ certified? :P

I think FB-DIMM has won me over now :(

#15 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:02 PM

View PostRedInferno, on Nov 11 2005, 01:01 PM, said:

THnx BSOD....BTW are you A+ certified? :P

I think FB-DIMM has won me over now :baaasmiley:

lol no not A+ yet lol i wouldnt mind gettin it though if i could afford to spare some bones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users