• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:24 AM

:withstupid: Well, I cleaned out one of my pantries to use for my computer stuff. I plan to run my home server(s) in there with my office computer as well.

I have a CNet PowerSwitch CNSH-2400, Sonicwall SOHO3, Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and a Motorola cable modem. The Sonicwall I have never used (was given to me by a friend, as was the PowerSwitch). I plan to run CAT5 over to where my TV is (on top of a corner fireplace) and to where my desktop will be (monitor, keyboard, mouse and USB hub). That will probably only take up about 100' of cable realistically.

For the server and home office computer I will run a new circuit for power (probably a 20 amp breaker) for them to run off of. I will also be running UPS for them both. I will also run another 20 amp circuit for my laser and other printers to run off of.

The home office computer in the closet will run cables to the wall plate that will include: networking, HDMI, USB x2 and two RCA jacks. That will end up being (if you can't count good LOL) a six keystone plate to both locations. At the desktop location, I will run a USB hub for external peripherals, the HDMI for the monitor (DVI to HDMI conversion cable from the computer in the closet to the wall), network (hard line for the lappy) and the RCA for stereo audio to either the monitor or external speakers. It will take about 15' of cabling from wall plate to wall plate. This computer will be wired to the switch.

For the server I will run CAT5 from it to the switch, and I am debating on running a 17" LCD monitor in the closet just in case I have any problems with the server and have to log into it directly. If I do that, I will have to have a place for a keyboard and mouse to be housed.

Oh, the reason for using the 17" LCD is I lost the mate, so I replaced it with an 21.5" Asus full HD widescreen monitor (she looks great). I am going to go single screen for a while now. It has VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs.

Oh, and we will be getting a new TV tomorrow that will be sitting in said fireplace location. It is a Samsung 46" LCD TV. Let me get some pictures up here in a bit to show you what I am working with. :giggle:

//**********edit**********
Here is the server closet (will place the computers on the floor):

Attached Image: DSC_0657.JPG

And up here I need to put in a fan for cooling (any ideas?):

Attached Image: DSC_0658.JPG

And finally, this is where I will be running the desktop (about 15 feet away):

Attached Image: DSC_0659.JPG

Edited by Christopholofigus, 02 February 2009 - 09:11 AM.

#2 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:32 PM

Christo,
A small exhaust fan located in the ceiling of the closet may be enough to pull the heat up and away. You can use something like is found in bathrooms or some other type of small 6" fan. It will require an electrical connection but may well do the job. Good luck...Bill. :withstupid:

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

you could also put in a louvered door, like this:

Posted Image

#4 Camaro

Camaro

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

both seem like great Idea's the door to allow more air in the fan to pull the heat up and out.

#5 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

I agree with ventilation getting fitted, it will get mighty hot in there running 24/7. Nice plans Christo :withstupid: , oh, and run no less than CAT5e, or even better, CAT6, for all the difference is in cost anyway. Try and get the 'shielded' variety also, if the cabling is running near power cables :giggle:

#6 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:21 PM

:withstupid: Thanks for the feedback guys. Using a bathroom fan would vent out the side when I would want it to just vent straight through the wall, so I think that is out. The louvered door would be nice, but I don't think the Mrs. would approve...that and I am trying to keep cost down. There is about a 1/2" gap at the bottom of the door, so I think that would be enough to let air get through. I have thought about getting a few 120mm case fans and put them behind a generic register. Heck, with that much space, maybe just a register to let the hot air at the top naturally vent would be enough.

#7 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

View Postscaramonga, on Feb 2 2009, 10:19 AM, said:

I agree with ventilation getting fitted, it will get mighty hot in there running 24/7. Nice plans Christo :withstupid: , oh, and run no less than CAT5e, or even better, CAT6, for all the difference is in cost anyway. Try and get the 'shielded' variety also, if the cabling is running near power cables :giggle:
Unfortunately I don't have the budget this month for buying cable. My brother gave me about 300' of CAT5 for free...so I can't beat that. Oh, my switch is only 100 meg not gig so I don't think it will matter that much. I will only be running 2 cables right now anyways so I don't think it will be a problem changing it out when I do more and have the funds for it.

#8 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 11:59 PM

So what will this "closet computer" have on it?

#9 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:11 AM

So a jagged hole cut with a steak knife and a box fan on the side it is I guess.

:giggle: :mellow:

:withstupid:

#10 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:46 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Feb 2 2009, 03:59 PM, said:

So what will this "closet computer" have on it?

Ha ha ha. Just Server08 box or WHS and my deskie computer. :withstupid:

View PostTweak, on Feb 2 2009, 05:11 PM, said:

So a jagged hole cut with a steak knife and a box fan on the side it is I guess.
:mellow: :lol:
:giggle:

Nothing like redneck cooling huh?!

#11 Tweak

Tweak

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:07 AM

View PostChristopholofigus, on Feb 2 2009, 08:46 PM, said:

Ha ha ha. Just Server08 box or WHS and my deskie computer. :giggle:
Nothing like redneck cooling huh?!

Well you shot down the other ideas and said budget so I thought of what might make the cheapest solution. :withstupid:

#12 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

So Christo me friend, how be ya doin' with tha buildin' projec' n' stuff? :giggle:

#13 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

View Posthog, on Feb 10 2009, 03:18 PM, said:

So Christo me friend, how be ya doin' with tha buildin' projec' n' stuff? :giggle:
:talker: Images will be up tonight. Almost completely finished with it.

#14 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:43 AM

:giggle: Whooo, busy busy. A bit late, but here you go guys. What an undertaking. All I need to do now is get the wiring done above the fireplace where the new TV sits. I will have coaxial, CAT5, HDMI and component ran there. First is the coaxial and CAT5 though.

The cuts for the closet and the desk:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Running the wires:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Well look at that, all nice and neat with keystones:
Posted ImagePosted Image

The desk finished (still need to clean up the wires though):
Posted ImagePosted Image

The server/computer closet (see the vent, got 2x 120mm fans on the way):
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Christopholofigus, 21 February 2009 - 06:10 PM.

#15 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

Neat job :talker: coming on good Christo :giggle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users