16 replies to this topic

#1 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:59 PM

That's it, I'll be receiving my brand new 8800GTS 640mb this week and I won't even be able to try it out! I was playing WoW (shame on me) yesterday night when all of a sudden everything was suddenly turned off, with no BSOD or any other warning. I was kinda freaked out, but I recalled that this had happened in the past and the computer still worked find after. I thought it was because of video cards overheating (there's not enough airflow around my Sli cards). But this time when I tried to push the power button nothing happened except for the fans turning about 1/4 of a turn and stopping. Nothing else, not even a beep.

I tried to stay calm, I thought of letting the computer to rest for a little while. No luck. Tried another power supply right away, plugging only the necessary components, nothing. I'm down to mobo or CPU, but it still looks awkward. On one side, it doesn't look like the mobo is dead cause the LEDs on it light up and fans get juice, only they don't really start. On the other side, even if the CPU was dead I think the system would boot, just wouldn't post. I'll steal my old 3000+ from my brother's computer and then we'll see. Oh I even tried removing the battery and putting it back, no better of course.

Now I just hope I will find a way to work it out, or if I find the faulty part I hope I can RMA it, cause I'm not in the mood of spending too much money, not after that 400$ (CND) video card.

#2 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 23 July 2007 - 05:43 PM

Bummer dude!!! That really sucks!! Yeah I would guess the psu first, but since you tried that I would also say mobo!! You could not have a processor in it and it would still do something. I would bet it's the mobo.

You play WoW?! What realm you on?!

#3 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:26 PM

That really sucks man ;) ... i hope you can resolve it soon and try your new toy out :P

#4 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

Couple things I would check:
- Plug it into a different electrical outlet.
- Take the motherboard out and plug everything back into it to make sure it's not being shorted in the case.

#5 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:14 AM

View Postbrewin, on Jul 23 2007, 02:32 PM, said:

Couple things I would check:
- Plug it into a different electrical outlet.
- Take the motherboard out and plug everything back into it to make sure it's not being shorted in the case.
Tried, and tried. Motherboard's dead. So it seems. At least I know the processor is fine cause I'm now running it on this computer (my brother's) together with one 6600gt while I contact DFI and try to get my mobo RMA'ed.

#6 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:18 AM

It may be the switch in your case. Did you check that?? I had this problem

#7 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:43 AM

I had the same problem once too Nvy. A screwdriver touched to the correct pins fired it right up.

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:58 AM

tough going, hog ;) . mobo's a complex things. a cap goes bad, and that's that. time for an rma. hope you resolve this soon, and cheaply :P

#9 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 12:38 AM

View PostNvyseal, on Jul 23 2007, 08:18 PM, said:

It may be the switch in your case. Did you check that?? I had this problem
mmmh didn't think about that. Hope DFI doesn't ask me to do that before sending the board. I'll just tell them I did!... I dunno, maybe it would be worth trying, I'll check that tomorrow depending on DFI's answer.

#10 adriandkicks

adriandkicks

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:47 AM

Nevermind...Cant read lol

Edited by adriandkicks, 26 July 2007 - 06:48 AM.

#11 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:17 AM

Counting the time it took for Purolator to ship the card to DFI and adding to that the 10 days DFI says they take to process with RMA requests, plus the time for the card to come back, I was expecting to have my board back in the first week of september. What a surprise I had when I came back from work today and it was there, waiting for me! I quickly opened the box to unveil a brand new motherboard! (I know it's new cause it smells like new plastic, y'know what I mean) I built my computer the fastest I could, making sure everything was done properly, and adding the brand new 8800GTS 640MB I still hadn't tried out. And that's it, everything works fine! I still heven't finished downloading the drivers for my video card yet so it feels kinda ugly, but I'll try that card in LOTRO tonight! Man I wanna see those trees, and rivers and mountains and lakes....hhhaaaaaaaa..... :mellow:

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 12:30 AM

:mellow: yeah buddy! have fun! glad this all worked out. so...what was the problem?

#13 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 01:28 AM

cool, good luck buddy :mellow:

#14 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 28 August 2007 - 02:55 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Aug 27 2007, 08:30 PM, said:

:mellow: yeah buddy! have fun! glad this all worked out. so...what was the problem?
Well they haven't told me anything, so I guess they just figured the board was plain fried and sent me another :mellow: But whatever, it works now!

#15 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 28 August 2007 - 05:53 AM

:mellow: nice, glad you got it all squared away hog. I just RMA'd a thermaltake PSU today myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users