112 replies to this topic

#46 shoebappa

shoebappa

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 11 2008, 11:01 PM, said:

i just ordered my camera body! used, but from the place shoebappa recommended (keh cameras). i hope to find a lens soon, one that i can afford ;) brew's results inspired me to the point that i will now have to get that beret, and grow that goatee ;) ...oops, forgot the tripod...gotta call dag...

Congrats, you'll have to post some shots when you get it!

#47 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

View Postshoebappa, on Apr 15 2008, 05:45 AM, said:

Congrats, you'll have to post some shots when you get it!
;)

#48 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:44 PM

it came! ;) thanks shoebappa, the camera from keh and 50mm f/1.8 lens are just tops. the body looks brand new, and works perfectly. i can tell i really need a tripod though (lol).

#49 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 18 2008, 04:44 PM, said:

it came! ;) thanks shoebappa, the camera from keh and 50mm f/1.8 lens are just tops. the body looks brand new, and works perfectly. i can tell i really need a tripod though (lol).

That sounds great Mo, so where are some pics????? Why the tripod, a little shaky are we???? Egad, so many questions...talker. ;)

#50 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

the tripod is for my shaky hands (for the hdr stuff, you have to take three consecutive shots of your subject, and even though the software seems to help out with aligning stuff, you can still notice ghosting if the camera is not immobile). right now, i have more of a portrait lens, so getting those cool big 'scape shots to set off the hdr effects will have to wait 'til i can afford zoom/telephoto stuff.

#51 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Interests:Anything interesting.

Posted 20 April 2008 - 12:01 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 19 2008, 10:31 AM, said:

the tripod is for my shaky hands (for the hdr stuff, you have to take three consecutive shots of your subject, and even though the software seems to help out with aligning stuff, you can still notice ghosting if the camera is not immobile). right now, i have more of a portrait lens, so getting those cool big 'scape shots to set off the hdr effects will have to wait 'til i can afford zoom/telephoto stuff.
Yeah, luckily my parents had an old tripod they let me have. I have my camera set up to take 5 shots. Writing 5 RAW files to the SD card takes about 15 seconds. That's a long time to hold it perfectly still.

#52 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 02:17 AM

View Postbrewin, on Apr 19 2008, 05:01 PM, said:

Yeah, luckily my parents had an old tripod they let me have. I have my camera set up to take 5 shots. Writing 5 RAW files to the SD card takes about 15 seconds. That's a long time to hold it perfectly still.
brew, doesn't the camera buffer them first? i thought if the auto bracket option was available, the camera would buffer rapid shooting, even in raw...

#53 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:53 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 19 2008, 09:31 AM, said:

Egad Mo, three shots, I'm afraid a tripod would do my shaky hands little good. I would need a concrete pillar to mount the camera and then use only one finger to fire the shutter. If you travel around and get some of those pics of the Giant Redwoods, please post some. I was there in 1971 and was amazed and enthralled with those trees but the photo technology of the day could, in no way, begin to capture those magnificent trees. Of course, anything you can post would be great...talker. ;)

#54 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:16 AM

i would love to head to the coast/forest. thanks for reminding me. they are really beautiful. wow, i am kinda losing it here, they are a hop and a skip away. i'll take some days off. a good plan all way 'round ;)

#55 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:55 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 19 2008, 09:17 PM, said:

brew, doesn't the camera buffer them first? i thought if the auto bracket option was available, the camera would buffer rapid shooting, even in raw...
I don't think it does. I could be wrong. All I know is that it takes about 3 seconds for each shot.

I went down to the nature area today and took some pics. There wasn't a lot of color, just green and brown, so they're not very good IMO.

Here's one of them:
Attached File  foresthdr.jpg   2.67MB   11 downloads

Photoshopped:
Attached File  forestwall.jpg   726.59K   15 downloads

#56 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

brew, how did you get that "oil painting" effect in the second picture?

#57 brewin

brewin

Victory is mine!

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on Apr 20 2008, 11:23 AM, said:

brew, how did you get that "oil painting" effect in the second picture?
It's the Sponge filter in Photoshop.

#58 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

View Postbrewin, on Apr 20 2008, 10:19 AM, said:

It's the Sponge filter in Photoshop.
I dont know if MO's worthy of "The Sponge"

#59 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:56 AM

lol!

well, until i get a tripod and more importantly, a telephoto/zoom, i have tried HDR on "found' objects.
here is the original (my very first pic w/the camera, lol):
Attached File  Inventories_3_14_08_001.jpg   471.01K   8 downloads

and the HDR version:
Attached File  hdr_photomax.jpg   1.44MB   7 downloads

you can see, despite the obvious "shaky hand effect" (shadows and lettering), that the HRD pic seems to kinda be more "real" (the metal parts stand out from the painted areas, along with the paper labels). this is the stock HDR treatment, so the effect is fairly subtle (i can't help the background "bokeh" with this lens. i love the effect, but also wanted to see how the pavement and object interacted with the treatment. gotta get a zoom!)

#60 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:34 AM

I took my little instamatic out today to see if i could get "HR" pics like a digital. I had to shoot many, many more shots with a film based camera, and laying the negatives one on top of the other exactly was quite a feat. but HERE is my end result! :giggle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users