#1 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:04 AM

Howdy.

I got the first Vista beta they put out, but never got around to actually installing it. (I had trouble getting the install to finish, and gave up on it because of lack of time)

However, I just got he RC1 and am going to give it a try.

I have a spare HD that I'm getting ready to reformat. It's 160gb, and I think I'm going to split it into thirds. Fwiw, I never went to x64 all the way, (I want a decent software firewall, fully functioning ATI MMC and Gemstar Guide for my AIW, and well, I didn't think it's be worth it to buy x64 with Vista around the corner). BUT, I'm going to slap my new x64 trial on one of the other partitions on that HD and use the last partition for back up images of my main OS (located on my main HD config, a RAID +0 array).

What I'm wondering is, since I know this RC1 will be old news in a month or two when they release the next build, and from what I've read it has a whole different take on dual booting, which partition should I put it on for now? The 1st, 2nd, or 3rd? I'm figuring that x64 and Vista will be on the first 2 partitions, and the last one will be used for my back up purposes, but does it matter if I put Vista on the 1st or 2nd or does it even matter? There won't be a problem with dual booting as far as my main OS goes, because when I screw around with x64 or Vista I'll just change the spare HD to the 1st HD in my BIOS.

Anyhow, as I know dual booting, and even removing Vista is a strange or at least different process from what I've read what do you guys recommend?

Btw, specs:
Opty 148 @ 2.8ghz
2 x 1gb Super Talent DDR500 @ DDR512
ATI AIW x1900
2 x 200gb Maxtor SATA in RAID +0
160gb IDE Maxtor
Asus A8n SLI Premium
etc

Edited by eniparadoxgma, 14 September 2006 - 01:07 AM.

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:24 AM

well, for sanitys' sake i would give vista it's own drive. not worth the hassle of dealing w/ partitions, imho...

#3 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:31 AM

I totally agree with MO!! Trust me, I speak with experience. MO knows how much trouble I had trying to get mine to work with Raid and then partitions. I ended up just using a entire drive. Much much easier.

#4 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:33 AM

definately, give it its own boot sector and make it C

#5 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:38 AM

Um ... I have mine installed in the forth partition in RAID 0 with no problems at all. First time I installed it I had it on my D drive again without problems. Do people really have trouble if it's on a drive that isn't C?

#6 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:46 AM

See, I figured that by sticking it on the spare drive and only switching the HD priority in my BIOS when I felt like booting off that drive (playin around with Vista or x64) I wouldn't run into any problems with it trying to take over my main OS, because I can just switch my main HD back to my RAID array when I feel like it. So, it would see itself as a C: drive when I use it but would be delegated to some G or H drive from my main OS.

So, in my opinion, my main OS and RAID array won't even be touched by Vista. I won't even have the RAID array plugged in when I install it, and will only see Vista when I intentionally change the HD priority in BIOS when I feel like messing with it.

However, I really don't need the whole 160gb for Vista, and was hoping to use part of that drive for back up purposes and perhaps put x64 on there somewhere as well. Will this not work out then? And will removing Vista to put on a newer version mean wiping the entire drive or?

#7 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 01:51 AM

Oh, by the way, I don't know if this happens to everyone but no matter what drive/partition I put Vista onto ,when I boot Vista it always shows as C drive without me setting it as C ...

#8 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:05 AM

One HDD, one partition, one love !

Never mind !

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:00 AM

View Postvrosa x64, on Sep 13 2006, 07:05 PM, said:

One HDD, one partition, one love !

Never mind !
:( :angry:

#10 nitram

nitram

NITRISCO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

I have vista on a 250gig drive. Seems to be faster when it has its on space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users