20 replies to this topic

#1 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

Hi all, As you may all know, my house went solar back in January. I've conserved a bit by using CFL and unplugging the vampire suckers, but the Air is running using the sun to power it, and its a nice 71F in here. Take a look at my past usage. Those were my 600.00 and 400.00 past years bills

My current bill:

Attached Image: July09.jpg

#2 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

Wow, really, it's great. But I wonder, how much did it cost to get the solar panels and all that stuff installed? I remember seeing a show on TV that was talking about those houses that produce more electricity than they consume and other environmentally-friendly electricity sources, and they were all amazing ideas but couldn't be massively implemented because of the initial cost for the consumer. I know they have some program here in Quebec for people who want to produce electricity with their house but I think there are like less than 10 houses that actually do it...

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

Initial costs are a bit high, mine was about $40,000, but with the tax incentives, i got a $11,000 rebate from my Electric provider, and a 30% tax credit from our government. basically i paid only half the cost. and am generating a surplus which is fed into the grid for me to use if i have a more demand for power or for someone else to use.

I expect my ROI (return on investment) to pay off in 4 years given the increase on electric charges from the providers. and my guarantee is for 30 years I am only one in 6 houses that currently have solar in my city

#4 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

Nice, I would have expected something in the range of 10+ years, and with those incentives I think it's really worth it. I can't understand why people prefer to pay more for a bigger car for instance instead of something like this that actually gives you something back, both in terms of money and of the fact of not polluting.

#5 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

View Posthog, on Jul 19 2009, 01:19 PM, said:

Nice, I would have expected something in the range of 10+ years, and with those incentives I think it's really worth it. I can't understand why people prefer to pay more for a bigger car for instance instead of something like this that actually gives you something back, both in terms of money and of the fact of not polluting.
I love the fact im not polluting the earth. so far i've saved us from 3.895 Tons of Carbon being released into the air. I'm hoping to get a internet based tracking system up so you all can follow me on my usage and tracking

#6 Sphere

Sphere

The moth next to my brain is Bart, say hi to him if you like

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:45 PM

Especially one thing...

Your electric bill is actually understandable!

You should see mine! It's a whole list of things I get back, I have to pay, taxes, etc. etc.
Here, pretty much nobody actually understands their electric bill and just pays it because they want electricity

#7 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:57 PM

You bring up a good point. When you generate your own power, you dont pay those taxes either, along with power imported (from other sources at a higher rate)

#8 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts
  • Interests:I'm a Dutchy, that means I'm not a German (which doesn't sound/look the same to me!) also, being a Dutchy means I'm an idiot... sort off!

And I def. need to get a real life again... I'm bored with my current life, ideas can be pm'd to me!

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:45 PM

Aren't you supposed to GET money from your power-supplier in stead of paying them?

#9 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:21 AM

No, any surplus that I generate is a wash at the end of my NM'd year

#10 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:05 AM

That's awesome Nvy, good on ya. I'd love to see an electric bill like that. Are there any regular upkeep or maintenance charges that go along with being fully solar? And, do you know if they're easily upgradeable to a newer design when/if they become available?

#11 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:35 AM

The panels dont require much maintenance except a quick hosing off every once in a while. since they are guaranteed for 20-30 years there isnt much need to upgrade on a full system, but you can get started with a few panels and a good inverter and add more panels to the system over time

#12 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

-4.6 .. that's awesome Dave. I think I'll look into this myself. Very cool.

#13 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

Here's an update on my quest for a greener world through solar power. As you probably know, July and August have been HOT months in Cal. 90 and 100 degrees. I've been running the Air Conditioner mostly 24/7, and have maxed out my solar generation vs power usage to a tune of 34kWH this month. Now being new to solar, I thought generating a surplus would save me money, but as it turns out if i use a slight amount of SCE's energy, (or the energy I supplied them as a surplus) I save even more by the amount of about a dollar. At any case, I present you with my August bill, a whopping .82 cents :cc_surrender:

Attached Image: Aug.jpg

#14 David_Heavey

David_Heavey

=IBF2= Cofounder

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:52 PM

View PostNvyseal, on Aug 15 2009, 08:30 PM, said:

I present you with my August bill, a whopping .82 cents :green_beer:

Dave, if you need any help paying it I'm sure we can get a whip around for ya :cc_surrender:

#15 Sphere

Sphere

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, just send me your paypal-account. It'll be fine, we'll help you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users