- - - - -

Consoles as We Know Them are Gone

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

images/news/gaming.jpgAlex St. John, DirectX architect, swims against the current and predicts the demise not of PC gaming, but of game consoles, in this exclusive two-part interview at ExtremeTech. In addition, Alex discusses how Microsoft and Intel have been a thorn in the PC Gaming industry, and how the future of graphics and CPU technology will pave the way for PC dominance as a gaming platform.

ExtremeTech

Go Chriso! :cc_surrender:

#2 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:53 PM

Interesting...

I love my PCs :cc_surrender:

#3 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

That's interesting, but I don't think consoles are just gonna die like this. It's true they're obviously going through difficult times though... But Sony did say their console would have a 10-year lifetime. Microsoft could also extend the 360's life to 7 or 8 years too if Sony does that. And Nintendo, better not make predictions avout whatever thing they're gonna come up with.

After all, people thought consoles were dead back in the 80's but Nintendo and SEGA made wonderful consoles to create the market as we know it now.

Consoles are not dead. Sony maybe is, though, seeing how bad they're doing now... And it wouldn't be a bad thing IMHO. Although we would need another company to step in for competition for Microsoft. Cause Nintendo doesn't count, they're alone in their little motion-controlled world.

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:18 PM

wii wii

:cc_surrender:

#5 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:41 PM

View Posthog, on Mar 21 2008, 10:07 AM, said:

Consoles are not dead. Sony maybe is, though, seeing how bad they're doing now... And it wouldn't be a bad thing IMHO.

Dude Sony isn't even close to being dead. They are outselling the xbox now. And where MS adds a few more functions to their box twice a year, Sony is always adding more updates every month. Sony is far far far from being dead.

Consoles themselves will not die for a long long time. To many people like them because you don't have to upgrade them every year or every other year to run the newest and best game like a PC. I peronally have pretty much given up on PC gaming. It's a waste of money. I find sitting on my couch or lazyboy much much more enjoyable anyways.

#6 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Mar 21 2008, 08:41 AM, said:

//snip
To many people like them because you don't have to upgrade them every year or every other year to run the newest and best game like a PC. I peronally have pretty much given up on PC gaming. It's a waste of money. I find sitting on my couch or lazyboy much much more enjoyable anyways.
:cc_surrender: Yep, i agree. (when i can game that is)

#7 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Mar 21 2008, 11:41 AM, said:

Dude Sony isn't even close to being dead. They are outselling the xbox now. And where MS adds a few more functions to their box twice a year, Sony is always adding more updates every month. Sony is far far far from being dead.

Consoles themselves will not die for a long long time. To many people like them because you don't have to upgrade them every year or every other year to run the newest and best game like a PC. I peronally have pretty much given up on PC gaming. It's a waste of money. I find sitting on my couch or lazyboy much much more enjoyable anyways.
Can you name half the number of good games on PS3 compared to 360? :cc_surrender:

I agree about the upgrade and comfortness thing. Although in my case the computer desk chair is also a couch... and my bed... (got a futon)

#8 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 21 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

Yea, I agree it needs work on the games it offers. However, it has plenty of great games that the xbox has as well. It's only real problem is not having any big hits that are just for PS3. Other than that they don't really have a problem. And with Metal Gear Solid coming this June that will be fixed.

#9 hog

hog

official linguist

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 11:45 PM

View Postchriso_86, on Mar 21 2008, 03:32 PM, said:

Yea, I agree it needs work on the games it offers. However, it has plenty of great games that the xbox has as well. It's only real problem is not having any big hits that are just for PS3. Other than that they don't really have a problem. And with Metal Gear Solid coming this June that will be fixed.
Yeah, I agree the future does looks better with MGS4, GT5 and FFXIII coming up in a more or less close future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users