• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 talker

talker

Being a Priest is not always easy.

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Interests:Ah lets see...gee, I know...computers.

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:58 AM

Hello Everyone,
Well, if you remember, I built a Vista Ultimate x64 system a while back and really only used it to watch cable TV. My XP x64 main system is getting a little long in tooth so I thought it may be a good idea to start the change over before the older system has an unrecoverable problem and all is lost. The Vista system has an AMD 5200 AM2, Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4 (rev. 1.0), 8 GB Micron DDR2-667, Nvidia 8500 x 2 in SLI, Seagate 320 GB 7200.10 SATA II HDD, Creative Audigy 4. When the system was set up as the TV watcher, it also had a MSI TV@nywhere Tuner Card. When I went to set the system up as a production system, I removed the Tuner Card and all the software. I also uninstalled anything that was not going to be needed. The system always ran perfectly as the TV watcher.

I loaded Office Ultimate 2007, Microsoft Money Plus, and a few small programs that I use all the time like Paint.NET and Winsnap. Everything seemed to be working pretty good. Nothing compared to the old XP x64 system but overall, acceptable. I restored all my backups to Outlook, Money, etc and all seemed to go in and be usable. Still not with the speed and smoothness of the old system but, like I said, acceptable. I caught up all the Vista updates in that the system had been under a desk for a while. Everything seemed OK but the system would bog down pretty fast. With the CPU that is in the system and 8 GB RAM, I really could not see how or why it would just slow down like molasseses. Not only would the computing slow down but the internet and internal network as well. Then I was notified by the system that SP1 was available. There had been a few error notifications from Vista like "the last problem was caused by the Nvidia graphics drivers". What problem? I had not seen nor experienced any sort of problem. The Nvidia drivers are the ones that have been installed since I installed the two 8500 in SLI. The drivers have always worked well so I have not updated them. There were several odd messeges like that. Then came the time to install SP1 with the thought that maybe (?) some of the problems may be smoothed out. The forever installation continued and rebooted the system. Stage 1, 100%, Stage 2, 100%, Stage 3, 100%, and then the message that the SP1 did not install and all changes were being reversed. The uninstall took forever...again. Then the problems really started. System hangs, graphics distortions in normal use, program hangs, web pages not being found yet hit "refresh" and there the page appears, a very, very slow 6MB DSL connection yet on the other systems on the network, the DSL was normal. There was nothing stated as to why SP1 did not install. No log file. No read me file. Nothing at all except the notification that it did not install. It finally got so bad that I am now back on the old XP x64 system. I guess I will install XP X64 SP2 on the 5200 system since Vista doesn't seem to want to work. I tought about a clean install of Ultimate x64 but there is a great fear that, since it is Vista, nothing would change and I would end up formating and installing XP x64 anyway.

Sorry about the novel here guys but I wanted you to fully understand what went on and see if any of you have a thought or idea or two before I wipe it out and install XP x64. I can at least say that I tried Vista in a production system and it miserably failed. I wish I could go with a 64 bit version Server 2008 like some of you have but that is outside my budget. I know there are trial editions that go to 240 days I think but this is for my main production system so I don't want to risk the reload and honestly I don't have the time for that. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening...Bill. :roadrunner:

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 04:38 AM

so you had x64 vista on it at one time, then you put xp x64 on it, then you reput x64 vista on? or it always had x64vista on it, and you didn't use it all that much, and then you added more apps, like your xp install, and it went south? i'm sorry bill, it's late, i'm old, and i ain't got to much attentions left...

#3 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 06:15 AM

damn Talker, that sounds like a bad experience.

I was running Vista64bit for a good long while and didn't have any problems, other than games. If I wasn't into PC gaming, I'd still run Vista. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences.
\

#4 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:20 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on May 20 2008, 11:38 PM, said:

so you had x64 vista on it at one time, then you put xp x64 on it, then you reput x64 vista on? or it always had x64vista on it, and you didn't use it all that much, and then you added more apps, like your xp install, and it went south? i'm sorry bill, it's late, i'm old, and i ain't got to much attentions left...

Hi Mo,
Vista was clean installed onto the system and used for TV watching. There was a minimum of apps in that they weren't needed. The TV tuner was uninstalled and Office, Money, etc installed. Still working off the clean install. Then all the problems began and ended with the failed install of SP1. I have no idea why SP1 didn't install it just didn't and Microsoft didn't seem motivated enough to tell me. XP x64 has not been installed but that is the thought in that I am worried that to format and reinstall Vista Ult x64 would be just to repeat the same end result. :roadrunner:

#5 VROSA

VROSA

Ghost Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • Interests:Hardware, Software, Alphas and Betas, OS Mods, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Linux, Games, Fun, Friends.

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

Stage 1, 100%, Stage 2, 100%, Stage 3, 100%, and then the message that the SP1 did not install and all changes were being reversed

That happened to me once... I had to reformat and install SP1 on the clean install ! :roadrunner:

#6 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

well dang, mrT...the only things i can come up with atm, is that some apps/drivers are not compatible w/ the service pack, atm (you could try uninstalling the apps you put on prior to the sp1 attempt), then try installing the sp again, then reinstall these. did you install any of those early sp1 betas, by any chance?

#7 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:00 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on May 21 2008, 10:58 AM, said:

well dang, mrT...the only things i can come up with atm, is that some apps/drivers are not compatible w/ the service pack, atm (you could try uninstalling the apps you put on prior to the sp1 attempt), then try installing the sp again, then reinstall these. did you install any of those early sp1 betas, by any chance?

No, Mo, on this system I stayed away from the SP1 Betas. Nearly all the apps that I installed were Microsoft apps which I know now a days means little, especially when it comes to Vista. Call me dumb but I guess I will format and reload Ultimate x64. The wireless Sager lappy with Home Premium (32 bit) performs well with the same apps. It may well be just the install corrupted somehow on the 5200 system. Does the Server 2008 have the Aero? Just wondering. I'll let everyone know of the progress when I get things going....sigh. :moreilly: :roadrunner:

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:39 AM

hey bill, i wonder if it is an amd thingy. yes, you can set up server w/aero and all the candy stuff. i just hate to see you reformat and everything else... :roadrunner:

#9 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

View Postm.oreilly, on May 21 2008, 10:39 PM, said:

hey bill, i wonder if it is an amd thingy. yes, you can set up server w/aero and all the candy stuff. i just hate to see you reformat and everything else... :moreilly:

I guess that is a possiblility or at least an avenue to consider. The Sager wireless lappy is an old 3.06 Ghz P4 (w/o hyperthreading) with 1 GB RAM. It runs Home Premium without any problems or hesitations. It has all the programs installed (Office 2007, Money, Quickbooks Pro, etc) that I tried to use on the AMD 5200 which is many times the system of the Sager (Dual core, 8GB RAM, SLI 8500s). Perhaps I will play with the system some more before I cut it loose. By what all of you have written, the Server 2008 sounds the better choice over Vista. I wish I could do that. Thanks Mo...Bill. :roadrunner:

Edited by talker, 22 May 2008 - 12:43 PM.

#10 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 03:39 PM

Vista ain't worth all the effort Bill, honestly, stick with what works is my motto :moreilly:

Server 2008 if you must, but XP for a hassle free life.

:roadrunner:

S.

#11 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

:roadrunner: There are known issues with SP1 and the AMD...but i thought they fixed it? Hmmm. Sorry to hear about that Bill. I haven't messed around on my home box in a while...but i am planning to do a clean install of Vista Ultimate x64 again (big suprise huh?) since Server 2008 x64 isn't working quite the way i wanted as my main OS (another big surprise huh?!). Then again, i mostly use my lappy now-a-days. :moreilly:

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:22 AM

ok christo, i'm expecting a full report... :roadrunner:

#13 Christopholofigus

Christopholofigus

NQA-1

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts
  • Interests:Holy CRAPBALLS! I totally remember this place!

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

Nothing to really report...a few blue screens, some issues...ok..i'll report in a week or so.

#14 talker

talker

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 03:15 AM

Thanks Christo for doing some looking and trying. On my end I d/l SP1 and tried the update that way. The result was exactly the same. I did remove several non-traditional programs like IE Zoomer and WinSnap prior to the attempt thinking one of those odder programs may have been the problem. I guess not. Just to see if the problem may be AMD/SP1, I am going to format and reload Ultimate x64 and try again. Even if it fails, there would be some good information to pass on to others. I keep you posted on the progress... :roadrunner:

#15 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:25 PM

View Posttalker, on May 23 2008, 08:15 PM, said:

Thanks Christo for doing some looking and trying. On my end I d/l SP1 and tried the update that way. The result was exactly the same. I did remove several non-traditional programs like IE Zoomer and WinSnap prior to the attempt thinking one of those odder programs may have been the problem. I guess not. Just to see if the problem may be AMD/SP1, I am going to format and reload Ultimate x64 and try again. Even if it fails, there would be some good information to pass on to others. I keep you posted on the progress... :roadrunner:
Good morning Talker -

Would it help if you installed Ultimate x64 with Sp1 already integrated into it? Ill put it up on FTP for you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users