#1 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:09 AM

Howdy.

Installed Vista x64 today, updated everything on WU, installed all my drivers, haven't done SP1 yet but will tomorrow, etc.

I was just wondering about something: Is slight blurriness in some installation windows and what not normal? Here's what I'm talking about:

Posted Image

I don't usually have that kind of blurriness...

What say you, Vister users?

#2 banj0

banj0

American Idle

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:14 AM

Hmm...I don't really see anything blurry. You're not talking about the window frame are you? Cause that's the transparency effect.

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:23 AM

do you have the latest gpu drivers?

#4 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:27 AM

View Postbanj0, on Feb 21 2008, 10:14 PM, said:

Hmm...I don't really see anything blurry. You're not talking about the window frame are you? Cause that's the transparency effect.

I'm referring to the writing inside the Steam window and also the writing inside the Creative console window. Pretty much all the writing there is just a tad bit blurry on my end, as if Cleartype is enabled but is a little overpowering or something. It's just not crystal clear like the font under the icons on my desktop and what not. If I could find the real display options I could try to mess with it. Where the hell are those options? lol

nvy: Yeah, I installed the latest Catalysts from the amd/ati site today.

#5 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:35 AM

accidental double post ftwz0rz!1

Edited by eniparadoxgma, 22 February 2008 - 03:37 AM.

#6 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:35 AM

I almost forgot. Here's something I thought was completely crazy. The Vista Windows Experience rating for my 2 year old x1900 All-in-wonder is 5.9...

Not only that, but according to Vista my 256mb card not only has the 256mb dedicated memory, but also has another 768mb of shared video memory, bring my GPU memory up to a whopping 1gb. What the hell is it talking about?!? :cc_surrender:

Posted Image

#7 RJsPC

RJsPC

Sponge Bob Guru Pants

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:38 AM

I see what you're talking about, and I don't recall seeing it on my system (I'll have to boot up Vista a look)

Maybe She (Vista) was just feeling a little misty eyed and emotional, because you finally decided to start dating her
Don't worry, it wont be long and the romance will fade, She'll then be seeing thing very sharply (from her perspective) and scold you for doing something she doesn't approve of :cc_surrender:

(sorry Dave got me thinking this way, so it's his fault not mine,.,.,.,.,.,.,., wait, now I sound like the women)

Think I need to watch a good chick flick and have a good cry :g: :lol:

#8 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 03:50 AM

:lol: You're scarin' me, RJ.

The only good chick flick is the XXX kind.

I did find the Cleartype option and turned it off, but it didn't change a thing. Seems to only be 3rd party app windows that have the issue though. All my Windows and IE windows aren't suffering from the blurriness.

I'll give her a kick in the butt (reboot) and see if it helps any. :cc_surrender:

#9 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:13 AM

So I'm going to spam my own thread. What of it? :cc_surrender:

Here's why I HATE Vista:

Posted Image

See if you can tell what's wrong with that picture. For the record, that's doing absolutely nothing other than downloading a game through Steam (pausing the d/l didn't change anything) and even using a gig and a half of a flash drive for ReadyBoost.

Anyone wants to link me to any tweaks offhand to kill the bloated monster that is Vista, feel free to share.

#10 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:16 AM

never did see such a thing. you ain't got that there windowblinds installed, have you?

#11 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:25 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 21 2008, 11:16 PM, said:

never did see such a thing. you ain't got that there windowblinds installed, have you?
Sorry people. I should really research these things before posting. :cc_surrender:

Apparently it's completely normal for you to not have any physical RAM not being either used or cached as Vista's "Superfetch" feature loads your most used programs and similar crap into unused RAM in order to speed up programs opening and what not.

"Vista is trying its darndest to pre-emptively populate every byte of system memory with what it thinks I might need next. It's running a low-priority background task that harvests previously accessed data from the disk and plops it into unused system memory. They even have a fancy marketing name for it: Superfetch. Vista treats system memory like a cache much more aggressively and effectively than any other version of Windows. As alluded to in the above lunch anecdote-- and as you can see from the Task Manager screenshot above-- Windows XP has no qualms whatsoever about leaving upwards of a gigabyte of system memory empty. From a caching perspective, this is unfathomable. Vista tries its damndest to fill that empty system memory cache as soon as it can."

However:

Although I am a total believer in the system-memory-as-cache religion, SuperFetch can still have some undesirable side effects. I first noticed that something was up when I fired up Battlefield 2 under Vista and joined a multiplayer game. Battlefield 2 is something of a memory hog; the game regularly uses a gigabyte of memory on large 64-player multiplayer maps. During the first few minutes of gameplay, I noticed that the system was a little sluggish, and the drive was running constantly. This was very unusual and totally unlike the behavior under Windows XP. Once the map is loaded and you join the game, the entire game is in memory. What could possibly be loading from disk at that point? Well, SuperFetch saw a ton of memory freed to make room for the game, and dutifully went about filling the leftover free memory on a low-priority background disk thread. Normally, this would be no big deal, but even a low-priority background disk thread is pretty noticeable when you're playing a twitch shooter online with 63 other people at a resolution of 1600x1200

So...I know some of you guys use Vister to game on...is there a way around this? Do you just disable SuperFetch altogether or?

On edit: I guess SuperFetch also doesn't explain why I'm sitting at 1gb RAM used at idle...

dwm.exe aka aero glass is taking 100mb at idle
svchost.exe is taking 100mb at idle

Grrr.

Edited by eniparadoxgma, 22 February 2008 - 04:29 AM.

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:29 AM

sure
disable it
and your pagefile
and windows search
and...

#13 eniparadoxgma

eniparadoxgma

Thomas S. Arashikage

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:42 AM

View Postm.oreilly, on Feb 21 2008, 11:29 PM, said:

sure
disable it
and your pagefile
and windows search
and...

:cc_surrender:

I disabled Windows Search, SuperFetch, and some other crap and I'm now down to 52% of my RAM being used at idle.

WOO HOO!

On edit: Then I disabled Aero and now I'm back up to 56%!!! haha

Edited by eniparadoxgma, 22 February 2008 - 04:47 AM.

#14 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:29 AM

well, turn aero back on...you know you want to... :cc_surrender:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users