30 replies to this topic

#1 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:00 AM

well, i broke down and installed it. still just checking the waters. my m-audio card failed to install (again), but i'll give it another go. still have to reboot to disable all the "protection". here are some screenies to look at while i meddle about:

Attached File  1.jpg   99.09K   61 downloads

Attached Files

#2 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

alright! got the m-audio to work! had to press F8 during boot, and choose the "disable signed driver..." option, though i'm sure i'll have to do this every time i restart (no new m-audio x64 drivers. these are from '05!). windows sounds are very understated, everything seems a bit smoother this time around, more refined. and no, i still refuse to use internet exploder :cheers: or windows mail :rolleyes: as mozilla still has a home here. next, after disabling the user protection stuff, is to take ownership of the root drive, and on to more app compatibly
tests :yahoo:

#3 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:06 AM

Sweet!! MOre pics Please!

#4 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:49 AM

a few more desktop backgrounds:
Attached File  2.jpg   143.95K   56 downloads

the m-audio is up and running!:
Attached File  3.jpg   22.58K   35 downloads

the windows version #:
Attached File  4.jpg   31.53K   42 downloads

and the system rating we have all come to love/hate:
Attached File  5.jpg   61.36K   67 downloads

will people buy it? certainly. will people love it? the jury is out. until more apps/hardware are using "signed"/ "vista approved" drivers (also the specter of HD playback, its' expensive hardware, and DRM), and because of the heavy drain on your wallet this OS and its' varying flavors will cause, i am hesitant, atm, to embrace this "new" version of Windows :cheers:

#5 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:56 AM

well, after a few reboots, the x64 m-audio drivers started their classic behavior of crashing the party :cheers: (and it sounded so sweet with the new vista HQ audio files...). oh well, back to on board for now. everything seems much "zippier", the system responds faster than in the betas and RCs. we'll see...

#6 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:13 AM

WOW!! cool, we have our 1st thread in Vista Final even before its been released to retail!! Thanks MO! :cheers:

#7 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:23 AM

I take it you were bored 'M'?..........or are suffering from some stress disorder?.........Vista isn't REAL!!......c'mon.......have a lie down and think about the long implications.......we will understand buddy...

You have a good sleep and all will be better in the morning.......I promise!

Guyz.......remove his PC immediately!....... :cheers: :yahoo:

#8 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:29 AM

:cheers:

#9 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:44 AM

had a surprise just now. as i was installing divx (i only use the codec), i received an error from vista: " this application has known issues with vista..."...yeah, right, like i will go without the codec. well, after installing it like i have done in the betas, and running an old backup of an "avengers" episode (divx/matroska), played back through MPC: it seems the codec installed and ran just fine. the rtm is running much better than i expected, very quick, to the point that i forget i am not running a lean copy of xp. i have to admit that the audio is awesome, and the gui, video, etc. are quite an improvement over xp, even though the drivers are not "mature" by any standards.

#10 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:25 AM

Very nice MO!! I will have mine up sometime tomorrow! I plan on buying it still, just want to figure out which version I am going to buy. I'll be sure to let everyone know my experience.

#11 BlueScreenOfDeath

BlueScreenOfDeath

~* Hardware & Beta Guru *~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:56 PM

Been running mine for about a week and a half... no problems here. Almost everything i have thrown at it works :cheers: and UAC isnt that bad anymore...doesnt nag so much once you teach it

#12 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:09 AM

here are a few vista rtm system sounds:

Attached File  chimes.wav   211.29K   46 downloads

Attached File  recycle.wav   109.17K   36 downloads

Attached File  notify.wav   223.04K   33 downloads

Attached File  Windows_Error.wav   167.54K   39 downloads

Attached File  Windows_Hardware_Insert.wav   98.42K   39 downloads

#13 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:20 PM

well, darn. it seems that the Vista RTM has tamed my fickle OS wanderlust for the time being (it just happened, without warning <_< ), though i have installed my fav .iso burning app, just in case... :rofl: one thing i find annoying though, is trying to get good audio support while hosting chats in skype. this could be a 64bit issue, as if someone else hosts, i get great levels (the audio drivers available atm could also have some bearing here). yep, i'm still enjoying 64bit Vista :jerry: (tonight, CS2 and a few other apps will be installed and given their turn to run under this fledgling RTM... :jerry: ).

#14 Guest_scaramonga_*

Guest_scaramonga_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:07 PM

Let me know how CS2 runs Mr 'M' <_< :jerry:

#15 chriso_86

chriso_86

Director of Technology Development

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,271 posts
  • Interests:GOLFING, biking, movies, gaming (pc and xbox360), hanging with friends.

Posted 20 November 2006 - 11:22 PM

Well, I have mine installed and working now! It seems to be pretty darn nice!! I was able to install my X-Fi with the newest creative beta drivers without having to boot into the unsigned driver mode or whatever which was nice!!

I had problems with Nvidia's latest drivers on my machine. If I leave it alone for awhile when I come back the screen has gone all funky with crazy colors and wavy lines. You can't recognize anything, you have to restart to fix this. And it does it everytime, not just a one time deal. I uninstalled the beta drivers and went with the drivers that it installed with. I tried to install BF2142 and when I boot into the game the menu is all screwewd up so you can't really play. So, I guess I will have to wait for more drivers to come out before I try games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users