4 replies to this topic

#1 Visentinel

Visentinel

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:37 AM

I wrote a review about my new Modem Router.

It was mainly to provide a reference for people @ Whirlpool Australian Broadband News Site

Since this forum is Empty i might aswell be the first >=)

I bought a new router on Tuesday morning and I've had plenty of time to learn about all its quirks and features and what exactly it is capable of.

Overview:

Excellent Piece of machinery, very powerful indeed.

NAT Capability: Iv run up to 1050 concurrent connections over bitcomet bittorent client and i had no speed declines, ping problems or any kind of instability, and the admin page was fully accessible.

QoS: The Router picked up the TOS bits in the VoIP packets been sent by my Sipura SPA-3000 ATA box without any problems, The QoS page only has options for setting HTTP, ftp, pop etc traffic types to low medium or high and only allows for a port to be entered in only 3 custom QoS fields.

Port Forwarding: 16 entries for Single port and 16 entries for port range entries.

Stability: Excellent

Features Rundown: QoS / SPI Firewall / pppoe-pppoa / VPN / ADSL1 ADSL2 ADSL2+ / NAT Security / URL Filtering / Block sites by keywords /
block Java, Active X code & cookies / Single session passthrough / UPnP

Problems...:

I was unable to run a tracerout using pppoa, however pppoe was fine.

QoS didn't seem to work very well over pppoa, however as before, pppoe was fine.

The Admin page can take some time to become responsive again after configuring or reconfiguring the basic setup page which is where you choose pppoe or oa and enter the connection details.

the latest Firmware version 1.00.15 wich is still in BETA fixes the trace-rout and QoS problems on pppoa but causes the router to forward incoming connection requests to the entire network, whether you have a port forwarded for them or not, which can cause LAN issues and also having all those packets sent out to every LAN connected device on that subnet could be dangerous.

Another problem i found with the V1.00.15 Firmware is the connection frequently dropped out, and also Line Sync was also very Unstable, restoring V1.00.7 Restored Line sync stability.

For now i highly recommend sticking with Firmware version 1.00.7 and using pppoe.

Thats about it, this modem ignoring the problems with firmware 1.00.7 the Linksys AG241 is bloody fantastic, and you can hammer away your Torrents Without worrying that your router will freeze when you overwhelm your routers NAT Table, i have reached 1050 myself and i don't feel i need more than 1000 so I'm not going to push my luck :( however, if you find out exactly how many it can reach, just drop me a comment on this page

Edited by Visentinel, 08 October 2005 - 11:39 AM.

#2 Neon

Neon

Karl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:11 PM

A great insight into that thanks V'

Interesting and highly detailed as always

:( :P

#3 ACiD BuRN

ACiD BuRN

the always learning student

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 08:08 PM

I see that Linksys are getting better with their network hardaware :P... I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router at home and I like it alot :(

#4 clarky3429

clarky3429

No I will not fix your computer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,712 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:34 PM

i have the same as you - version 3 aswell, they are great!!

#5 RedInferno

RedInferno

Your mom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 11:50 PM

Very insightful, Vis! Great post!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users