#166 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

View Postbizketman101, on 05 May 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

hello all! time for another upgrade! loved the 955be but its time for something new, and something that wont bottleneck my gpu's! after several long nights i've decided to switch to intel. I was thinking about grabbing the i5 2500K because i hear it is excellent for gaming and utilizing multiple gpu's. What's your opinions on it? I know it's older, and the ivy bridge was just released. what i need to upgrade is a new intel cpu and motherboard. i have no clue what a great motherboard would be. i have about $500ish or so to spend. let me know what you guys think :)

Biz

Current items that will go in this new rig:
2 x 6950
8gig 1600mhz ram
and misc harddrives and what not.

Hiya buddy :)

1. Sell the 2 x 6950 cards, not worth the increase (if any) and extra heat they produce. Plus Crossfire headaches will loom even larger on a Sandy Bridge system, get a single decent card setup, Nvidia preferably, but your choice :)

2. RAM for Sandies tend to run @ 1.5v and recommended no more, it's a whole new ball game with this memory thing and SB, but its dirt cheap ATM luckily, so picking up a dual or quad channel set will be peanuts if yours is the 1.65v+ variety?.

3. I'd go for the 2600K (like mine lol) over the 2500K, as you have the hyperthreading which handles an overclock a lot better than my old i7 920 ever did, and the money you make from selling the rot will more than pay for the difference between the 2500 & 2600.

4. As for the board, well, it depends, I got the Asus Z68 v Pro Gen3, but barring the extra SATA ports and nothing else worth mentioning, you would be good to get the Asus Z68V at much less the cost if you dont need these useless features? All in all, a great board, and fantastic at clocking ;)

If you make good money from selling stuff, then grabbing an SSD (SATA3) is recommended if you dont have one.

Good luck!

:)

#167 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

an ib i7 (cheaper than the sb iterations) and an asus board (i loved my asus maximus IV gene-z. i had the i5, but after a bit wished i had sprung for the i7), and an inexpensive ib asus board. pci-e 3 and less power consumption.

#168 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

hey biz, i may have an asus directcu 570 available for sale soon, at a decent price...

#169 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

Oh, one more thing lol, Ivy Bridge, not worth it! It pains me to say it, but Intel's latest iteration is balls and a dead rat in the water. But if you must, get a Gen 3 board which supports this chip anyway (with BIOS updates) but I'd highly recommend not doing so for that reason :)

I have an Asrock Z77 Fatal1ty Pro here running an i7 3770K also (yes I won @ bingo again lol) and it is utter crap for a supposed upgrade, really disappointing to say the least. Giving it to my son running at stock as it will do him for his needs, but not for me thank you ;)

#170 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:40 AM

lol, that's what i said re x79, but it is turning out to be a bit more cool than i had originally thought. atm, for gaming and a mid oc, w/hyper threading (remember, new bios are going to go to ib, not sb...), ib is a better deal all way 'round. ib has new orom/drivers, and it just gets better from here.

#171 bizketman101

bizketman101

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:02 AM

View Postscaramonga, on 06 May 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

Hiya buddy :)

1. Sell the 2 x 6950 cards, not worth the increase (if any) and extra heat they produce. Plus Crossfire headaches will loom even larger on a Sandy Bridge system, get a single decent card setup, Nvidia preferably, but your choice :)

2. RAM for Sandies tend to run @ 1.5v and recommended no more, it's a whole new ball game with this memory thing and SB, but its dirt cheap ATM luckily, so picking up a dual or quad channel set will be peanuts if yours is the 1.65v+ variety?.

3. I'd go for the 2600K (like mine lol) over the 2500K, as you have the hyperthreading which handles an overclock a lot better than my old i7 920 ever did, and the money you make from selling the rot will more than pay for the difference between the 2500 & 2600.

4. As for the board, well, it depends, I got the Asus Z68 v Pro Gen3, but barring the extra SATA ports and nothing else worth mentioning, you would be good to get the Asus Z68V at much less the cost if you dont need these useless features? All in all, a great board, and fantastic at clocking ;)

If you make good money from selling stuff, then grabbing an SSD (SATA3) is recommended if you dont have one.

Good luck!

:)

so you're saying to ditch the cards, pick up an nvidia card and go from there? oh man, what a bummer since i've spent a pretty penny on them. would there be several driver issues or compatibility issues if i stuck with them?

#172 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

keep the cards lol! rik is anti radeon. from what i've seen, an i5 2500k and a new z77 board are a popular combo, so, i'd look at any z77 board that fits your bill, an i5, and whatever else it takes to get you rolling

#173 bizketman101

bizketman101

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

Im thinking this for the mobo, suggestions? overkill?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131818

#174 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:06 AM

this is the max i would spend on a z77. it has all the goodies, does xfire and oc's like the devil:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131830

this if you are not into oc'ing much:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131837

#175 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

wth? ddr3 2626??? man, i want one!

#176 scaramonga

scaramonga

CALLING ALL STATIONS

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:46 AM

Not so much anti-rad, just their driver sets are damn **** lol, and they actually get worse at every release ;)

DDR3 1600 is all you will ever need on any platform after SB, the differences are negligable after that, but the cost ain't :)

Board is fine if you wanna go Z77 Biz, but I'd honestly save some cash by not doing so, and fit a good SSD into your budget or whatever.

#177 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

I do agree with Scara, SSD or even a hybird will give you a boost, SSD more, just a bit more configuration to write to a HD, but we're here for you.

#178 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

lol, talk about a 180! both archie and jughead recommending ssds! reminds me of dave's sig...

#179 Nvyseal

Nvyseal

Chairman of the Board

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,821 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Mo, Since you started dabbling in SSD's things have come a long way. I approve of SSD's now.

I am still a little sketchy on Scara's cooling designs though...

Attached Image: scara cooling.jpg

#180 m.oreilly

m.oreilly

rog'er wilco

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,847 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

lol!

dave re your new views of ssds...were you somehow involved with newt's campaign adverts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users